Dolby Vision and where to start

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Woundup

Dolby Vision and where to start

Post by Woundup »

Hi All,

I am still learning a lot about the process of ripping movies into MKV and I've been pretty successful so far because of the information on this forum, but Dolby Vision seems to be another story. I've gone through a lot of the information here but I am still very confused on how to get a rip into plex that is uncompressed and maintains the Dolby Vision encoding for me to stream my Shield. Can someone point me in the direction of where to start? a lot of the DV threads are hundreds of pages long and after reading through some of them I'm not sure where the new information begins and the old ends. What's the best way to ensure I keep DV in my rips?
Billycar11

Re: Dolby Vision and where to start

Post by Billycar11 »

Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
bw171291

Post by bw171291 »

Do you mean keeping Dolby Vision when you rip it from the disk? If so, it should be there automatically. You can download an app called MediaInfo, and that will give you all the information about the MKV file you just created. All you have to do is drag the MKV to the MediaInfo window, and it'll load all the information. The easiest way with that program to see if you have Dolby Vision in your file is to drag it to the window, go to view -> tree. Then under video you should see something like: HDR format: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0 (a bunch of other stuff), HDR10 compatible.

If you want to add Dolby Vision to a file, follow that like to the doom9 forums that has already been posted.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

I think ripping a film as an mkv with DV is pretty easy, finding a media player which will play it back faultlessly is another matter.