Need help downgrading ASUS BW 16D1HT drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
vdj89

Need help downgrading ASUS BW 16D1HT drive

Post by vdj89 »

I am new to the scene and have several BluRays that I'd like to stream via my home NAS. I recently purchased a 16D1HT drive with an USB adapter as I only have a MacBook Pro. The drive came with 3.03 pre-loaded and all the methods listed to downgrade the firmware require Windows/DOS and they don't seem to work with a USB3 enclosure. They seem to require an IDE connection. Is there a way I could possibly flash the drive with the older firmware with a USB connection? I have a laptop running Linux. Would that help? I can possibly insert the drive in my home NAS but it is running Linux. Would I be able to flash the drive with Linux? If so, could you guys please point me to the instructions?

TIA!
annisman

Re: Need help downgrading ASUS BW 16D1HT drive

Post by annisman »

There are some members here on the forum who have offered to flash FW (send your drive to them) and/or have UHD friendly drives they can sell, so if you can't flash your own maybe look into that.
Nuccidrummer

Post by Nuccidrummer »

vdj89 wrote:I am new to the scene and have several BluRays that I'd like to stream via my home NAS. I recently purchased a 16D1HT drive with an USB adapter as I only have a MacBook Pro. The drive came with 3.03 pre-loaded and all the methods listed to downgrade the firmware require Windows/DOS and they don't seem to work with a USB3 enclosure. They seem to require an IDE connection. Is there a way I could possibly flash the drive with the older firmware with a USB connection? I have a laptop running Linux. Would that help? I can possibly insert the drive in my home NAS but it is running Linux. Would I be able to flash the drive with Linux? If so, could you guys please point me to the instructions?

TIA!
Did you have any luck with this?
vdj89

Post by vdj89 »

Yes, connected the drive up to my NAS with SATA cable. I confirmed I'm able switch the disk controller to IDE mode. I just need to follow instructions to backup the original fw and flash the drive. I haven't had the time to try it. Hopefully, will get to this weekend! :D
vdj89

Post by vdj89 »

I downgraded the firmware. It was relatively straight forward. The instructions seem pretty overwhelming at first. I'm a Mac user but if you have Windows, it works for you too. In fact you can skip some steps.
  • Installed Windows 10 in VirtualBox
  • Downloaded Windows 7 PE ISO (Google is your friend. There are plenty available online)
  • Flashed my USB drive with Windows 7 PE and copied all the files in this post
  • Connected the ASUS drive to my NAS over SATA
  • Plugged in the USB drive and I booted up my NAS with the ASUS drive set to IDE mode
  • Ran the dosflash utility & selected Read mode and dumped my original firmware
  • Ran the EEPROM Data Mover - this spat out the new firmware
  • Ran the same dosflash utility to erase and install the new firmware
  • Rebooted and I was done
I was able to backup my Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition disk. Super stoked this works :) Let me know if you need any help.
Lunnzies

Post by Lunnzies »

I have the Asus BW-16D1HT PRO 16x Blu-ray Writer. I simply have it mounted via a Sata external mount as this is an internal Blu Ray drive. It rips 1080p Blu Ray flawlessly however if I chuck in a UHD disk it simply spits the drive out. It's running 3.03 Firmware. Is there a way I can downgrade the firmware for this model? Is it the same as the non-pro model as mentioned in this thread and others?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Lunnzies wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:56 am
I have the Asus BW-16D1HT PRO 16x Blu-ray Writer. I simply have it mounted via a Sata external mount as this is an internal Blu Ray drive. It rips 1080p Blu Ray flawlessly however if I chuck in a UHD disk it simply spits the drive out. It's running 3.03 Firmware. Is there a way I can downgrade the firmware for this model? Is it the same as the non-pro model as mentioned in this thread and others?
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com