Issue after reading a few 4K UHD Blu-Rays

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TobiQ

Issue after reading a few 4K UHD Blu-Rays

Post by TobiQ »

(Please excuse my rough english at certain points)

Yesterday, I succsessfully flashed my ASUS BW16T1HT in order to rip 4K Blu-Rays. To be specific the whole Harry Potter collection. The original movies worked perfectly fine, but the spin-offs (Fantastic Beast movies) didn't at all.

Did I brick my drive?
Now it gets weird: Whlie ripping the first Fantasic Beast movie, the drive spun up faster than normal (it got quite loud), so I stopped the rip. After that, it couldn't read any Blu-Rays (DVD's worked seamingly fine). Whenever I insert a Blu-Ray Disc, the drive spins up (faster than normal), then down and it states, that there is no disc inserted.

I tried reflashing it with SDF and that seemed to fix it to some degree. I am again able to rip normal Blu-Rays, but the same problem applays when trying the Fantastic Beast UHD. It's unused. I tried ripping it fresh out of the box, so the disc can't be the problem. STill there are som error messages in the log.

"Fehler 'SCSI-Fehler - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR"
(Fehler = german for Error)

I wasn't able to find any comparable issues on the forum, but I hope someone who's smarter than me can help me.
AngryVirginian

Re: Issue after reading a few 4K UHD Blu-Rays

Post by AngryVirginian »

TobiQ wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:51 pm
It's unused. I tried ripping it fresh out of the box, so the disc can't be the problem. STill there are som error messages in the log.
The disc can be a problem even if it is new from a sealed case. Try cleaning the shiny side of the disc with dish soap and then try again. This is not a joke.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

AngryVirginian is right. Even brand new discs can be problematic. Sometimes they have an almost invisible film on them.

In any case, the error "MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" indicates that the optical drive was unable to correctly read the disc. Your best bet is to gently clean the disc and try again.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, no kidding. :( Even "gentle cleaning" or even more "vigorous cleaning" is no guarantee. I'm having a disc replaced as we speak for the very same reason. Brand new out of the box and cleaned, still can't read in any of my drives. So yes, it happens, no matter how "clean it looks".