Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
GoofeyGuy

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Post by GoofeyGuy »

rivey wrote:Just tried this and get the message "Write DRAM NG 05/24/00".

My operating system is Windows10 64bit.
Any ideas for solving this?

To downgrade from 1.03 to 1.02 to gain UHD read abillity, you need to use dosflash first, a good guide can be found here

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... QwYPiuwl0g
nokia768701

Post by nokia768701 »

i come from Taiwan.

recently i received my new Asus BW-16D1HT with firmware v3.02 (manufactured on 2017/11).
however, when i put UHD disk (Hidden Figures) into this device,
it only spins for several seconds and then spins down.
therefore i can see nothing in my computer.

so my conclusion is that even it comes with firmware v3.02, is still doesn't mean this firmware is 100% working for UHD.
then all i can do is downgrade to v3.02 gathered from myce.

finally all goes fine. i can check the size of UHD disk.

btw, DOSFlash only supports S-ATA ports 1~4 in IDE mode under 32bit system.
so we must plug target deivce to one of first 4 ports & flash firmware under Win 32bit.

step1. execute "DosFlash32_BH16NS40" to "Read Flash" original firmware.
step2. execute “BH16NS40_EEPROM_Data_Mover.exe” to combine firmware from step1 & target version clean firmware.
step3. execute "DosFlash32_BH16NS40" & select firmware form step2 to "Write Flash".
step4. reboot & everything goes fine...

ps.do not directly select firmware got from internet & Write Flash.
it may make your device useless...
(so remember to do step1. to backup your device's calibration data.)
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

SamuriHL wrote:Yes, 3.02 is the LAST firmware update you will ever take on that drive. Do NOT do anything beyond it.
Thanks! And I'm getting speeds 25-30 m/s, so it is good!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ron spencer wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:Yes, 3.02 is the LAST firmware update you will ever take on that drive. Do NOT do anything beyond it.
I can confirm all interesting "functionality" disabled in 3.03 . 3.02 is good, stay on it.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

mike admin wrote:
ron spencer wrote:
I can confirm all interesting "functionality" disabled in 3.03 . 3.02 is good, stay on it.
interesting "functionality LOL
haute

Post by haute »

It would be possible to disassemble the firmware and see how the aacs loophole has been fixed in version 3.03 ?.
Maybe you can apply the aacs loophole to other units, patching the firmware. To support new UHD discs in the future.
richdmoore

Post by richdmoore »

FYI for those interested, I obtained one of these drives today from amazon, and it was running 3.00 firmware. I updated it to 3.02 firmware using the links here, under parallels as I have an iMac and I didn't see an updater for macOS published (with or without 3.02.)

The drive I purchased is using a Vantec NexStar DX USB 3.0 enclosure for Sata-BluRay/CD/DVD Drive. Both drive and case were obtained on amazon.

I don't have any UHD discs currently, but I wanted to jump on this while I could get a drive for future use, and to retire an old USB 2 Samsung SE-506AB drive I have used for several years. This drive is ripping normal BluRay discs much faster, although the disadvantage is the much larger size of the drive & case itself.
thelangs

Post by thelangs »

I purchased the asus drive and it came with 3.00. I wanted to update the firmware to 3.01 so I used the download provided in the previous threads.

Nevermind, my bad.....
Deraga

Post by Deraga »

mmmkv wrote:Has anyone been keeping track of the approximate ripping speeds of each firmware version?

I'm on v3.00 and the last disc I ripped saw speeds within MakeMKV of 22-29MB/s (mostly on the higher end), which for me was fine. If I were testing different firmware versions I'd probably want to rip the same disc for more accurate comparison.

I am ripping The Mummy Returns UHD and was seeing about 34mb/s or 7.8x during the rip. That is the fastest I have seen. Finished in 42:01. I am on the 3.02 firmware
joejoe4games

Post by joejoe4games »

Damn, I think I killed my drive. :(
I tried to flash my drive from 1.02 (not sure about the exact version but it was 1.x) because it didn't detect any of the UHDs I have. I used the patcher posted by TeddyRaspin, but didn't realize that I needed to change the firmware source.
After a while I realized my mistake and flashed back to the ASUS firmware this time using the modified flasher as intended.
My drive still opens and closes, but doesn't even spin up the disc or move the read head it also remain quiet during boot up.

What I tried to fix it:
I found an old Intel Core Duo system that runs it's SATA ports in IDE mode on which I installed FreeDos so I could run DosFlash.
I used the file again provided by TeddyRaspin thou this time the one that contains calibration data and the DosFlash.exe. This got stuck at writing to block_0 and then threw a bunch of FAT File system errors. I haven't figured out what to do with the DosFlash.typ File, maybe it has something to do with this.
I also tried the file I downloaded from the RedFox forum thread linked by SamuriHL this one ran through but didn't fix the problem. Again I don't know what to do with the DosFlash.typ file.

Can someone please help me fix this?
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

If you haven't made a dump backup of your firmware, you can simply says "Goodbye" or "Adios" to your unit. :(
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

joejoe4games wrote:Can someone please help me fix this?
Is your drive recognizable? Without the disc, do you see your drive in OS or in MakeMKV? What is the drive name?
joejoe4games

Post by joejoe4games »

Yes the drive is recognized by the OS I have flashed it back to the ASUS firmware (version 3.x) so it shows up correctly as "ASUS BW-16D1HT" in BIOS and Device manager.
The problem is that when I insert a disc it doesn't even spin it up, and when i try to open up the disc in the file explorer it just opens the tray and tells me to "Insert a disc".
KBJghost

Post by KBJghost »

joejoe4games wrote:Yes the drive is recognized by the OS I have flashed it back to the ASUS firmware (version 3.x) so it shows up correctly as "ASUS BW-16D1HT" in BIOS and Device manager.
The problem is that when I insert a disc it doesn't even spin it up, and when i try to open up the disc in the file explorer it just opens the tray and tells me to "Insert a disc".
If I'm not mistaken that's a problem with the computer being shut down when the drive tray was open, or something along those lines. Windows thinks the tray is out when the tray is actually in and vice versa. I think it can also happen if you disconnect power to the drive while the computer is still running. If you do a Google search for disc tray keeps opening you'll find some answers.

Try removing the drive in Device Manager and let Windows reinstall on the next boot up and see if that fixes the tray problem.
joejoe4games

Post by joejoe4games »

Thanks for you help.
That can't be it, If i connect the drive to another computer (running on FreeDos for DosFlash Purposes) the same problem occures: the drive still opens and closes and is recognized in the bios but it never spinns up the disc or attempts to read it. I even tryed flashing the ASUS firmware 3.0.0 on it with DosFlash, but that didn't change anything the only thing I can still think of is to flash firmware 1.0.x since this is the the one that came with the Drive problem is: I can't find a download for version 1 anywhere...