Asus SBC-06D2X-U

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
drjohnnyfever

Asus SBC-06D2X-U

Post by drjohnnyfever »

I've seen some mention of the Asus SBC-06D2X-U in this forum, but no clear sense of whether or not it's UHD friendly.

It's currently on sale at my local Staples, and being an external drive it's attractive to me. I know I can return it if it doesn't work, but maybe someone here has some insight before I make the initial purchase?

Thanks
st4evr

Re: Asus SBC-06D2X-U

Post by st4evr »

Don't bother. Not supported. Buy one from the list as discussed here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=16832

And save yourself the trouble and headache.

Excluding the ASUS BW-16D1HT-PRO on the list as that has been a known hit and miss.
drjohnnyfever

Post by drjohnnyfever »

I was aware of that list, but they're all internal drives (except the BE16NU50 which I can't find in stock) and I was hopeful for this external drive.

Thanks for the feedback. You've saved me a trip to the store :D
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

You can simply buy an internal drive + an enclosure. That's all external drives are. An internal drive within an enclosure. Just that the manufacturer/distributor puts it in an enclosure for you.
drjohnnyfever

Post by drjohnnyfever »

st4evr wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:38 pm
You can simply buy an internal drive + an enclosure. That's all external drives are. An internal drive within an enclosure. Just that the manufacturer/distributor puts it in an enclosure for you.
I'm aware, and I've done that before. I just figure if I can get an external drive as easy as an internal + enclosure, then I'll go external. But I'm starting to realize that a UHD friendly external drive is the unicorn of drives :lol:

Anyway... back to making a buying decision. I pour over these forums daily not wanting to make a bad buying decision, but soon I'm going to have to buy something. I was hoping this Asus SBC-06D2X-U at Staples would be a good choice because it was so conveniently waiting for me at the store.