Page 10 of 17

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:18 am
by ziggy101
jonghotti wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm
We got any electrical engineers around here? I need some help figuring out where and which pins to solder a SATA data connector onto on an LG BP60NB10 which is USB out only in order to dump it's firmware. Happy to send you one if schematics are not to be found online.
The few USB drives I've taken apart had an internal SATA interface, but a small pc board was connected to it to translate to a USB connection. So it looks like you can easily unplug that board and gain access to a regular SATA connector once you get the thing out of the case (I haven't actually tried it, but it sure looks like it would work).

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:31 am
by jonghotti
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:03 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm
Had a stack of 8 slims to go through today, 1 BU50N firmware BW50, 5 BU40Ns firmware 1.02, 1 BU40N firmware 1.01, 1 BU40N firmware 1.00. So both 1.00 and 1.01 are friendly and released in 2016 and 2017 respectively with 1.02 the cock-blocker appearing in 2018.

We got any electrical engineers around here? I need some help figuring out where and which pins to solder a SATA data connector onto on an LG BP60NB10 which is USB out only in order to dump it's firmware. Happy to send you one if schematics are not to be found online.
Do you have an esata adapter on your computer? You could possibly get a usb to esata cable so that your usb drive would connect to the esata port, then the esata port is connected to your sata motherboard connection.

Something like
https://www.startech.com/au/HDD/Adapter ... B3S2ESATA3

and
https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-ESAT ... B000NPKGH4
Good call Mr. Nuts I do have esata ports on a couple of these machines I like these older HP SFF desktops. Supposed to be connected to SATA 0 however so why not just a regular SATA > mini usb? I still have a feeling I'm going to end up soldering something but we'll get it done!!

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 am
by MartyMcNuts
jonghotti wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:31 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:03 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm
Had a stack of 8 slims to go through today, 1 BU50N firmware BW50, 5 BU40Ns firmware 1.02, 1 BU40N firmware 1.01, 1 BU40N firmware 1.00. So both 1.00 and 1.01 are friendly and released in 2016 and 2017 respectively with 1.02 the cock-blocker appearing in 2018.

We got any electrical engineers around here? I need some help figuring out where and which pins to solder a SATA data connector onto on an LG BP60NB10 which is USB out only in order to dump it's firmware. Happy to send you one if schematics are not to be found online.
Do you have an esata adapter on your computer? You could possibly get a usb to esata cable so that your usb drive would connect to the esata port, then the esata port is connected to your sata motherboard connection.

Something like
https://www.startech.com/au/HDD/Adapter ... B3S2ESATA3

and
https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-ESAT ... B000NPKGH4
Good call Mr. Nuts I do have esata ports on a couple of these machines I like these older HP SFF desktops. Supposed to be connected to SATA 0 however so why not just a regular SATA > mini usb? I still have a feeling I'm going to end up soldering something but we'll get it done!!
Yeah, well I thought it might be worth a try. Really what's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work...

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 am
by mike admin
Let me repeat - all drives with newer firmwares (including slim USB-only) WILL be supported soon.

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:54 pm
by SamuriHL
Awesome! Truly amazing that you're able to support all drives.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:37 pm
by tuuatwaffle
mike admin wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 am
Let me repeat - all drives with newer firmwares (including slim USB-only) WILL be supported soon.
Is that including Pioneer? Thanks for the fantastic work you do.

Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm
by spl147
tuuatwaffle wrote:
mike admin wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 am
Let me repeat - all drives with newer firmwares (including slim USB-only) WILL be supported soon.
Is that including Pioneer? Thanks for the fantastic work you do.
Pioneer might be supported, how many times must it be said


Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:10 pm
by tuuatwaffle
spl147 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm
tuuatwaffle wrote:
mike admin wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 am
Let me repeat - all drives with newer firmwares (including slim USB-only) WILL be supported soon.
Is that including Pioneer? Thanks for the fantastic work you do.
Pioneer will never be supported, how many times must it be said


Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
Probably a few more if Mike says All drives will be supported.

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:18 pm
by mike admin
spl147 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Pioneer will never be supported, how many times must it be said
I have to take it back. Pioneer might be supported after all. I cannot provide any hints or estimates, but it is sufficient to say that "never" part should be certainly stroked out.

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:20 pm
by spl147
mike admin wrote:
spl147 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Pioneer will never be supported, how many times must it be said
I have to take it back. Pioneer might be supported after all. I cannot provide any hints or estimates, but it is sufficient to say that "never" part should be certainly stroked out.
I stand corrected


Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm
by Xavier24
Thanks again Mike for this good news.
I will be able to enjoy with my LG BU40N usb player full of MakeMkv.
I am impatient ... :D

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:49 pm
by tuuatwaffle
mike admin wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:18 pm
spl147 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Pioneer will never be supported, how many times must it be said
I have to take it back. Pioneer might be supported after all. I cannot provide any hints or estimates, but it is sufficient to say that "never" part should be certainly stroked out.
Hopefully. Cracking work sir.

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14 pm
by unknownLake
I apologize for my ignorance but will computers with CPUs earlier than Kabylake be able to rip UHD discs with MakeMKV?
- Thanks

The LG site says the WH16NS60 system requirements are Intel 7th Gen. Kabylake Core i3 or higher.

https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH16NS60

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:18 pm
by jonghotti
ziggy101 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:18 am
jonghotti wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm
We got any electrical engineers around here? I need some help figuring out where and which pins to solder a SATA data connector onto on an LG BP60NB10 which is USB out only in order to dump it's firmware. Happy to send you one if schematics are not to be found online.
The few USB drives I've taken apart had an internal SATA interface, but a small pc board was connected to it to translate to a USB connection. So it looks like you can easily unplug that board and gain access to a regular SATA connector once you get the thing out of the case (I haven't actually tried it, but it sure looks like it would work).
You are correct, most of them do function like that. Except for this one, it's one single piece. Certainly more cost effective to wire the connector directly to the ICs that are running the device. I was going to try that SATA > USB cable idea something tells me it's not going to be that easy because if it were someone would have already done it :)

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:02 pm
by jonghotti
Xavier24 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm
Thanks again Mike for this good news.
I will be able to enjoy with my LG BU40N usb player full of MakeMkv.
I am impatient ... :D
Why can't you enjoy it now?