NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by Billycar11 »

goody83 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:04 am
Just checking if i get a asus BW-16D1HT with frimware 3.03 can i use this to downgrade

thanks,
yes
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Sonate109

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by Sonate109 »

Marty, thanks a million! I have a new Asus BW-16D1HT with 3.03 firmware installed. Of the two files included in your download, the 3.02 and 3.01, do I need to do a sequential flashing or can I go straight to the 3.01 from the existing 3.03.

Also, do any of these downgrades affect the burn and read characteristics of the drive other than enabling UHD output.

Much appreciated, Thanks.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Sonate109 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Marty, thanks a million! I have a new Asus BW-16D1HT with 3.03 firmware installed. Of the two files included in your download, the 3.02 and 3.01, do I need to do a sequential flashing or can I go straight to the 3.01 from the existing 3.03.

Also, do any of these downgrades affect the burn and read characteristics of the drive other than enabling UHD output.

Much appreciated, Thanks.
There really isn't much point in using 3.01. Go straight to the 3.02 and you will be good to go! 3.02 has better disc compatibility than 3.01. The drive will read and write just fine.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
pcwolf

Post by pcwolf »

Bravo, Gentlemen!

Since I have both one LG WH14NS40 *and* one ASUS BW-16D1HT drive, I have been reading and following closely from the original 40 page thread, through about five other threads, and now all the way to this convenient trick to simplify back-leveling the drive firmware to be UHD friendly. I believe I have it now ... but there is one question I have not seen DIRECTLY answered:

"Do I understand right, that the ASUS hacked firmware updater will work with BOTH brands of drives, so long as the correct backlevel firmware (ASUS *or* LG) is chosen?"

So ... the ASUS software will update both drives? I don't need to download the LG variety of hacked stock loader? Because the only LG one I saw was on a Polish, or maybe Czech, board forum, and I was not feeling all that secure about having to take a risk it had been hacked with evil intentions.

Thanks, muchly, for all your work, Marty!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

pcwolf wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 pm
Bravo, Gentlemen!

Since I have both one LG WH14NS40 *and* one ASUS BW-16D1HT drive, I have been reading and following closely from the original 40 page thread, through about five other threads, and now all the way to this convenient trick to simplify back-leveling the drive firmware to be UHD friendly. I believe I have it now ... but there is one question I have not seen DIRECTLY answered:

"Do I understand right, that the ASUS hacked firmware updater will work with BOTH brands of drives, so long as the correct backlevel firmware (ASUS *or* LG) is chosen?"

So ... the ASUS software will update both drives? I don't need to download the LG variety of hacked stock loader? Because the only LG one I saw was on a Polish, or maybe Czech, board forum, and I was not feeling all that secure about having to take a risk it had been hacked with evil intentions.

Thanks, muchly, for all your work, Marty!
Your welcome and yes, the modified ASUS firmware changer will work on both ASUS and LG drives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
battousai2

Post by battousai2 »

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I get the error updating failure #3. I am using bw16d1ht at 3.03 with an external hdd adapter. I downloaded from the top link, uncompressed the folder, clicked on the exe, hit cancel, the interface came up with 3.02 firmware and my drive. My drive opens up then I get the error. I tried the 3.01 firmware as well, same issue.
goody83

Post by goody83 »

Got the Asus BW-16D1HT firmware 3.03, got it to 3.02, 4k blu rays copy awesome, not 1 issue. my issue is when i go to copy DVD's i get errors saying it can't read disc, or Make MKV just freezes. anyone else have this issue?
jkosanke

Post by jkosanke »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 am
Hi everyone,

Just to give you all another option, I have modified the official ASUS ODD FW Flasher tool to allow the user to flash or cross-flash their drive to a "UHD Friendly" firmware.

Included with the ASUS Flasher, is the 'DE' UHD friendly firmwares we are currently using with the LG Flasher tool.

Also, if you happen to use your own clean firmware file that hasn't been 'DE' enabled, this app will automatically make the file 'DE' enabled and save it.

It is very easy to use:

1. Run ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe.
2. In popup window, select a firmware file to flash. (If you click CANCEL, the auto default firmware is ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02)
3. When the main interface opens, select your drive (if not already selected)
4. Hit "START" button. The drive tray will open. Once firmware flash is completed, drive tray will close again.
5. Done.

Here is the link to the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hcy1bbbz ... s.zip/file

Here is just the modified ASUS Flasher if you already have the 'DE' enable firmwares. Just put it in the folder with the firmwares.

ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).zip

Have fun guys!!
If I understand the instructions above, the ASUS ODD Firmware Changer (Modified) can downgrade a WH16N40 with a 1.03 firmware version to 1.02 in Windows 10 without having to boot off of a USB Stick into DOS to change the firmware? If so, is there any reason why anyone would not want to do it this way?
Thanks for your help, Jack
hazer

Post by hazer »

Picked up a BW-16D1HT drive, came with the 3.02 FW revision, but appears to be the busticated one... I booted up the flash util, opted for the 3.02 firmware and hit start... How long should the drive sit there with the tray out? It spit out the tray, but hasn't retracted it for about 10 minutes now. Utility shows to be eating between 10 and 11% CPU so it's doing something,,, but is it actually working or did Amazon break the drive when they (quite literally) threw it at my door earlier today?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

hazer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 pm
Picked up a BW-16D1HT drive, came with the 3.02 FW revision, but appears to be the busticated one... I booted up the flash util, opted for the 3.02 firmware and hit start... How long should the drive sit there with the tray out? It spit out the tray, but hasn't retracted it for about 10 minutes now. Utility shows to be eating between 10 and 11% CPU so it's doing something,,, but is it actually working or did Amazon break the drive when they (quite literally) threw it at my door earlier today?
Not sure what the go is with your drive... Is it installed internally? In an enclosure? Do you use a cable adapter?

The firmware change should take around 20 seconds. The drive tray opens, the flash takes place (approx 20 seconds) then the drive tray closes and a fw update completed message pops up.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jkosanke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm

If I understand the instructions above, the ASUS ODD Firmware Changer (Modified) can downgrade a WH16N40 with a 1.03 firmware version to 1.02 in Windows 10 without having to boot off of a USB Stick into DOS to change the firmware? If so, is there any reason why anyone would not want to do it this way?
Hi jkosanke,

Yes, you are correct. (As long as your WH16NS40 is a newer drive (2016+) with SVC NS50 on the label)

No need for the old dosflash method. No need to boot from usb stick.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

battousai2 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:39 pm
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I get the error updating failure #3. I am using bw16d1ht at 3.03 with an external hdd adapter. I downloaded from the top link, uncompressed the folder, clicked on the exe, hit cancel, the interface came up with 3.02 firmware and my drive. My drive opens up then I get the error. I tried the 3.01 firmware as well, same issue.
It could be your external adapter. I have heard of some people having issues with certain usb enclosures not passing through all commands to the drive. Perhaps your adapter is doing a similar thing?

Can you give this file a try. It is the official ASUS 3.02 firmware updater (only downgrade enabled. No other patches) If this doesn't work for you,then your adapter would be the culprit.
ASUS ODD FW 3.02 Updater for BW-16D1HT (DE).zip
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 1113 times
jkosanke

Post by jkosanke »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 am
jkosanke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Hi jkosanke,

Yes, you are correct. (As long as your WH16NS40 is a newer drive (2016+) with SVC NS50 on the label)

No need for the old dosflash method. No need to boot from usb stick.
Sweet, Thanks for the quick reply!

I need a new drive and is there any benefit in getting a WH16NS60 over another WH16NS40? My WH16N40 drive (F/W 1.02) suddenly started to make loud sounds like a garbage disposal (literally) a few weeks ago ripping a Blu-ray disc. I unplugged the power as quickly as possible as the only way to stop the drive and used a paperclip to eject the disk thinking it would be chewed up. To my suprise, the disk still worked (in another drive) and the computer recognizes the drive and Device Manager reports no problems. However, the drive will not read a disk anymore and there is no grinding noise. I am guessing the laser assembly malfunctioned as I do not hear any head seeking.
battousai2

Post by battousai2 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 am
It could be your external adapter. I have heard of some people having issues with certain usb enclosures not passing through all commands to the drive. Perhaps your adapter is doing a similar thing?

Can you give this file a try. It is the official ASUS 3.02 firmware updater (only downgrade enabled. No other patches) If this doesn't work for you,then your adapter would be the culprit.

ASUS ODD FW 3.02 Updater for BW-16D1HT (DE).zip
Same error. I'm using vantec cb-st00u3 nexstar usb 3.0 to Sata 6gbps adapter, so that doesn't work for this. Is there any enclosures on amazon that have worked? Also, would I have to use the new enclosure every time I rip a 4k disc or is this just for the firmware?