100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
nascar

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by nascar »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:Fine job Nascar!

"changed the SATA drive controller from Normal to Compatible"

Out of curiosity, where did you find this in the Dell BIOS? I've got an 8 year old XPS Studio 7100 running Windows 7 Home Premium with BIOS A06 (it's an AMD Phenom II 6 core based motherboard) and the only option I can find regarding SATA config is AHCI or RAID.

I have to research work arounds to this. I wonder if I actually have to put and IDE hard drive in it...
Get into the System Setup screen by pressing the <F2> key right after powering on and seeing the F2 prompt.

Look for SATA Mode in Advanced Chipset Features. According to the manual, you should be given the option to toggle between ATA and RAID (default). Switch to ATA for flashing the Blu-Ray drive. Boot from USB and flash the Blu-Ray drive. Then switch back to RAID (assuming that was the mode it was normally in) before doing a normal system boot.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

nascar wrote:

Out of curiosity, where did you find this in the Dell BIOS? I've got an 8 year old XPS Studio 7100 running Windows 7 Home Premium with BIOS A06 (it's an AMD Phenom II 6 core based motherboard) and the only option I can find regarding SATA config is AHCI or RAID.

I have to research work arounds to this. I wonder if I actually have to put and IDE hard drive in it...
Get into the System Setup screen by pressing the <F2> key right after powering on and seeing the F2 prompt.

Look for SATA Mode in Advanced Chipset Features. According to the manual, you should be given the option to toggle between ATA and RAID (default). Switch to ATA for flashing the Blu-Ray drive. Boot from USB and flash the Blu-Ray drive. Then switch back to RAID (assuming that was the mode it was normally in) before doing a normal system boot.
I get AHCI or RAID still. I've downloaded older BIOS versions but I'm not sure those're gonna do it. Right now I'm content ripping blu rays which both my drives do fine, actually make that 4 drives now.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:Wait a tick, drive number 4, purchased just today at Fry's, for $50 after instant promo code, is another WH16NS40 service code 50, manufactured December 2016 and has version 1.02 on it!

That'll work right?
Fuckin' A, I've got 26 minutes to get back down there before they close and see if they have anymore. I'll grab a couple in case anyone needs one.
Hi Alex .. were you able to get an additional drive? If so I can take one if you have one to spare :-) Thanks!
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

fljoemon wrote:
alexcoluzzi32 wrote:Wait a tick, drive number 4, purchased just today at Fry's, for $50 after instant promo code, is another WH16NS40 service code 50, manufactured December 2016 and has version 1.02 on it!

That'll work right?
Fuckin' A, I've got 26 minutes to get back down there before they close and see if they have anymore. I'll grab a couple in case anyone needs one.
Hi Alex .. were you able to get an additional drive? If so I can take one if you have one to spare :-) Thanks!
I'm headed over there again this morning. Today is the greatest day of my life people! With this new (old) drive and the latest key file I popped in Deepwater Horizon and almost lost my shit when I saw it open. It's ripping at a solid 5x which is fine. This fucking rocks!

I'll let you know if I get more. I've got a buddy over there I'll have him go to the stock room and check dates :)
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

hi Teddy,

there are 2 DOSFLASH files attached in the first post. Which one do I use for the ASUS drive? What is the difference between the DOSFLASH_Windows7 & LG_DOSFLASH_LG?

Thanks!

Never Mind .. found the answer .. the windows7 file is for dumping the firmware using windows. sorry to pester the forum :-)
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
nascar wrote:

I get AHCI or RAID still. I've downloaded older BIOS versions but I'm not sure those're gonna do it. Right now I'm content ripping blu rays which both my drives do fine, actually make that 4 drives now.
On the Dell motherboard BIOS, you need to have 2 identical hard drives connected to the SATA port on the motherboard to see the "IDE" setting in the BIOS.
Joe333x

Post by Joe333x »

My current system with asus mobo has no IDE option. I do have an ancient HP pc running win xp, would I be able to use that or does in need to be win7?
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

Joe333x wrote:My current system with asus mobo has no IDE option. I do have an ancient HP pc running win xp, would I be able to use that or does in need to be win7?
It doesn't matter what OS is on the PC. You will be creating a bootable USB flash drive as per Teddy's guide and you can do this in either Windows7 or using FreeDOS as posted in the guide. So you are good to go with your ancient PC and boot to the OS of choice using the bootable flash drive :-)
johnygfunk

Post by johnygfunk »

Hi - thanks so much for the guide but the iso link doesn't seem to want to work with rufus anymore. I've downloaded it multiple times and it continues to fail with rufus. It hangs at just before finishing.

Anyone else have this problem? I just got an Asus drive with 3.02 and it can't read discs so I need to roll back.
Joe333x

Post by Joe333x »

fljoemon wrote:
Joe333x wrote:My current system with asus mobo has no IDE option. I do have an ancient HP pc running win xp, would I be able to use that or does in need to be win7?
It doesn't matter what OS is on the PC. You will be creating a bootable USB flash drive as per Teddy's guide and you can do this in either Windows7 or using FreeDOS as posted in the guide. So you are good to go with your ancient PC and boot to the OS of choice using the bootable flash drive :-)
But if the PC is already 32bit running win xp couldnt I just use that instead of booting the pc from a flash drive? I thought the reason for booting to win7 through usb was because it doesnt work with win10 or 64bit OS.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

@Joe333x .. you are probably right .. since it is a 32bit system, you could make it work without the USB drive. Just make sure to connect the drive to SATA Port 0 on your motherboard and set the SATA controller to IDE in the BIOS.
Joe333x

Post by Joe333x »

fljoemon wrote:@Joe333x .. you are probably right .. since it is a 32bit system, you could make it work without the USB drive. Just make sure to connect the drive to SATA Port 0 on your motherboard and set the SATA controller to IDE in the BIOS.
Jokes on me, just opened up the case and it actually only has IDE connectors on the mobo so I cant even use it, guess this thing really is ancient in tech terms.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

johnygfunk wrote:Hi - thanks so much for the guide but the iso link doesn't seem to want to work with rufus anymore. I've downloaded it multiple times and it continues to fail with rufus. It hangs at just before finishing.

Anyone else have this problem? I just got an Asus drive with 3.02 and it can't read discs so I need to roll back.
I just made a Live Windows7 USB bootable drive using Rufus and the ISO file downloaded from the link provided in the file. When using Rufus, make sure you select ISO and point it to the downloaded ISO file. It did take a while, so be patient and it will finish.
Braymatter

Post by Braymatter »

So I followed this guide and believe I was able to successfully downgrade the firmware on my LG WH16NS40 SVC:50 to version 1.02. No errors.

However, still can't read my purchased discs. It at least tries to load and LED is flashing, but stops and says no disc.

Using MakeMKV, I've also placed keys_hashed.txt in to c:\users\<username>\.MakeMKV

Am I missing something, or did I make a mistake somewhere along the way? maybe using keys_hashed.txt wrong?

Thanks.