The Wicker Man 4k - dump submitted

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Jman5150

Re: The Wicker Man 4k - dump submitted

Post by Jman5150 »

Ok bit confused. I copied it. Removed the aacs file. Now how do i ise mkv on the file?? Or do i need to burn it to bluray first? Id like to decrypt it with menus intact.
andreasy969

Post by andreasy969 »

Jman5150 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:55 am
Ok bit confused. I copied it. Removed the aacs file. Now how do i ise mkv on the file?? Or do i need to burn it to bluray first? Id like to decrypt it with menus intact.
You can open your disc backups with MakeMKV via "File" => "Open Files" => select the 'BDMV/index.bdmv' in your backup folder.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Or you can "mount" the backup image as a virtual drive on your PC (there are many free programs available to do this), then open that virtual drive with MakeMKV as if it were any other optical drive.
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

thedugan wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:19 am
It appears that The Final Cut UHD is not encrypted. To rip the movie from this disc:
  • Copy the disc contents to your computer
  • Delete the AACS folder
  • Process using MakeMKV as normal
It looks like the presence of the AACS folder confuses MakeMKV, as the content actually does not have this encryption applied.
Thank you the time and effort it took to figure this out. Kudos, Chefs kiss, etc. Great effort.
Jman5150

Post by Jman5150 »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:12 pm
Or you can "mount" the backup image as a virtual drive on your PC (there are many free programs available to do this), then open that virtual drive with MakeMKV as if it were any other optical drive.
Great idea thanks!
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

One advantage of "mounting" a virtual drive is that, if you've previously made an encrypted backup but now the key has become available, you can now create a decrypted backup from the encrypted backup.

If you were to "Open" the encrypted backup in MakeMKV as usual, then the "Backup" option gets greyed-out and is no longer available.

Having a decrypted backup allows you to play transport streams directly from the backup folder, if you need to check any content, etc.
SnowDog

Post by SnowDog »

Just to confirm that the suggested solution worked for me, too.

Thanks for finding that :-)
paul4001

Post by paul4001 »

thedugan wrote:
It appears that The Final Cut UHD is not encrypted. To rip the movie from this disc:
  • Delete the AACS folder
It looks like the presence of the AACS folder confuses MakeMKV, as the content actually does not have this encryption applied.
I was pulling my hair out over this disc so THANK YOU for solving! I dunno how many times I sent the tar to svq :roll:
EventDriven

Post by EventDriven »

thedugan wrote:
  • Delete the AACS folder
Thanks man, you're a hero! Curious as to how you were able to determine it wasn't encrypted, or did you just give it a try?
thedugan

Post by thedugan »

EventDriven wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:06 pm
Thanks man, you're a hero! Curious as to how you were able to determine it wasn't encrypted, or did you just give it a try?
Late reply, but - yep, just gave it a try as a last resort.