NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts »

GregoryV wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:39 am
Hello

Well the new tool showed a success but the firmware never changed. I flashed the 1.2 and it said success.I then flashed 1.0 and again it said success but version never changed.then redid 1.2 then 1.1 both showed success but now version number change. Can the firmware actually be changed on this drive? Ive tried all day to get this to work. its getting to where i just might send this drive back to Newegg and pay through the nose for a drive from Japan.
GregoryV,

Here are the steps:

1. Flash the drive to BP60NB10 1.02-MK.
2. Flash the drive to BP60NB10 1.00-MK.

That's it. Done. The drive should ow be on BP60NB10 1.00-MK.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
GregoryV

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by GregoryV »

Just to clarify no version I have flashed has been successful. I thought it was since EVERY time no matter what it says successful but there is no change in the firmware number.
I am using the firmware from the Asus flasher and firmware versions download link from the OP.
So my question I guess is Are those firmwares the Mk versions? If not where can I get the MK versions of 1.02 and 1.0?
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

my apologies as i didnt realize you are in fact the OP.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

GregoryV wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:13 am
my apologies as i didnt realize you are in fact the OP.
If you downloaded the flasher + firmware pack zip file from the first post, the firmware/s you are looking for are located in the zip file at:

BP60NB10 1.02-MK:
mk-firmware-pack-20200720\MK\HL-DT-ST\BP60NB10\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.02-NM00800-212005070935.bin

BP60NB10 1.00-MK:
mk-firmware-pack-20200720\MK\old\HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP60NB10-1.00-NM00200-211711211720.bin

So, as your drive came with 1.02, you must flash 1.02 MK first. Since it is the same firmware (just the MK version), you will not see any drive firmware number change.

Now you can flash 1.00-MK.

Once this has been done, open MakeMKV and you should see on the right hand side, firmware is version 1.00 and that libredrive has been enabled.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
trippycat

Re:

Post by trippycat »

trippycat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:23 pm
PrimoAngelo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 am
I have an LG BE16NU50 and LG BH16NS55 drives. Thanks to this guide I have succesfully flash a DE firmware and I can rip 4K and burn blank media.
Is it possible to crossflash these drives to enable scanning of burned bluray? (Qpxtools or Opti Drive Control).
Could this change possibly break the possibility of burning new discs?
[...]
I ordered a BH16NS55 today, I'll flash it to BH16NS55-MK (as it'll probably come with the 1.04 firmware version with downgrade protection), then crossflash it to WH16NS58-1.V5-MK. I'll cross fingers and report whether it works here. :)

If it doesn't, well, we're probably out of luck (and I've been looking into this topic for a bunch of hours).
Alright, answering to myself: it works!
I received my BH16NS55 today, with fw 1.04 as expected. I flashed 1.04-MK over it, successfully, then crossflashed WH16NS58-1.V5-MK. I can now successfully scan BD-R discs!

Here is a scan at normal (max) speed:
bdr-scan-12x.png
bdr-scan-12x.png (84.4 KiB) Viewed 16275 times
A scan at low speed (2x):
bdr_scan_2x.png
bdr_scan_2x.png (82.94 KiB) Viewed 16275 times
And a scan of a (badly) damaged disc:
bdr_bad_scan.png
bdr_bad_scan.png (81.24 KiB) Viewed 16275 times
Note that as a cool bonus feature, it does also support DVD quality scanning (PIE/PIF/POF).

Of course, it also happens to be a LibreDrive, which may come out handy at some point :) Clearly, it's the perfect drive for me!
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

Hello

Then ive been using the right ones from the start then. glad to know im not a total idiot. Using the SDF tool i load the firmware 1.02mk choose the drive, hit start, it goes through the progress bar then shows success. i reboot just to be sure then load the 1.0mk go through the same process. It says success but when i check in MakeMKV it still shows 1.02 and all the options say possible (with patched firmware)

Could this be a usb problem? Should i try to remove the drive from the enclosure and go direct sata to my PC? im just worried as that will most certainly void my warranty.

And again thank you for all your help.
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

Well I thought this might be a usb bottleneck issue so I learned how to disassemble my new drive by taking apart my old drive. Once I got both apart I was faced with a drive that has an extended pcb to the charging port. Never seen that before.
Now I cannot even direct connect to my PC to try and flash the drive as the BP60NB10 does not have the SATA power or data plug present in the back.
I have tried flashing on my laptop and then my PC to no avail. I guess there is a chipset that is keeping me from flashing back.
I truly appreciate the help I have recieved. I'm going to buy a 5.25 desktop drive and an enclosure and return this junk to Newegg.

Thank you to all that helped.
Attachments
Soldered board on LG BP60NB10
Soldered board on LG BP60NB10
20200911_124752.jpg (340.03 KiB) Viewed 16262 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

GregoryV wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:55 pm
Well I thought this might be a usb bottleneck issue so I learned how to disassemble my new drive by taking apart my old drive. Once I got both apart I was faced with a drive that has an extended pcb to the charging port. Never seen that before.
Now I cannot even direct connect to my PC to try and flash the drive as the BP60NB10 does not have the SATA power or data plug present in the back.
I have tried flashing on my laptop and then my PC to no avail. I guess there is a chipset that is keeping me from flashing back.
I truly appreciate the help I have recieved. I'm going to buy a 5.25 desktop drive and an enclosure and return this junk to Newegg.

Thank you to all that helped.
I'm lost as to why it is not flashing properly. Do you have both USB's plugged in. Make sure you do.

Also as a last ditch attempt, can you try the ASUS flasher using the same steps (1.02 MK then 1.00 MK).
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

Yup both plugs are always in. It's a failure number 5 when trying the modified ASUS. I'm going in order like you showed and even deleted all the files from the link and then re-downloaded them just to be sure they weren't corrupted.

The drive was manufactured in July of this year. Like I said in my previous post I think the pcb being custom and the unit not having a sata hookup is one of the issues.
Attachments
20200911_174416.jpg
20200911_174416.jpg (946.76 KiB) Viewed 16240 times
20200911_174224.jpg
20200911_174224.jpg (730.98 KiB) Viewed 16240 times
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

Here is the MakeMKV pics.
And again thank you for the help.
Attachments
MakeMKV screen
MakeMKV screen
20200911_175136.jpg (383.48 KiB) Viewed 16239 times
MakeMKV Screenshot
MakeMKV Screenshot
20200911_175237.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 16239 times
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Because you have not read enough. You can't go directly to 1.00 from 1.02.
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:56 pm
I've followed the directions given by the OP. And it still doesn't change the fact that it will not flash at all. It fails even when attempting to go from the stock 1.02 to the 1.02 mk. Maybe you need to read a bit more.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

GregoryV wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 am
SamuriHL wrote:
I've followed the directions given by the OP. And it still doesn't change the fact that it will not flash at all. It fails even when attempting to go from the stock 1.02 to the 1.02 mk. Maybe you need to read a bit more.
Your picture shows that your drive is on 1.02 and you selected 1.00. So, good luck.
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:59 am
GregoryV wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Your picture shows that your drive is on 1.02 and you selected 1.00. So, good luck.
Read back further bud. This was the last attempt after doing dozens of others. You obviously have not read the previously posted pics or threads as the CREATOR of the tool we are discussing instructed me on the procedure. Will it make you feel better if I attempt for the 50th time and take a picture of the FAILURE to go from 1.02 STOCK to 1.02 MK?

I have used both the modded ASUS and the other sdk tool RECOMMENDED BY THE CREATOR to try and flash from 1.02 to 1.02mk then 1.01mk then 1.0.
Guess what happened. They ALL failed. He was very helpful. You've come to the party late ASSUMED I didn't do things right when I am unable to do even THE FIRST STEP.
Either you have some constructive tips or please leave it be.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

GregoryV wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Ok, I think I know why it hasn't worked. I just realized that your drive's stock 1.02 firmware is an encrypted firmware.

Here are the new steps for you:
1. Using the SDFtool Flasher, select firmware 1.02 MK and check the "enc" box.
2. Once this has flashed successfully, select firmware 1.00 MK and make sure "enc" is not checked.

This should do the trick and you should be on 1.00 MK.