UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
st4evr

Re: UHD drives

Post by st4evr »

Dazler wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:52 pm

2.Also would the external Asus BW-16D1X-U work?
If not what is a good driver easy to get going and from where should I buy it, Im located USA.
If is internal I would get the Vantec NST-536S3 USB 3.0 External Enclosure

Thanks.
What you ask there (#2) has been discussed on multiple occasions already.

Read this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832&p=63930&hili ... X+U#p63930

And this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17829

Seaching the forum will yield additional discussions/information if needed/wanted.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If anyone THINKS the Asus BW-16D1X-U drive can do UHD, which requires it to be able to read BD-XL formatted disks, feel free to read the Asus specifications for the unit.

You will not find "BD-XL" on the page. The drive is not capable of BD-XL, and therefore not "UHD Friendly", regardless of the firmware.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dazler

Post by Dazler »

Thanks.

I asked as I read a old post mentioning it was not just checking if there was a firmware update that allow it now.

If you read the description it does mention BDXL and 128 GB.
So the description is all wrong then even on amazon it say 128GB.

So would any of the other ASUS be a better choice than the other brand?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Dazler wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 am
So would any of the other ASUS be a better choice than the other brand?
The most popular and readily available models are:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17856&p=65005&hilit=Popular#p65005

If you don’t want to complicate your life over this. Pick one of those and buy one.
Dazler

Post by Dazler »

Thanks,

Also to make sure,
Pretty much every 4k movie that you can burn/copy can it be played on the x box.

And is the audio, ATMOS, hdr still the same.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Dazler wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:35 pm
Thanks,

Also to make sure,
Pretty much every 4k movie that you can burn/copy can it be played on the x box.
I’ve seen a mixed bag of results when people try to burn 1:1 copies (full folder structures and/or full ISO file) of UHD BDs and try to play them back in ANY 4K player. (E.g. Xbox One, OPPO, etc) Some discs work and some don’t. Often appears to be a problem with the handling of the dual and/or triple disc layers during the burning process. What does that mean? In short, a player’s laser appears to have a problem switching at the right moment from one disc layer to another on the burned copy (original copy plays fine). Could be due to a few reasons. In depth version? Google.
And is the audio, ATMOS, hdr still the same.
If you make a 1:1 copy of the FULL disc or create NON-RE-ENCODED remuxes then yes of course. By definition there is no reason it wouldn’t be. A caveat being that MKV containers CANNOT yet pass Dolby Vision onto players. Just the HDR10 layer.

Don’t know what any of that means? Then time for you to start doing some research/leg work on your end as that topic can go on for pages and there are already hundreds of places readily available discussing that in detail across the web, and can be easily found through a simple Google search and on some cases a search within this forum.
railgun

Post by railgun »

Would it be a good idea to edit the OP to reflect the known good FW as well?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

railgun wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 am
Not a good idea no.

A good idea is renaming this thread: "Research UHD Friendly Drives using Google or makemkv.com then PM / EMAIL jonghotti / alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com OR techman21 / techmanmb21@gmail.com who will sell you a drive guaranteed to work right out of the box, and help you get it setup, so you can get on with your life!"

I might put something in there about avoiding the wrath of st4evr but that makes him really mad! :-)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I'd put something in there about if you identify as a resident of the eastern half of the united states hit up techman21. and if you hail from the west side (which includes Texas) then jonghotti, or Alex as he's known to his friends, would be your go to guy.

Alex knows how to fill out customs forms so International friends try Alex first, ignore his dumb jokes. Single ladies should be aware that techman21, or techman21 as he's known to his friends, is single, handsome, and ready to mingle.

Remember, guaranteed to work right out of the box!
railgun

Post by railgun »

jonghotti wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 am
railgun wrote:
Not a good idea no.

A good idea is renaming this thread: "Research UHD Friendly Drives using Google or makemkv.com then PM / EMAIL jonghotti / alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com OR techman21 / techmanmb21@gmail.com who will sell you a drive guaranteed to work right out of the box, and help you get it setup, so you can get on with your life!"

I might put something in there about avoiding the wrath of st4evr but that makes him really mad! :-)
Oh. So listing the drives, but going through 27 pages of posts to find that detail is acceptable? Reason being? :roll:
Dazler

Post by Dazler »

What is the preferred blank blu-rays to buy for 1-1 copy.

25gb 50gb
-R

Any brand much better than other compatibility?

Thanks.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Dazler wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm
What is the preferred blank blu-rays to buy for 1-1 copy.

25gb 50gb
-R

Any brand much better than other compatibility?

Thanks.
It’s going to depend on the size of the original disc. Do your research on UHD BD disc capacities:

Example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

Then research brands that sell those capacities. Studios use various sizes from one movie to another depending on various factors. Specially with UHD BDs due to the higher space requirements in many cases. Ultimately you may be better off buying 100GB (BDXL) discs for all 1:1 burning.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

You’re totally right. There’s not a need for the listing of drive types anymore either

railgun wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:13 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 am
railgun wrote:
Not a good idea no.

Oh. So listing the drives, but going through 27 pages of posts to find that detail is acceptable? Reason being? :roll:
b_dogg623

Post by b_dogg623 »

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone else may have run into this problem that I can't seem to figure out. I purchased an LG WH16NS40 from jonghotti (Alex) and threw it in a Vantec NST-536S3-BK SATA to USB3 enclosure. The problem is I have tried it on my Win7 HTPC as well as my Win10 laptop and both can't detect it properly. It keeps being installed as a ASMT 2115 USB device under disk drives and not under DVD/CD-ROM. It does not show up in My Computer on either OS under disk drives or DVD-Rom. Not sure what to do at this point and google has no info on this particular scenario as it detects fine but, as incorrect device. Any input or assistance is appreciated.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

b_dogg623 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:21 pm
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone else may have run into this problem that I can't seem to figure out. I purchased an LG WH16NS40 from jonghotti (Alex) and threw it in a Vantec NST-536S3-BK SATA to USB3 enclosure. The problem is I have tried it on my Win7 HTPC as well as my Win10 laptop and both can't detect it properly. It keeps being installed as a ASMT 2115 USB device under disk drives and not under DVD/CD-ROM. It does not show up in My Computer on either OS under disk drives or DVD-Rom. Not sure what to do at this point and google has no info on this particular scenario as it detects fine but, as incorrect device. Any input or assistance is appreciated.
Do you see it detect/display any differently with another optical drive installed in the enclosure?