The Wicker Man 4k - dump submitted

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
obsidian1200

Re: The Wicker Man 4k - dump submitted

Post by obsidian1200 »

BrianDW wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:51 pm
I get nothing. The disc starts decrypting / opening and then stops, as the "time remaining" increases while the disc sputters.
Note the disc plays perfectly. No issues at all. On my PC and a standalone 4k player.

Its clean, and other 4Ks using the same drive work without issue using MAKEmkv.

Checking torrent sites (only out of curiosity, of course!) I have noticed NO 4K remux of the Final Cut are posted, while torrents for the DC and Extended cut 4K's are posted.

The disc just sits in my drive, Make MKV does not stop, as with an unknown volume K or read error. It just keeps adding to the remaining time count while the decrypting / opening progress bars stay in the same place.
My disc behaves similarly with MakeMKV. Reading from the disc takes significantly longer to parse compared to other discs and eventually results in the Volume Key Unknown error. I have successfully performed a full backup using MakeMKV, no errors there. Though the backup itself can't be decrypted, expectedly, and it also seems to take a while to parse with MakeMKV.

The other thing that seems odd to me is the size of this particular dump. Most of the ones I send in hover around 3MB, but the dump I get from this disc is around 200kb. I'm not sure if that's indicative of anything though.
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

I tried again and left the disc in the drive. After an unusually like time a dump file was produced. Only 183.5 KB. I sent it in.
I guess we just wait and see.
Rubiker

Post by Rubiker »

My copy of the Final Cut acts the same way- it just never stops trying to load. If it is a bad disc, then it's likely the entire batch of them produced because no one has successfully ripped it anywhere I've seen.
enginerd

Post by enginerd »

Edit - this method works (viewtopic.php?p=144128#p144128).

FWIW, I have LD-enabled Pioneer and Buffalo drives, and neither will decrypt the Final Cut disc. It takes a VERY long time to read the disc, but if you're watching carefully it does go through the MTS files (you can see the numbers change in the progress area) and eventually calm down - it seems like there is a complicated file structure or branching points MakeMKV is trying to parse; however it does not yet have a key (I submitted the dump), and as others have noted the dump file is comparatively small.

Hopefully this is not a bad batch or some new scheme for foiling decryption methods on this disc. Between my two readers I've been able to decrypt about UHD 500 discs without fail, sometimes with a bit of effort, but always eventually successful. It is unlikely that it is the drive(s).
Last edited by enginerd on Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete B

Post by Pete B »

BrianDW wrote:
I get nothing. The disc starts decrypting / opening and then stops, as the "time remaining" increases while the disc sputters.
Note the disc plays perfectly. No issues at all. On my PC and a standalone 4k player.

Checking torrent sites (only out of curiosity, of course!) I have noticed NO 4K remux of the Final Cut are posted, while torrents for the DC and Extended cut 4K's are posted.

The disc just sits in my drive, Make MKV does not stop, as with an unknown volume K or read error. It just keeps adding to the remaining time count while the decrypting / opening progress bars stay in the same place.
Just chiming in that mine did the same thing when I tried it out of interest. I stopped it from going any further and then MakeMKV displayed a ton of errors which suggested a dirty disc. I didn't bother cleaning it as I'm not interested in the Final Cut but it is weird how we had the same issue. I'd give it a good spray with window cleaner and a thorough wipe with a microfibre cloth to see if that works.
EventDriven

Post by EventDriven »

Pete B wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:22 am
BrianDW wrote:

Just chiming in that mine did the same thing when I tried it out of interest. I stopped it from going any further and then MakeMKV displayed a ton of errors which suggested a dirty disc. I didn't bother cleaning it as I'm not interested in the Final Cut but it is weird how we had the same issue. I'd give it a good spray with window cleaner and a thorough wipe with a microfibre cloth to see if that works.
It's not a dirty disc that's causing issues for everybody who has tried unsuccessfully to decrypt it, it just won't decrypt. Maybe there's an issue with the dump that is being generated for this disc (several people have submitted one afaik) or as somebody else suggested, maybe every single disc that has been produced in the early batches has some kind of defect.
Pete B

Post by Pete B »

EventDriven wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:42 pm
Pete B wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:22 am
BrianDW wrote:

It's not a dirty disc that's causing issues for everybody who has tried unsuccessfully to decrypt it, it just won't decrypt. Maybe there's an issue with the dump that is being generated for this disc (several people have submitted one afaik) or as somebody else suggested, maybe every single disc that has been produced in the early batches has some kind of defect.
Ah yes, it certainly appears that dirty discs ain't the cause of this latest hoo-haa - I posted before I'd seen this latest third page, whoopsies. Looks like a weird one fo sho. Let's hope they can crack it.
Rubiker

Post by Rubiker »

Anyone had any success with the Final Cut disc? :(
polskasubie

Post by polskasubie »

my pioneer drive was able to read the disc... https://gofile.io/d/gWlxMm
BrianDW

Post by BrianDW »

Was this with "The Final Cut" 4K Disc?
I have tried with Buffalo, LG and Pioneer drives (all of which decrypt other 4K blu-rays without issue) to no avail.
Rubiker

Post by Rubiker »

I also use a Pioneer drive I got from BillyCar. It chews through anything I give it, so I'm confident it's not a simple dirty disk issue. It's either a bad batch/pressing, or some kind of new technology that needs to get figured out. Anyway to get Mike or whoever does the HK stuff to review the disk? If it's not giving us a good log output, I'm not sure what we can do other than ship someone with the know-how one of the faulty discs to inspect themselves?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Rubiker wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:34 pm
~ I'm not sure what we can do other than ship someone with the know-how one of the faulty discs to inspect themselves?
Assuming you are able to make a successful (encrypted) backup of the disc, and assuming you have a decent internet connection (upload speed), you could put the whole backup on a file host such as Google Drive and Mike could investigate that way?

But I think I'd want to make sure that someone will actually be investigating before doing all that uploading!
polskasubie

Post by polskasubie »

BrianDW wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:04 pm
Was this with "The Final Cut" 4K Disc?
I have tried with Buffalo, LG and Pioneer drives (all of which decrypt other 4K blu-rays without issue) to no avail.
correct... its the Final Cut 4K from the Best Buy steelbook...
my Pioneer drive was purchased from BillyCar as well and it's an amazing drive...
Rubiker

Post by Rubiker »

If it helps narrow things down, my non-working Final Cut disc is from the Region B StudioCanal 4k limited edition box set (with the pop-up-book type feature).
SnowDog

Post by SnowDog »

Just received the 50th Anniversary Edition Steelbook format.

Out of the box, disc 1 - the 4K final cut - reports 'volume key unknown... video can't be decrypted... failed to open disc'. Tried several times.

Dump submitted.