Region Free?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Amberdog

Region Free?

Post by Amberdog »

I want to know if Bluray writers are like Dvd Writers and you can only change regions a limited number of times. It is because some releases I would like to write are from the UK and Japan and are not available in North America.

If Region free Bluray writers do not exist. Would it be easier to use a Region free blu ray player and use a 4k capture card. Would that work?
demon

Re: Region Free?

Post by demon »

Er, I think you're confused.

* Yes, Blu-ray Disc drives also have DVD region codes, which can only be set a certain number of times.
* This is irrelevant for ripping purposes, because ripping software reads the data from the disc in a way that bypasses the region restrictions.
* Blu-ray Disc region coding isn't managed at the drive level, but the player level, so it's even more irrelevant to you.
* Writing Blu-ray Discs doesn't incorporate any region restrictions, because those are done as part of the production process. Unless you're making an official pressed disc, they won't matter. (i.e., burned discs don't have region codes)
* UltraHD Blu-ray Discs don't have any region restrictions. The steering committee authoring the UHD BD standard chose to omit them.
* I don't think there are any 4K capture cards, so you're wishing for something that's irrelevant to the equation.

I've ripped BD Region B discs in the US, which I can then play the ripped streams from on whatever I want. Region controls don't stop ripping.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What demon said.

If your setting for minimum title length in MakeMKV is set low enough, a BD rip will contain a number of files that say, "This disk isn't for your region!", along with the feature and all the extras. MakeMKV doesn't care.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

as region coding is just a software construct, burned discs can have region codes as much as pressed discs in bluray land. with that said, it has zero impact on ripping to mkv though.