Running OUT of SPACE! (UHD’s are MONSTERS)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
John777

Running OUT of SPACE! (UHD’s are MONSTERS)

Post by John777 »

Is it just me, or is anyone else out there running out of space?! :shock:

I presently have a Synology DS3617xs (12 bay) with a [present] drive capacity of 40TB’s (that’s “T” as in Tera!! :shock: )

...But, as I’ve been going over to UHD Movies my capacity has DWINDLED (Significantly!), with a SPEED that is literally Taking-My-Breath-Away!

With DVD’s, I would save TON’s of Movies — and even my Synology seemed to have NO Problem with Blu Ray’s.

But, now, only TEN (10) UHD’s are eating up a full TeraByte!!! :shock:

I know, I know — many of you are going to recommend that I either add MORE (higher capacity) drives, or to Rip ONLY the main Movie (And yes, I am “Backing Up” [the ENTIRE disk] :shock: )

No, seriously, I know what I’m doing (seriously :lol: )

I’m just here [primarily] “Venting” about the INSANE Size of UHD rips. :cry:

I KNOW the image/display resolution makes them the Monsters that they are — But I SWEAR, if it wasn’t for having such a HUGE Synology, then I couldn’t/wouldn’t be able to store UHD’s (if this keeps up, then I’ll need at least 100TB, just to store all the UHD’s that I desire!)

I sometimes ask myself, is it (4K) Really Worth it?!? (I don’t even have a 4K TV [Yet] (will be getting one, soon though - Next Costco sale :wink: )).

But, before you guys out there say anything, I’ll just [indeed] ADD a few more Higher Capacity Drives (and stop my Whining/Crying :lol: )

I DO have up to a capacity of 192TB (and higher, if I add an extension unit).

So (again), I’m just here Lamenting (and Venting) about the CRAZY size of UHD’s (That’s All).

Thanks for Listening :wink: :mrgreen:

PS/BTW - Any Newbies out there, learn from my lesson - Storage (with a HUGE Synology or QNAP NAS) is VITAL in this New (UHD) era — And it (the LOW capacity Warning) WILL happen, SOONER, than Later :D
Woodstock

Re: Running OUT of SPACE! (UHD’s are MONSTERS)

Post by Woodstock »

Trust me - 40TB was never going to be enough... Between my two Synologies, I can muster just under 100TB. It's more than half gone, and I have only TWO UHD titles, which aren't even on the system (I put the BD versions on, after running them through handbrake; UHD was only for testing).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

I'm up to 80 TB for my collection so far :shock: - not counting encodes that I store separately - but with only one 4 TB for UHDs, since my primary viewing is currently an older projector, I've limited my UHD buying to favorites that are native 4K and have minimal issues for now (it's quite a rabbit hole once you get into it)...

Being a collector definitely isn't cheap, but there are worse things one could be spending money on!
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Try re-encoding them. You can pretty much halve the video bitrate without noticing any loss of quality and save yourself quite a bit of HDD space. I re-encode all my BD's @ 8000 and UHD's @ 25000 and they look perfectly fine on my 78" TV. As always, audio is untouched as I like my ATMOS setup.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

John777 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:02 am
But, now, only TEN (10) UHD’s are eating up a full TeraByte!!! :shock:
That's kinda the point, right? You wanna get the best quality possible and as such video and audio are maxed out. Given the steady decline of physical media sales you might be restricted to smaller sizes and quality of streamed media that you don't own sooner rather than later.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
WAYFLIX

Post by WAYFLIX »

Just installed a Synology RS1221+ in my rack. 200+ UHD rips so far but I can already see the need for expansion in my future.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:59 am
Try re-encoding them. You can pretty much halve the video bitrate without noticing any loss of quality and save yourself quite a bit of HDD space. I re-encode all my BD's @ 8000 and UHD's @ 25000 and they look perfectly fine on my 78" TV. As always, audio is untouched as I like my ATMOS setup.
What's your process for re-encoding? I haven't used Handbrake for years...are there settings that just copy the audio over un-touched? Also don't you lose Dolby Vision on UHD when re-encoding?
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Same here! I started with a Synology DS1819+ with 8 10TB drives and was up to 97% usage. I'm running in the RAID6 mode (actually SHR-2), so I can survive 2 drive failures, but you loose 2 drives worth of your total storage space for redundancy.

I would have needed to update at least 4 drives to 16TB before I saw any increase in size, and for just a little more I could get a whole new 12-bay NAS.

I ended up upgrading to a RS2418+. I'm now adding 16TB drives to that one and will eventually start replacing the existing 10TB with 16TB. Once that's full, I can add on another 12 drives with an RX1217. Maybe I can start with the left-over 10TB drives and upgrade from there. The maximum I can have on the single NAS in this case will be 352TB.

I've started seeing 18TB drives appear, but they're almost $600: https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital- ... B089S3CZ41

The endgame for NAS would be an FS6400 (24 bays) and an additional 48 bays from 2 x FX2421 for a total 1.12 petabytes with 16TB drives! But it's $20k for the NASs and ~$25k for the drives. :(
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake will copy pretty much any audio codec that is supported by the destination container, but... it doesn't handle HDR or DV video in most cases, without converting it to 8-bit standard dynamic range.

Going with the bigger Synology is something I could afford, but I'm too cheap to do. :)
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 pm
Handbrake will copy pretty much any audio codec that is supported by the destination container, but... it doesn't handle HDR or DV video in most cases, without converting it to 8-bit standard dynamic range.

Going with the bigger Synology is something I could afford, but I'm too cheap to do. :)
Latest Handbrake Nightly build will pass through HDR10 metadata and do full 10bit encoding process with no 8bit down-conversion. Saw it announced on the github tracker for the HDR issue, tested it myself and it works.

I plan to try and see if I can use it to shrink down some DV movies by encoding just the base HDR10 layer, then just muxing it back in with the DV EL after.

See here for the announcement on git:

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... -774639691
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That doesn't quite qualify as an "announcement", although I have added #1307 to my subscriptions.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Cannikin wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:51 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:59 am
What's your process for re-encoding? I haven't used Handbrake for years...are there settings that just copy the audio over un-touched? Also don't you lose Dolby Vision on UHD when re-encoding?
I have a RTX2070 GPU so use nvencc64 command line to re-encode the video. Using hardware encoding, each movie takes less than an hour to encode.

DV can be tricky. I've re-encoded the BTTF trilogy, using nvencc64 for just the BL, outputting a M2TS file, then inserting that BL back into the M2TS movie file using tsmuxer, then using MakeMKV to create a DV MKV file. My TV's don't do DV so I haven't been able to test them (yet) but the files appear correct according to mediainfo.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
whisker

Post by whisker »

I have a Syno DS1515+, because any plus model can accept an expansion unit. I have 5x 16TB IronWolf Pros in a RAID6, about 38TB of capacity. I don't have many UHD titles (yet). Most of my library is from DVD, but I have a healthy amount of BDs too. I'm still below 50% capacity (recently upgraded the drives), but I've been making capacity choices all along. "Do I really want this movie in HD? 4K? Is SD good enough?" But yeah, those 4-layer BDs are heavy. Let's hope they never go to 6K or 8K.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Yeah I just bought a 16TB drive to replace my 8TB - and is the last slot in my Synology, and after that I'll have to get an expansion unit for my DS918+ and start filling that with 16TB+ drives.

Biggest problem for me and my Plex server, isn't UHD necessarily - but that for Dolby Vision support on my Plex server that is adequate I need to keep 2 version of each DV UHD title. 1 copy is DV7 with HDR10 fallback - for any device that supports UHD DV7 playback - and devices with no DV support use this for HDR10 fallback; and then I need a DV8 copy for streaming devices and PCs with only DV5/DV8 support. Even if I could do without the DV7 copy, I still need that (or the HDR10 BL at least, separately) as it seems HDR10 fallback doesn't actually work with yusesope tool to make DV8.1 layers for muxing.
eggy81

Post by eggy81 »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:24 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 pm

Latest Handbrake Nightly build will pass through HDR10 metadata and do full 10bit encoding process with no 8bit down-conversion. Saw it announced on the github tracker for the HDR issue, tested it myself and it works.

I plan to try and see if I can use it to shrink down some DV movies by encoding just the base HDR10 layer, then just muxing it back in with the DV EL after.

See here for the announcement on git:

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... -774639691
I'm successfully doing that at the moment.

I was using FFmpeg but saw that Handbrake now uses the 10bit pipeline and passes through HDR metadata. So I've tested it and it is working perfectly. Once I shrink the file with handbrake I use MVKToolNix to add back in the DV layer onto the encoded mkv. I can then run this through MakeMKV again and I get the Dolby Vision Profile 7 info muxed into the mkv.

A few points to note. To preserve profile 7 after the handbrake encode you need to add "chromaloc=2" into the Advanced options in handbrake, otherwise when you run the file back through MakeMKV it will create a Dolby Vision Profile 4 mkv. Doesn't seem to be a big deal for me as it still works fine on my Nvidia Shield, but probably best to do it correctly.

It's saving massive space without any noticeable drop in quality. I'm using CRF 17 or 18.