The Abyss 4K

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MrPenguin

Re: The Abyss 4K

Post by MrPenguin »

chaank wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 pm
[Nonetheless I sent you an email with the dump file.
Heh, svq@makemkv.com isn't my email address. It's MakeMKV's "UHD processing queue" :wink:.
robert.gregory

Post by robert.gregory »

Successfully ripped "The Abyss" 4k, FINALLY!

Purchased copy from Amazon, used an LG WH16NS60 fw 1.03 on MakeMKV version 1.17.6 (latest)
CalicoSkies

Post by CalicoSkies »

robert.gregory wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:24 pm

Purchased copy from Amazon, used an LG WH16NS60 fw 1.03 on MakeMKV version 1.17.6 (latest)
Did that copy of The Abyss have the stacked discs or the additional "page" inside the blu-ray case with each disc attached individually?
robert.gregory

Post by robert.gregory »

CalicoSkies wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 pm
robert.gregory wrote:

Did that copy of The Abyss have the stacked discs or the additional "page" inside the blu-ray case with each disc attached individually?
Actually, the 4k disc was in fact stacked on top of the extra feature disc, no different from other copies I tried. No additional "3rd" page in the case.
CalicoSkies

Post by CalicoSkies »

robert.gregory wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 pm
CalicoSkies wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 pm
robert.gregory wrote:

Actually, the 4k disc was in fact stacked on top of the extra feature disc, no different from other copies I tried. No additional "3rd" page in the case.
Interesting.. My 3rd copy, which finally ripped successfully, had a 3rd page in the case with each disc attached individually, with no stacking.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

robert.gregory wrote:
So what "did it" for you in the end? Replacement disks? A new drive? Sacrificing a ripe mango to Cthulhu...?
robert.gregory

Post by robert.gregory »

MrPenguin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:49 pm
robert.gregory wrote:
So what "did it" for you in the end? Replacement disks? A new drive? Sacrificing a ripe mango to Cthulhu...?
So, in the beginning ( days after release ), I purchased two copies. the first copy, from target, failed to rip, went through return process and it ended up being refunded... not only that, they told me to keep the movie "on them" no need to send it back... hmmm. Basically, they could not replace it, as per policy, so they just refunded the money. nice!

then I purchased the second copy from walmart, same thing happened, same response. refunded money, keep the movie.

so, I sat with two copies of the abyss, with only the ability to rip the HD/2k, which btw worked for me, as I was happy to have that... especially "for free", waiting all these years, really did not give a hoot about the 4k, the HD/2k was resolute enough. win win, right?

I ended up giving one of my friends the 2nd copy so he could enjoy at least the HD/2k.
btw, he said his 4k player could not play the 4k disc. hmmm. someone messed up somewhere.

out of pocket at this point was $0.00, due to refunds.

at any rate, watching this thread, seeing all the responses of success with newer discs, I thought I'd try again.

last night, ordered the movie. it came today. I also updated MakeMKV, and tried again.

Success!

out of pocket total $34 and change.

not bad. I'll take it :)
robert.gregory

Post by robert.gregory »

Update:

Successfully ripped extended version (4k). Using latest MakeMKV, on an LG WH16NS60. Three disc set with 4k edition still over special features. Purchased at Amazon yesterday.
JediSamReye

Post by JediSamReye »

I have also been having issues with ripping this disc. 650+ 4k titles no issues, I have pretty good luck I am sure. But this one is a no go at the moment. Ordered it on amazon on 4/29 arrived last night. I watched the entire movie on my panasonic player last night no issues.
Came here to see if anyone had the issue, found 9 pages here.
I have a Asus BW-16D1HT with libre drive, still errors.
My set has the 4k disc stacked ontop of the special features disc.
I am attempting the full disc backup at the moment, if this fails then I am going to try the big index of keys mentioned before.