Kung Fu Panda (2008) 4K UHD Dump Submitted

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Tetsujin

Kung Fu Panda (2008) 4K UHD Dump Submitted

Post by Tetsujin »

First post here, hope I'm doing this correctly! Just got my disc in the mail today. Submitted via email to svq@makemkv.com :

Filename: MKB20_v77_Kung_Fu_Panda_7EE4.tgz
AngryVirginian

Re: Kung Fu Panda (2008) 4K UHD Dump Submitted

Post by AngryVirginian »

I also submitted MKB20_v77_Kung_Fu_Panda_D7B0.tgz
Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin »

This now appears to have a couple of listings in keydb.cfg file, but downloading and placing that file in my makemkv data folder (default = c:\Users\*USERNAME*/.makemkv) does not seem to do anything.

I suppose it could be a different version of the disc (in fact that seems likely), but I've also looked around the forum and see that the above mentioned method doesn't seem to be as simple as described. Am I doing something wrong? And if so, what?

Thanks in advance for any help!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

MKB20_v77_Kung_Fu_Panda_D7B0.tgz

That's the one I have and it seems to be in the keydb and I was able to back it up.
Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin »

So, if I'm reading keydb.cfg correctly, that means there are at least 3 versions of this movie and mine is not currently covered? Is there a more in-depth explanation somewhere on how to read/understand the keydb.cfg format for laypeople? (I don't imagine that's available in this forum since makemkv uses its' own proprietary format.)

I only started buying physical media again a few months ago (the fact that big companies can make streaming media/movies "disappear" whenever they like is a disturbing trend/portent for the future...) so, like a lot of folks, I'm learning on the fly. I've done about 70-80 discs so far and this is the first "new release" delay I've encountered.
dawg_ripper

Post by dawg_ripper »

my copy of KFP (D7B0) does not decrypt yet either. Neither of mine that I got this week work. There were a lot of popular titles out this week so maybe a little more patience is in order.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Tetsujin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 pm
So, if I'm reading keydb.cfg correctly, that means there are at least 3 versions of this movie and mine is not currently covered? Is there a more in-depth explanation somewhere on how to read/understand the keydb.cfg format for laypeople? (I don't imagine that's available in this forum since makemkv uses its' own proprietary format.)

I only started buying physical media again a few months ago (the fact that big companies can make streaming media/movies "disappear" whenever they like is a disturbing trend/portent for the future...) so, like a lot of folks, I'm learning on the fly. I've done about 70-80 discs so far and this is the first "new release" delay I've encountered.
MakeMKV doesn't give you the disc ID that the keydb uses. The disc ID is generated by creating a sha1 hash of the AACS/unit_key_ro.inf file. If you're on Windows and have 7Zip installed, open file explorer, go to the AACS directory on the UHD, right click on the Unit_Key_RO.inf file, go to 7Zip menu, and there's a CRC SHA option. Select SHA-1. E.G. for my Kung Fu Panda disc with D7B0:

8d63ed41fff67634d9da476fccbe089ac9702046

That's the disc ID. If you search for that in the KEYDB.cfg file, you'll find an entry for it. Which means those with the D7B0 variant of this disc, you can use the KEYDB.cfg to decrypt the disc until MakeMKV adds support.
Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:07 pm
Tetsujin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 pm

MakeMKV doesn't give you the disc ID that the keydb uses. The disc ID is generated by creating a sha1 hash of the AACS/unit_key_ro.inf file. If you're on Windows and have 7Zip installed, open file explorer, go to the AACS directory on the UHD, right click on the Unit_Key_RO.inf file, go to 7Zip menu, and there's a CRC SHA option. Select SHA-1. E.G. for my Kung Fu Panda disc with D7B0:

8d63ed41fff67634d9da476fccbe089ac9702046

That's the disc ID. If you search for that in the KEYDB.cfg file, you'll find an entry for it. Which means those with the D7B0 variant of this disc, you can use the KEYDB.cfg to decrypt the disc until MakeMKV adds support.
Ok this is interesting. Thank you so much for this info! I was able to pull a SHA-1 value from my "7EE4" version of KFP. That value is bf30b09b73c5833795e013d65ad36d50f6ad4b76.

I searched for that in keydb.cfg (which I just downloaded fresh a few minutes ago) and I get a match BUT... it still doesn't work in makemkv.

I notice it is listed "(LEGACY) (NOTVALIDATED)" at the end of entry, and that the key value listed is the same as one of the values ("U" I guess?) for the other disc ID ("D7B0"). It makes sense that this doesn't work for now, there's no way those hash values could be the same.
dawg_ripper wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:59 pm
my copy of KFP (D7B0) does not decrypt yet either. Neither of mine that I got this week work. There were a lot of popular titles out this week so maybe a little more patience is in order.
Yes, indeed, patience is always a virtue. Sounds like your copy should work with keydb.cfg though?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Tetsujin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:36 pm
Ok this is interesting. Thank you so much for this info! I was able to pull a SHA-1 value from my "7EE4" version of KFP. That value is bf30b09b73c5833795e013d65ad36d50f6ad4b76.

I searched for that in keydb.cfg (which I just downloaded fresh a few minutes ago) and I get a match BUT... it still doesn't work in makemkv.

I notice it is listed "(LEGACY) (NOTVALIDATED)" at the end of entry, and that the key value listed is the same as one of the values ("U" I guess?) for the other disc ID ("D7B0"). It makes sense that this doesn't work for now, there's no way those hash values could be the same.
You have some misinformation here. I'll try to clarify some things.

Unit keys can most DEFINITELY be the same across different variations of the disc. So then you're sitting there going "nuh uh cause they would have the same disc ID! Got you!" Yea, no. LOL The unit_key_ro.inf contains the encrypted unit key(s) for a disc. So how can that be different if the unit key(s) is/are the same? They were encrypted with a different key. Which means the VID and/or media key are different. But the decrypted unit key that decrypts the AACS protected content of the disc can be the same across multiple variations of a disc. I see it all the time.

So now you're left wondering "ok, that makes sense...but ummmm why the hell doesn't my disc work then if there's a proper entry in the KEYDB for it??" Good question. It would seem that MakeMKV doesn't use unit key entries from the KEYDB. Instead it uses the VUK (which is the VID and the Media Key combined using an aes hashing algorithm blah blah blah are you asleep yet? LOL). If your disc's entry does not have the VUK for your disc, MakeMKV is not able to decrypt the disc.

There is a work around I use for those situations and a lot of others do the same. That keydb entry WILL work with other software. I use another company's software to real time decrypt the disc and then I can open it with MakeMKV. Gives me the best of all worlds cause as soon as the unit keys are found, VUK or not, I'm able to decrypt my disc.

Hope this helps.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Tetsujin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:36 pm
dawg_ripper wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:59 pm
Yes, indeed, patience is always a virtue. Sounds like your copy should work with keydb.cfg though?
P.S. Yes, it will.
Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:50 pm
You have some misinformation here. I'll try to clarify some things.

Unit keys can most DEFINITELY be the same across different variations of the disc. So then you're sitting there going "nuh uh cause they would have the same disc ID! Got you!" Yea, no. LOL The unit_key_ro.inf contains the encrypted unit key(s) for a disc. So how can that be different if the unit key(s) is/are the same? They were encrypted with a different key. Which means the VID and/or media key are different. But the decrypted unit key that decrypts the AACS protected content of the disc can be the same across multiple variations of a disc. I see it all the time.

So now you're left wondering "ok, that makes sense...but ummmm why the hell doesn't my disc work then if there's a proper entry in the KEYDB for it??" Good question. It would seem that MakeMKV doesn't use unit key entries from the KEYDB. Instead it uses the VUK (which is the VID and the Media Key combined using an aes hashing algorithm blah blah blah are you asleep yet? LOL). If your disc's entry does not have the VUK for your disc, MakeMKV is not able to decrypt the disc.

There is a work around I use for those situations and a lot of others do the same. That keydb entry WILL work with other software. I use another company's software to real time decrypt the disc and then I can open it with MakeMKV. Gives me the best of all worlds cause as soon as the unit keys are found, VUK or not, I'm able to decrypt my disc.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info and clarification. This does make sense when you take multiple available verification strings (and makemkv's handling of those strings, on top of that) into account. It's not as simple as one-to-one.
dawg_ripper

Post by dawg_ripper »

It is working now. Thank you!
Tetsujin

Post by Tetsujin »

New HK download mentioned in the logfile today and my version is also working. Thanks to the author of the app (that's Mike, right?) and thanks to SamuriHL for the related info!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Mike is the man!