UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
tamorgen

Re: UHD drives

Post by tamorgen »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm
The absolute best “UHD-friendly” drive at the moment is ASUS BW-16* series.
Is this still accurate for the "best" UHD-friendly drive? The post is a couple of years old, and I'm not sure if it's been edited since then. I have a LG WH16NS40 with Firmware Revision 1.02, and it only works some of the time. I'd say i've been able to rip 1/3 to 1/2 of my UHD discs. Most of the others get part way through, and start throwing errors. When I look up the error, it tells me most of the time the drive is going bad. It works fine on regular blu-ray and dvd, but it has problems with UHD discs, brand new, straight out of the box.

Thanks for any advice.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I have both of the "best" UHD drives IMO. The ASUS with MK 3.10 on it is absolutely awesome. And the LG NS60 with MK 1.01 on it is also a beast, but, not "friendly". You can flash the ASUS firmware on an NS60 if you want, but, if you're just looking for a friendly drive that works in everything, the ASUS drive is excellent IMO.
bigpoppa7565

Post by bigpoppa7565 »

Please try MK version of the firmware it a lot better then DE version. LG WH16NS60
It been reading all UHD disc and disc error issues

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113
ipkha

Post by ipkha »

bigpoppa7565 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 am
Please try MK version of the firmware it a lot better then DE version. LG WH16NS60

Are you saying the MK firmware is reading the discs better? With less errors then the DE or official firmware? Your post is slightly unclear.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

tamorgen wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 pm
mike admin wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm
The absolute best “UHD-friendly” drive at the moment is ASUS BW-16* series.
Is this still accurate for the "best" UHD-friendly drive? The post is a couple of years old, and I'm not sure if it's been edited since then. I have a LG WH16NS40 with Firmware Revision 1.02, and it only works some of the time. I'd say i've been able to rip 1/3 to 1/2 of my UHD discs. Most of the others get part way through, and start throwing errors. When I look up the error, it tells me most of the time the drive is going bad. It works fine on regular blu-ray and dvd, but it has problems with UHD discs, brand new, straight out of the box.

Thanks for any advice.
I've been using the software now for a year and those log messages have meant dirty disc the entire time. Ignore that part about the drive failing, total BS.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Chasetheace

Post by Chasetheace »

topprospect wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm
mike admin wrote:TLDR: Buy internal or external ASUS BW-16* drive and do not update its firmware.
Warning: ASUS BW-16D1X-U (external USB3 model) does not read UHD discs AT ALL. In fact, when I opened up the enclosure, I found that the drive is actually a Pioneer BDR-209MBK. So don't buy just any BW-16* drive, make sure the specific model number is on mike's list in the OP.

However, if you remove that Pioneer drive from the ASUS BE-16D1X-U sled and replace it with an ASUS BW-16D1HT, ripping UHD discs over USB3 works great. I'm using MakeMKV 1.10.8 and BW-16D1HT firmware 3.01. Works in Mac and PC.
Same with me, what did you do with new pioneer drive? Did you sell it and how much h is it worth? Cause I have exact same one too from external BW-16D1H-U that I Purchased.

I was really shocked to think that ASUS was actually using Pioneer drives in there equipment that they are selling
bigpoppa7565

Post by bigpoppa7565 »

ipkha wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 am
bigpoppa7565 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 am

Are you saying the MK firmware is reading the discs better? With less errors then the DE or official firmware? Your post is slightly unclear.
Sorry I'm be clearer, I have notice better performance (reads) with MK firmware then with DE version. That all the discs that where not working are working now. Like MI Fallout and SW Solo that wouldn't read in that drive. Both read fine in the LG WH16NS40.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

No disc read issues using the stock 1.00 in the WH16NS60.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
VDubb

Post by VDubb »

I currently have a WH16NS40 1.02 drive, but I want to get a second drive for backup.

Should I get another WH16NS40 or get a WH16NS60? Does one drive give a better quality rip than the other? Is one faster than the the other?

Thanks for any recommendations.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

VDubb wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:36 am
I currently have a WH16NS40 1.02 drive, but I want to get a second drive for backup.

Should I get another WH16NS40 or get a WH16NS60? Does one drive give a better quality rip than the other? Is one faster than the the other?

Thanks for any recommendations.
Since you already have a friendly drive, I would recommend the WH16NS60 Official UHD drive as the one to get. It is fast (if not the fastest) drive available for ripping UHD and is compatible with MakeMKV.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mister_eff

Post by mister_eff »

Chasetheace wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 am
topprospect wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm
mike admin wrote:TLDR: Buy internal or external ASUS BW-16* drive and do not update its firmware.
Warning: ASUS BW-16D1X-U (external USB3 model) does not read UHD discs AT ALL. In fact, when I opened up the enclosure, I found that the drive is actually a Pioneer BDR-209MBK. So don't buy just any BW-16* drive, make sure the specific model number is on mike's list in the OP.

However, if you remove that Pioneer drive from the ASUS BE-16D1X-U sled and replace it with an ASUS BW-16D1HT, ripping UHD discs over USB3 works great. I'm using MakeMKV 1.10.8 and BW-16D1HT firmware 3.01. Works in Mac and PC.
Same with me, what did you do with new pioneer drive? Did you sell it and how much h is it worth? Cause I have exact same one too from external BW-16D1H-U that I Purchased.

I was really shocked to think that ASUS was actually using Pioneer drives in there equipment that they are selling
How do you open up the enclosure to replace the internal drive? Thanks
Chasetheace

Post by Chasetheace »

Underneath the drive there is sticky rubber feet. At the rear were the power plugs in gently use a small flat head screw driver and prise the flat rubber support feet away from the base of the drive. Store them with the sicky side up so no dust or dirt gets on them and they will stick back on quite easy.

You will see underneath where the rubber feet was, 2 small star head screws which can be removed with a small star head screw driver.

When you have done this the top of the drive can be prised off with a plastic tool or something like a credit card. When you get it started work your way around and it will snap all the clips out which holds it together.

Be very careful when pullings aparts as there is some fine cables that are stuck down the cables can be gently pulled away from the top of the drive. Do not you steel screw driver to prise apart or you will damage and mark casing.

Then at the back off the drive there is a metal sheild that needs to be taken off at this stage you can prise tge sata connector of the pioneer drive and fit BW-16D1HT drive.

Thank you, 😊
mister_eff

Post by mister_eff »

Chasetheace wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:15 am
Underneath the drive there is sticky rubber feet. At the rear were the power plugs in gently use a small flat head screw driver and prise the flat rubber support feet away from the base of the drive. Store them with the sicky side up so no dust or dirt gets on them and they will stick back on quite easy.

You will see underneath where the rubber feet was, 2 small star head screws which can be removed with a small star head screw driver.

When you have done this the top of the drive can be prised off with a plastic tool or something like a credit card. When you get it started work your way around and it will snap all the clips out which holds it together.

Be very careful when pullings aparts as there is some fine cables that are stuck down the cables can be gently pulled away from the top of the drive. Do not you steel screw driver to prise apart or you will damage and mark casing.

Then at the back off the drive there is a metal sheild that needs to be taken off at this stage you can prise tge sata connector of the pioneer drive and fit BW-16D1HT drive.

Thank you, 😊
Thank you for the detailed instructions! I replaced the drive, added the new firmware thanks to this link:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18933

A few hours later, I'm streaming the first episode of Planet Earth II with Kodi and it looks amazing! Thanks
Chasetheace

BP55EB40 MK Firmware

Post by Chasetheace »

First of apologises for posting in wrong section earlier and double posting. I tried to delete but realized I posted in wrong section. I have drive Slim Portable LG-BP55EB40 SVC Code EB40
Firmware Ver 1.00 is this drive upgrade to UHD friendly LibreDrive

Can anyone tell me if I use new flasher will it damage this drive. Under the MK directory there is firmware for BP55EB40-NB50?
Attachments
Firmware.JPG
Firmware.JPG (36.1 KiB) Viewed 22404 times
PRAGMA

Post by PRAGMA »

Guys can yall just update me, will this work:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Z1LXAJG

And if it does work, is it more or less just plug and play using MakeMKV?