100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Locked
d00zah
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by d00zah » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:24 pm

lujan wrote:I'm going to attempt the flash downgrade this week but not sure I have the correct cable to connect Asus drive to old Dell Dimension 8250? Can I just unplug one of the existing optical drives and then use those cables to plug in the new Asus?

One of the requirements is:

A motherboard having SATA controller set as IDE (not AHCI !!!)

How can I tell if the Dell Dimension 8250 has a SATA controller on the motherboard? At first glance it appears like only IDE?
It would appear not..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dell+Di ... 8&oe=utf-8

lujan
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:13 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by lujan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 am

d00zah wrote:It would appear not.
Thanks! :(

alexcoluzzi32

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by alexcoluzzi32 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm

It would be cool to know the name/model number of a PC that can do this. HP would be preferred. I'd buy a PC dedicated strictly to drive flashing if I could.

lujan
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:13 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by lujan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Well I spent a couple of hours trying to downgrade the firmware and it just wouldn't work with either the Windows or DOS methods. Every time I ran the DOSFLASH32_BH16NS40.exe file, it would not detect the ASUS drive but it would find it in the BIOS. The DOS method kept giving me a NTLDR (or something like this) not found.

Is there anyone out there willing to do the downgrade for me if I pay to have the drive shipped and returned? :o

TeddyRaspin
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by TeddyRaspin » Tue May 01, 2018 7:05 am

@lujan

I can mod your firmware drive if you need it. :wink:

giomania
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by giomania » Thu May 03, 2018 7:47 pm

I purchased two drives from jet.com; both both were manufactured in February 2018 with 3.02 firmware. I assumed this was the version of the firmware with The AACS 1.0 loophole removed so I didn’t even test them.

I just performed the rollback procedure process last night using an old Dell Inspiron 530 mini tower I have kept around. This computer originally came with either winWindows XP or Vista, so I assumed it was already to IDE in the bios and that was correct. There is no option for compatibility support module in the bios, but it worked fine by pressing F12 as it was booting and selecting the USB boot device.

It did take about 30 minutes to load the Windows 7 PE desktop but that could be due to the age of the computer.

After that everything went smoothly per the instructions, but I did take detailed notes as I went along and made refined instructions for my own edification, should I need to do this in the future. Here is the document, in case it helps anyone else: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvYk8 ... EuF3y9qzwx

Thanks to @TeddyRaspin and the community for the great tips and resources.
Last edited by giomania on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Linked Here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvYk8 ... EuF3y9qzwx

Kerwin
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by Kerwin » Sat May 05, 2018 1:29 pm

giomania wrote:I purchased two drives from jet.com; both both were manufactured in February 2018 with 3.02 firmware. I assumed this was the version of the firmware with The AACS 1.0 loophole removed so I didn’t even test them.

I just performed the rollback procedure process last night using an old Dell Inspiron 530 mini tower I have kept around. This computer originally came with either winWindows XP or Vista, so I assumed it was already to IDE in the bios and that was correct. There is no option for compatibility support module in the bios, but it worked fine by pressing F12 as it was booting and selecting the USB boot device.

It did take about 30 minutes to load the Windows 7 PE desktop but that could be due to the age of the computer.

After that everything went smoothly per the instructions, but I did take detailed notes as I went along and made refined instructions for my own edification, should I need to do this in the future. Here is the document, in case it helps anyone else: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvYk8 ... EuF3y9qzwx

Thanks to @TeddyRaspin and the community for the great tips and resources.
These are excellent notes! Thanks for this. I've read through them a few times already and I now feel confident enough to give them a try.

Kerwin
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by Kerwin » Sat May 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Kerwin wrote:
giomania wrote:I purchased two drives from jet.com; both both were manufactured in February 2018 with 3.02 firmware. I assumed this was the version of the firmware with The AACS 1.0 loophole removed so I didn’t even test them.

I just performed the rollback procedure process last night using an old Dell Inspiron 530 mini tower I have kept around. This computer originally came with either winWindows XP or Vista, so I assumed it was already to IDE in the bios and that was correct. There is no option for compatibility support module in the bios, but it worked fine by pressing F12 as it was booting and selecting the USB boot device.

It did take about 30 minutes to load the Windows 7 PE desktop but that could be due to the age of the computer.

After that everything went smoothly per the instructions, but I did take detailed notes as I went along and made refined instructions for my own edification, should I need to do this in the future. Here is the document, in case it helps anyone else: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvYk8 ... EuF3y9qzwx

Thanks to @TeddyRaspin and the community for the great tips and resources.
These are excellent notes! Thanks for this. I've read through them a few times already and I now feel confident enough to give them a try.
I'm happy to report that it worked sucessfully! Thanks to @TeddyRaspin for making this possible and @giomania for the clearly written and detailed notes.

cjake
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by cjake » Sun May 06, 2018 2:54 pm

giomania wrote:I purchased two drives from jet.com; both both were manufactured in February 2018 with 3.02 firmware. I assumed this was the version of the firmware with The AACS 1.0 loophole removed so I didn’t even test them.

I just performed the rollback procedure process last night using an old Dell Inspiron 530 mini tower I have kept around. This computer originally came with either winWindows XP or Vista, so I assumed it was already to IDE in the bios and that was correct. There is no option for compatibility support module in the bios, but it worked fine by pressing F12 as it was booting and selecting the USB boot device.

It did take about 30 minutes to load the Windows 7 PE desktop but that could be due to the age of the computer.

After that everything went smoothly per the instructions, but I did take detailed notes as I went along and made refined instructions for my own edification, should I need to do this in the future. Here is the document, in case it helps anyone else: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvYk8 ... EuF3y9qzwx

Thanks to @TeddyRaspin and the community for the great tips and resources.
Your notes were easy to follow and worked perfectly. My older ASUS motherboard did not have a CMS option either. Selecting the USB device in the F12 boot menu worked. Thanks for that tip.

GazzaC
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by GazzaC » Mon May 07, 2018 1:25 pm

OK, losing the will to live now. I've got a Asus BW16D1HT, firmware 3.02 (Jan 2018) which doesn't see any UHD disc whatsoever. Followed the downgrade instructions and all OK but I think I must be 'copying' incorrectly because the drive is a brick when I've finished. I can re -write my dumped firmware 3.02 to I can get it back to square 1 again.

In the opening post TeddyRaspin who created the downgrade instruction offers to use a dump to create a UHD friendly firmware .bin file. But how do I contact TS and get the file to him? The messageboard only allows 256kb files and my message to him just sits in the outbox, not sent!

Argh, so near and yet so far!

fljoemon
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by fljoemon » Mon May 07, 2018 11:41 pm

GazzaC wrote:OK, losing the will to live now. I've got a Asus BW16D1HT, firmware 3.02 (Jan 2018) which doesn't see any UHD disc whatsoever. Followed the downgrade instructions and all OK but I think I must be 'copying' incorrectly because the drive is a brick when I've finished. I can re -write my dumped firmware 3.02 to I can get it back to square 1 again.

In the opening post TeddyRaspin who created the downgrade instruction offers to use a dump to create a UHD friendly firmware .bin file. But how do I contact TS and get the file to him? The messageboard only allows 256kb files and my message to him just sits in the outbox, not sent!

Argh, so near and yet so far!
Please have a look at this forum (https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dumping ... ces.74479/). Perhaps you can register there and PM Teddy with your original dumped firmware off your drive.

jonghotti
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by jonghotti » Wed May 09, 2018 6:56 am

.
Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829

steven1110
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 12:59 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by steven1110 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:15 am

I recently purchased the Asus BW-16D1HT and it came with firmware 3.02 dated 2017-11-15. I've tried reading a couple UHD discs, John Wick 2 and Great Wall, with no luck. The drive is recognized by the computer but the discs are not. I've attempted both the Windows and DOS versions of the backflash to 3.02 but am not getting past the initial firmware read. I'm not 100% certain I'm doing it correctly but I feel like I've looked at it enough and tried enough changes that if it was going to work I would have gotten it.

My motherboard, ASRock H77 Pro 4M seems to have the BIOS options available for the directions. There is a CSM option and the SATA controller has an IDE option as well. I've unplugged all other unnecessary drives and also swapped sata ports for the bluray drive to see if that changes the below items. It did not.

On the windows version, I boot into USB and start the DOSFLASH program. It scans but does not find a drive even though the computer sees it. There are about 6 "ports" in the pull down but all do not have a device associated with it.

On the DOS version, when I type DOSFLASH it says it's an invalid command or file name. The DOSFLASH folder and files are listed when I 'dir' though.

Do you guys have any thoughts on what I may doing incorrectly?

d00zah
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by d00zah » Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 am

steven1110 wrote:I recently purchased the Asus BW-16D1HT and it came with firmware 3.02 dated 2017-11-15. I've tried reading a couple UHD discs, John Wick 2 and Great Wall, with no luck. The drive is recognized by the computer but the discs are not. I've attempted both the Windows and DOS versions of the backflash to 3.02 but am not getting past the initial firmware read. I'm not 100% certain I'm doing it correctly but I feel like I've looked at it enough and tried enough changes that if it was going to work I would have gotten it.

My motherboard, ASRock H77 Pro 4M seems to have the BIOS options available for the directions. There is a CSM option and the SATA controller has an IDE option as well. I've unplugged all other unnecessary drives and also swapped sata ports for the bluray drive to see if that changes the below items. It did not.

On the windows version, I boot into USB and start the DOSFLASH program. It scans but does not find a drive even though the computer sees it. There are about 6 "ports" in the pull down but all do not have a device associated with it.

On the DOS version, when I type DOSFLASH it says it's an invalid command or file name. The DOSFLASH folder and files are listed when I 'dir' though.

Do you guys have any thoughts on what I may doing incorrectly?
I had to resort to the DOS version for the same reason... the Windows version detected the controllers correctly, but never the attached ATAPI device.

When booted into the DOS env, I assume you've CD'd into the DOSFLASH dir? Try typing 'DOSFLASH,EXE'<enter>. As the instructions indicate, you MAY need to do this a couple of times for successful detection.

steven1110
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 12:59 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by steven1110 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:27 pm

d00zah wrote: I had to resort to the DOS version for the same reason... the Windows version detected the controllers correctly, but never the attached ATAPI device.

When booted into the DOS env, I assume you've CD'd into the DOSFLASH dir? Try typing 'DOSFLASH,EXE'<enter>. As the instructions indicate, you MAY need to do this a couple of times for successful detection.
No luck. I had difficulty getting the USB to boot into DOS. After several iterations, it appears that disabling CSM in BIOS makes the thumbstick go from being recognized as USB to UEFI in the boot options. I get in a BIOS boot cycle when it is UEFI.

After changing back to CSM enabled, I can get to DOS again but I get messages of "Cannot run program in DOS".

Any other suggestions? The drive is past it's return date unfortunately. Would anybody be willing to flash the drive for me if I shipped it to them?

Locked