Once Upon a Time In Hollywood UHD ripping

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
vivianne

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood UHD ripping

Post by vivianne »

Getting this when trying to rip a new copy of Once Upon a Time In Hollywood I just got on UHD:

Backing up disc into folder "D:/BDRips/backup/ONCE_UPON_A_TIME_IN_HOLLYWOOD"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Hash check failed for file 00001.m2ts at offset 30439630848, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00001.m2ts at offset 30533412864, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00001.m2ts at offset 30533609472, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00001.m2ts at offset 30590625792, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00001.m2ts at offset 30717241344, file is corrupt.
Too many hash check errors in file 00001.m2ts.
Hash check for /BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts : 0.00% corrupt, 99.99% correct, 100% checked.
Encountered 20 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/...
Backup done but 1 files failed hash check

The drive is also brand new, manufactured in July of this year - installed the WH40NS60 LibreDrive firmware and still get this with my WH40NS40. I've successfully ripped a regular BluRay of Princess Mononoke, but get this repeatedly with the EOnce Upon a Time In Hollywood UHD disc. Should I suspect the disc, drive, ..? Is there a way to get MakeMKV to backup the disk with dummy data here? Maybe it's like certain CDs which won't read successfully no matter what (weak sectors)?
dcoke22

Re: Once Upon a Time In Hollywood UHD ripping

Post by dcoke22 »

vivianne wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:04 am
Is there a way to get MakeMKV to backup the disk with dummy data here?
No, although that is an often requested thing. In fact, it is often demanded very angrily because people are frustrated. :D

MakeMKV's design goal is to make a perfect copy of your movie. Filling in dummy data would be the opposite.

The standard advice is to gently clean the disc and try again.

More broadly, in my experience, having multiple different drives greatly improves the odds of getting a good rip. I have 3 drives, an older LG, a slightly newer ASUS (both pre-pandemic) and a much newer Pioneer. The output from those three drives for troublesome discs is often different. Usually (but not always) one of them will give me a clean rip when the others won't.
vivianne

Post by vivianne »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:50 pm
vivianne wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:04 am
Is there a way to get MakeMKV to backup the disk with dummy data here?
No, although that is an often requested thing. In fact, it is often demanded very angrily because people are frustrated. :D

MakeMKV's design goal is to make a perfect copy of your movie. Filling in dummy data would be the opposite.

The standard advice is to gently clean the disc and try again.

More broadly, in my experience, having multiple different drives greatly improves the odds of getting a good rip. I have 3 drives, an older LG, a slightly newer ASUS (both pre-pandemic) and a much newer Pioneer. The output from those three drives for troublesome discs is often different. Usually (but not always) one of them will give me a clean rip when the others won't.
Sounds good - anything special to know about cleaning BDs? The standard isopropanol or water wipe from the middle out OK?
Mikeismad

Post by Mikeismad »

Did you ever get this to work. I’m having the same issue and have tried all the tricks to clean the disc to no avail. I’m about to give up, haven’t tried to rip the Blu-ray yet, hopefully I can at least get that to work.