James Cameron UHDs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
JuddSandage

Re: James Cameron UHDs

Post by JuddSandage »

Well I got "replacement" discs from Wallyworld and both Aliens and True Lies ripped without issue, still waiting on The Abyss even though I ordered it two days before the others. hopefully no issues with it, I will update once I get it in.

Aliens: Amazon no-go, Wal-Mart good
True Lies: Amazon no-go, Wal-Mart good.
The Abyss: Amazon no-go, Awaiting Wal-Mart.

next I think I will try my Amazon True Lies on the PS5 I just got to see if it hard locks after 2 minutes of playback. I still need to send all the amazon discs back.
Drives: WH16NS40x2, BW-16D1HT, BE16NU50.
frogurt

Post by frogurt »

TL;DR - I got Aliens to work after replacement disc

Bought Aliens 4K UHD from Amazon

First disc didn't rip, got errors. Tried multiple times and even copied the disc to hdd first. No luck.

Replacement disc worked, first time.
Powerkey

Post by Powerkey »

My second Aliens UHD came and it also has read errors and won't RIP. I decided to try slowing down the drive to see if that would help. It didn't. So I set the speed settings to "0-99" and gave up.

Yesterday, before I sent it back to amazon, created an encrypted backup (in case the third Aliens disc has problems) thinking I might be able to piece together a good copy from the two discs.

Strangely, the "0-99" allowed the disc to backup without error. Now I am wondering if the faster speed settings did something, or does an encrypted backup have less/no error checking.

Drive is an LG WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 MK 1.02 firmware.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Powerkey wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm
My second Aliens UHD came and it also has read errors and won't RIP. I decided to try slowing down the drive to see if that would help. It didn't. So I set the speed settings to "0-99" and gave up.

Yesterday, before I sent it back to amazon, created an encrypted backup (in case the third Aliens disc has problems) thinking I might be able to piece together a good copy from the two discs.

Strangely, the "0-99" allowed the disc to backup without error. Now I am wondering if the faster speed settings did something, or does an encrypted backup have less/no error checking.

Drive is an LG WH16NS40 with WH16NS60 MK 1.02 firmware.
encrypted backup still has full error checking
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
JuddSandage

Post by JuddSandage »

well, The Abyss from Wallyworld failed on the theatrical version but ripped with success on extended... which is odd, however once going from my LG to Asus drive and just ripping the theatrical version it worked without issue, so... eh? All three replacements worked fine with no issues, so I'm going to send back my amazon discs and put the walmart ones on my shelf and be done with it.
Drives: WH16NS40x2, BW-16D1HT, BE16NU50.
uhdcanuck

Post by uhdcanuck »

Amazon 4K orders (Canada) - My copies of True Lies, Abyss worked fine on my LG. They all ripped fine on the first try. Aliens 4K on the other hand. Well, let's just say that I am on my 3rd replacement. 1st original disc came in scratched. No dice. Ended up returning it and asked for a replacement... My replacement discs was clean and free of scratch, but still a no go. (Won't play right, won't rip) Returned for refund. Ordered a brand new copy... well, it came in open box / used, (in a plastic bag without any shrink wrap), 4K disc was scratched to hell, whoever had it initially scammed the Digital Code card... got charged for full price. Yup, it's going back again. What in the world is Amazon doing with these??0

Update: My 3rd replacement disc that just came in finally worked!