Reading Dolby Vision FEL/MEL Layer

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jordanwalkert

Reading Dolby Vision FEL/MEL Layer

Post by jordanwalkert »

I have purchased both MakeMKV as well as the advanced version of MediaInfo. I’m on a Mac, so I cannot use BDInfo. I was wondering if either of these pieces of software could tell me the break down of Dolby Vision streams so I could find out the size of the enhancement layer to determine if it’s FEL or MEL. I have a media player that obviously cannot take advantage of the information from the FEL layer so I only playback HDR10 and MEL content on there. I’d like to see the size of the EL stream. I know BDInfo does this really well and I wish there was a way to use that. Any help would be appreciated!
jordanwalkert

Re: Reading Dolby Vision FEL/MEL Layer

Post by jordanwalkert »

https://imgur.com/a/eQOSQo5

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like MediaInfo is showing that the main stream size for the video is 48.6gb which says is making up 93% of the total video stream. So that means the EL layer is the other 7% and thus this is a FEL stream? Wouldn't a MEL layer be a much smaller percentage? If that is the case, this is exactly the information I am looking for and it would be very easy for me to discern this but if I'm reading this wrong please let me know!
dcoke22

Re: Reading Dolby Vision FEL/MEL Layer

Post by dcoke22 »

I think that's telling you that the video stream is 93% of the total file size.