LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray Drive Read Speeds

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
chetk

LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray Drive Read Speeds

Post by chetk »

What's up?!

I'm using an LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray in an external case via USB 3.0. When using MKV for ripping BDs, (not UHD BDs or DVDs), MakeMKV shows that it's reading at around 6.6x at the most.

Any reason why this would be? Should I really expect to be getting near 16x speeds like it claims?
Woodstock

Re: LG WH16NS40 16X Blu-ray Drive Read Speeds

Post by Woodstock »

As the disk area being read gets towards the outer part of the disk, the speed will increase. "16x" only refers to the MAXIMUM speed you will see, not TYPICAL. There is a maximum RPM the drive will go; there is more data available to read, per rotation, as you move further away from the center (where the disk starts).

When you get to a multi-layer disk, it will start to DECREASE after it reaches the outside, and starts moving back towards the center.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
chetk

Post by chetk »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am
As the disk area being read gets towards the outer part of the disk, the speed will increase. "16x" only refers to the MAXIMUM speed you will see, not TYPICAL. There is a maximum RPM the drive will go; there is more data available to read, per rotation, as you move further away from the center (where the disk starts).

When you get to a multi-layer disk, it will start to DECREASE after it reaches the outside, and starts moving back towards the center.
Thanks. Yeah, I've noticed that the speeds fluctuate based on the location of the disc, but I'm still not getting anywhere near the MAXIMUM speed. Why even rate it at 16X if the MAXIMUM I've seen was a little over 10X (yesterday). But MOST of the time, I get between 3X and 6X and it fluctuates by title too. So weird. Any tips on settings that might make it read faster? I'm ripping my entire library (hundreds of titles).
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

chetk wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

Thanks. Yeah, I've noticed that the speeds fluctuate based on the location of the disc, but I'm still not getting anywhere near the MAXIMUM speed. Why even rate it at 16X if the MAXIMUM I've seen was a little over 10X (yesterday). But MOST of the time, I get between 3X and 6X and it fluctuates by title too. So weird. Any tips on settings that might make it read faster? I'm ripping my entire library (hundreds of titles).
More drives
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

My optical drive(s) will typically read at 16x for a high quality DVD. They're often between 4x & 6x for a blu-ray or a UHD. That might seem like they're slower, but the actual data rate coming off the optical disc is higher with blu-rays and UHDs.

In any case, what you want is a clean rip, even if that means the drive is spinning slower than its maximum speed. If you have a lot of discs to ingest, the better solution is to use multiple high quality drives than to try to get a single drive to go faster.

Turn on 'Ask for single drive mode' in MakeMKV's preferences and you can run multiple instances of MakeMKV with each tied to a specific optical drive.
chetk

Post by chetk »

Oh wow. Thanks for the tip. Pretty cool.