100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
slongmire

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by slongmire »

OK after buying an LG drive that did not work I just got the Asus BW-16D1HT - but it does not read Blade Runner 2049 UHD either.

This drive's manufacture date is January 2018 with firmware 3.02.

Can someone please guide me what to do next? The ASUS website BIOS for this starts at 3.02.

I have tried connecting the drive both with esata enclosure and with USB3 - SATA enclosure.

The drive reads the regular Blu Ray version of this title normally
I verified the UHD version disk is absolutely spotless
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Read this thread and follow the additional link provided there:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... .02#p61880

It will answer your questions.
tapidlittle

Post by tapidlittle »

Can anyone confirm that the Official LG Bu40N which is not a friendly reader can be downgraded (I have firmware v.102). Before doing all these steps I want to be sure it will work.

DeUHD support told me to use firmware 101 but I don't find it anywhere.

thanks.
josephmyates

Re: Firmware Downgrade On a Mac?

Post by josephmyates »

davidahn wrote:
B17NNS wrote:
davidahn wrote:This is AMAZING, but has anyone successfully done this on a Mac?
Same question from me. I've bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT and one of these enclosures.
I just got the OWC case myself; VERY few ODD case options these days, as everyone's gone to thumb drives and those slim drives.

What's your firmware version? Mine's 3.00 and works great. You just have to download the hashed keys and put them in your MakeMKV folder (the path is in your MakeMKV settings). My problem's with my LG drive.
Just installed the exact same - ASUS BW-16DHT (Firmware 3.0) and the OWC External Mercury Pro enclosure.
Ripped 3 UHD discs - The Martian, Mad Max Fury Road, Life of Pi - with MakeMKV (hashed keys for all 3 in the MakeMKV folder)
All 3 completed - but upon viewing (in VLC) they all exhibit glitches and stuttering.

Not sure what the cause is?

Would upgrading to the 3.02 firmware mentioned elsewhere in the forum fix this?
Or are my MakeMKV settings off?

Tried AnyDVD also and even though it says "Removed AACS Copy protection" - it fails both Rip Video Disc to Harddisk and Rip to Image
Same with ImgBurn - fails Create Image File from Disc
B17NNS

Re: Firmware Downgrade On a Mac?

Post by B17NNS »

josephmyates wrote:but upon viewing (in VLC) they all exhibit glitches and stuttering.
Have you tried watching using Plex on a 4K TV?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

There are known issues with VLC's 4K support as they have just barely released it and off the bat it has serious problems.

It's better you try a more seasoned/stable player against your rips to help troubleshoot.
josephmyates

Post by josephmyates »

st4evr wrote:There are known issues with VLC's 4K support as they have just barely released it and off the bat it has serious problems.

It's better you try a more seasoned/stable player against your rips to help troubleshoot.
That was it!! The MakeMKV rips now play perfectly with the Plex Server and Media Player...
Thanks so much for your assistance!!!
ripem

Post by ripem »

hi i got the BW-16D1HT came with 3.0.2 cant read 4k video i only have one movie just to try before buying more i have RAMPAGE IV EXTREME can this still be used for 4k thanks
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

ripem wrote:hi i got the BW-16D1HT came with 3.0.2 cant read 4k video i only have one movie just to try before buying more i have RAMPAGE IV EXTREME can this still be used for 4k thanks
This has already been discussed in multiple topics in this forum since it was discovered.

Example:

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17313

EDIT: Additionally, check to ensure the disc is supported and the key file is in the correct place:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 12&t=16959
ripem

Post by ripem »

i went through all the post from TeddyRaspin i flash my drive with the clean 3.02 after it would not read any cd then i tried 3.01 and it was the same put back my 3.02 bin that i saved and now can read cds again but not UHD is there any thing i need for supporting 4k like hardware i have RAMPAGE IV EXTREME

thanks
ripem

Post by ripem »

ripem wrote:i went through all the post from TeddyRaspin i flash my drive with the clean 3.02 after it would not read any cd then i tried 3.01 and it was the same put back my 3.02 bin that i saved and now can read cds again but not UHD is there any thing i need for supporting 4k like hardware i have RAMPAGE IV EXTREME

thanks
just notice mine said e-green on the front
Hoosier72

Post by Hoosier72 »

Successfully downgraded (Windows Method) LG WH16NS40 SVC NS50! Hints: Copy all extracted files from DosFlash_Windows7.zip to the USB. Google how to get to the bios from with in Windows 10. I kept using the keyboard and it didn't work. I used an Acer tower. Here is the link to setup bios to boot from usb. https://www.ninjastik.com/support/acer-laptop-boot-usb/ After I did all these changes it wasn't booting to the usb automatically. You have to start the computer and hit F12 until a menu pops up and then choose the usb drive. Hex Editor: for my .bin dump the first offset ended in F0 not FF. Made a mistake when pasting into clean firmware by not pasting correctly. In the hex editor I used there where 2 options to paste. Choose write... and when you are done copying both offsets make sure the file size in the 1.02 that you will flash is the same size as original dump. - Hoosier72
kegobeer

Post by kegobeer »

Just wanted to say thanks to ya, Teddy. Your instructions worked perfectly for my 16D1HT with a Feb 2018 manufactured date. Easy peasy lemon squeezie.
nascar

Post by nascar »

I purchased a LG WH16NS40 from Amazon. The drive was bubble wrapped in an unsealed inner box (returned/refurbished?). It has a mfg date of February 2018, ROM version 1.03 & SVC Code NS50. I installed it in an empty drive slot on an old Dell Omniplex GS620, moved the SATA cables over to it from the internal hard disk, put the bootable DOS thumb drive (with DOSFLASH and DUMP102.BIN) in the rear USB slot, changed the SATA drive controller from Normal to Compatible, powered up and booted from the USB thumbdrive. I launched DOSFLASH and followed the instructions to save the 1.03 binary and write the 1.02 binary.

I removed the LG drive and connected it to my everyday pc using a WEme USB 3.0 to SATA Converter Adapter (I don't have an empty slot for the LG). With the latest keys_hashed.txt file I successfully created a backup of my new out-of-the-box Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition UHD Blu-Ray in 1H:23M.

Thanks to TeddyRaspin!
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Fine job Nascar!

"changed the SATA drive controller from Normal to Compatible"

Out of curiosity, where did you find this in the Dell BIOS? I've got an 8 year old XPS Studio 7100 running Windows 7 Home Premium with BIOS A06 (it's an AMD Phenom II 6 core based motherboard) and the only option I can find regarding SATA config is AHCI or RAID.

I have to research work arounds to this. I wonder if I actually have to put and IDE hard drive in it...