BU40N - AACS host certificate is revoked

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
BlvckBytes

BU40N - AACS host certificate is revoked

Post by BlvckBytes »

Greetings!

I'm trying to get the video data off of a UHD Blu-Ray Disc, and immediately ran into an error. The error log as well as the tar archive mentioned in it are both attached, as is a screenshot of the tool's overview before starting this action.

I'm on a M1 MBP, currently Ventura 13.5. The external drive I'm using is called a techPulse120 USB3.1 type-C UHD Blu-Ray. Poor choice, I know, I should've researched better beforehand... But, just by coincidence, I found out that it's a BU40N under the hood, seemingly supporting LibreDrive.

Is there any way that I can make this drive work? Returning it would be a bit of a hassle, but doable. I'd get a SATA-to-USB-C adapter and use a supported, external disk drive, as internals from the list are hard to acquire for me here, in Austria.

All help making this one work is greatly appreciated!

(Attachment feature said quota exceeded, I hope this external share service is okay too: https://workupload.com/archive/k2zZNnLYvK)
d00zah

Re: BU40N - AACS host certificate is revoked

Post by d00zah »

BlvckBytes wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:14 pm
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as /Users/blvckbytes/Library/MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone_366D.tgz
LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Failed to open disc
Copy/paste the Drive/LibreDrive Info sections from MakeMKV here. Looks like you'll need to flash FW.

Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

1st post... BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK

See Mac/linux commands to flash. section.

Once done, check out the UHD FAQ for general intel.
BlvckBytes

Post by BlvckBytes »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 am
Copy/paste the Drive/LibreDrive Info sections from MakeMKV here. Looks like you'll need to flash FW.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: MOEN46A2105
Firmware date: 2116-12-20 15:28
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
I'm very hesitant on flashing the device too quickly. Not because I haven't done similar things already, but because I didn't see my exact drive model anywhere on here and I don't want to brick the device due to wrong device identification. Also, why does it say that LibreDrive is enabled and fully supported, with Firmare v1.00? Isn't that very close to the firmware you mentioned? What would be the differences?
BlvckBytes

Post by BlvckBytes »

I wanted to give flashing this firmware a shot, but I didn't get anywhere.

First I looked for the drive, then I executed the command targeting the right drive, using the mentioned firmware file. Got the "No drive tool logic found in SDF.bin" error. Adding -t mtk19xx at least started the process, just to fail immediately again. Since I don't know what these errors mean at all, I can only once again ask for help.

(Yes, I've also tried to rip a non-UHD blu-ray beforehand, that did absolutely nothing about these errors)

Thanks!

Code: Select all

blvckbytes@BlvckBytess-MBP MacOS % ./makemkvcon f -l
Found 1 drives(s)
00: /IOBDServices/5AD1EDA7
  HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.00_211612201528_MOEN46A2105

blvckbytes@BlvckBytess-MBP MacOS % ./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/5AD1EDA7' -f /tmp/flash/sdf.bin rawflash main -i /tmp/flash/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
No drive tool logic found in SDF.bin
Internal error 0x8d000000  

blvckbytes@BlvckBytess-MBP MacOS % ./makemkvcon f -d '/IOBDServices/5AD1EDA7' -t mtk19xx -f /tmp/flash/sdf.bin rawflash main -i /tmp/flash/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin

Reading input file /tmp/flash/HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-1.03-NM00000-211810241934.bin
Flashing flags = 0x0 : 0 0 0 0 : ---- ---- ---- ----
Unable to read current bootloader version, trying to proceed without one...
Current Drive ID: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BU40N_1.00_211612201528_MOEN46A2105
Using USB chipset workaround for Desktop drive handshake
Ready to write drive flash memory.
Type "yes" to continue, "no" to abort
yes
Operation started: Sending flash image to drive

Write DRAM NG 00/00/00

Command produced error code 0x82000000
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

MakeMKV v1.17.4 darwin(arm64-release) started
Automatic checking for updates is enabled, you may disable it in preferences if you don't want MakeMKV to contact web server.
Optical drive "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N 1.00 MOEN46A2105d" opened in OS access mode.
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..03F to device 'IoKit:/IOBDServices/5AD1EDA7'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as /Users/blvckbytes/Library/MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone_366D.tgz
LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Failed to open disc
LibreDrive Information
I must confess to not understanding. MakeMKV says:

- Automatic checking for updates is enabled
- LibreDrive compatible drive is required, but... LibreDrive is enabled on your drive
- most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive, which shouldn't be an issue w/ LibreDrive active

Read error? Bad install/missing dependency? A MAC thing?

Can you reboot the host & retry the disc?

Input from resident experts? At face, this seemed straight forward.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Personally, I can't help but you're going to get a lot more help and attention with this issue if you post here: viewforum.php?f=16

That is the section of the forum that is dedicated to UHD Drives. The drive experts are all much more active there. You posted in the section which is focused on UHD discs.
BlvckBytes

Post by BlvckBytes »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:13 pm
I did, several times, I used other ports, another cable, no changes, exact same error. Oh, funny thing btw, the remaining time of the evaluation version reset after a macOS update. So that would indicate to me that the tool's storage also got reset, still same error.
jayper wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:31 pm
Personally, I can't help but you're going to get a lot more help and attention with this issue if you post here: viewforum.php?f=16

That is the section of the forum that is dedicated to UHD Drives. The drive experts are all much more active there. You posted in the section which is focused on UHD discs.
Okay, thank you for telling me about my mistake! This section looked the most promising to me at first glance. I'm just going to create a new post over there, summing up my current experience with this drive.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

BlvckBytes wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:44 pm
d00zah wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:13 pm
I did, several times, I used other ports, another cable, no changes, exact same error. Oh, funny thing btw, the remaining time of the evaluation version reset after a macOS update. So that would indicate to me that the tool's storage also got reset, still same error.
jayper wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:31 pm

Okay, thank you for telling me about my mistake! This section looked the most promising to me at first glance. I'm just going to create a new post over there, summing up my current experience with this drive.
Techpulse seems to be having a bad run of cases that don't pass through libredrive commands see same issue here.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31587&p=139489&hil ... 20#p139489
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:59 pm
Techpulse seems to be having a bad run of cases that don't pass through libredrive commands see same issue here.
Phew! Missed that one. :D Thanks!
BlvckBytes

Post by BlvckBytes »

Billycar11 wrote:
I might try removing the enclosure and use another sata-usb connection. If that works, I'm fine with that. I just want to rip at home and then view anywhere from my ssd.

Might be that this drive has the slim sata port, in which case I'd have to order an adapter.
BlvckBytes

Post by BlvckBytes »

Billycar11 wrote:
You're AWESOME! :). I didn't have to flash anything, as the firmware (as read by the tool) already matched. Maybe there's a higher protection version I could reach, if I update from 1.00 to 1.03?

For other people trying to do the same:

Getting the drive out is pretty simple, if one knows how. Don't scuff the case, just check out the little hole underneath the bottom left rubber-foot. There's a little tab, push it forward with a flat head screwdriver. It takes quite the force to pull apart the sata connector, but that's all which holds the drive in the enclosure.

I happened to have a SFF dell device around, which already had the right slimeline SATA connectors. Now I'm remoted into it, running Windows, and ripping the disks this way to save money on the adapter.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

DON'T flash the drive if it's working. Leave it alone. Playing the "is this firmware better" game is a losing proposition.
BlvckBytes

Post by BlvckBytes »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:06 pm
DON'T flash the drive if it's working. Leave it alone. Playing the "is this firmware better" game is a losing proposition.
No worries, I'm not playing any games and rather gonna take the logical approach: Ripping all the discs I desire, until I come accross one that this firmware can't read. If that never happens, I'll never flash.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

BlvckBytes wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:03 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:06 pm
No worries, I'm not playing any games and rather gonna take the logical approach: Ripping all the discs I desire, until I come accross one that this firmware can't read. If that never happens, I'll never flash.
You are already on the best firmware for that drive. Leave it on 1.00. If you have trouble reading a disc, clean the disc.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
BlvckBytes

Post by BlvckBytes »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:19 am
You are already on the best firmware for that drive. Leave it on 1.00. If you have trouble reading a disc, clean the disc.
I'm just curious about the fact that my highest AACS version is 61, while I have seen (on YouTube, I think) there being Blu-Ray discs of higher AACS version. This is what I meant with "that this firmware can't read". Obviously, damaged or dirty media is going to have nothing to do with the firmware.