NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
BoneDaddy

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by BoneDaddy »

Thanks so much for the help and Info!
keithhelms

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by keithhelms »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 am
EDIT (03.09.2019):
I have created 2 modified (hybrid = HBD) firmwares solely for the BP50NB40. Firmware BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD will allow you to flash your BP50NB40 to BP60NB10. Firmware BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD will allow you to go back to BP50NB40_1.01_MK if you ever require it. The firmware zip is below.

Hybrid_Firmware_for_BP50NB40_to_BP60NB10.zip
I just flashed my BP50NB40 with 1.02 firmware to the MK firmware using the new pack released on the 11th.
(HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.02-NM00700-211811011016.bin)
Can I use your hybrid firmware to flash that MK firmware or does your hybrid firmware only apply to the 1.01 version?

My drive now shows as libredrive enabled under MakeMKV, but if I'm understanding all the threads that does not mean it is UHD friendly yet, right?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

keithhelms wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 am
EDIT (03.09.2019):
I have created 2 modified (hybrid = HBD) firmwares solely for the BP50NB40. Firmware BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD will allow you to flash your BP50NB40 to BP60NB10. Firmware BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD will allow you to go back to BP50NB40_1.01_MK if you ever require it. The firmware zip is below.

Hybrid_Firmware_for_BP50NB40_to_BP60NB10.zip
I just flashed my BP50NB40 with 1.02 firmware to the MK firmware using the new pack released on the 11th.
(HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.02-NM00700-211811011016.bin)
Can I use your hybrid firmware to flash that MK firmware or does your hybrid firmware only apply to the 1.01 version?

My drive now shows as libredrive enabled under MakeMKV, but if I'm understanding all the threads that does not mean it is UHD friendly yet, right?
Correct. The BP50NB40 firmware (and MK firmware) are not UHD friendly.

Yes, please try to flash the hybrid firmware to the drive. If it doesn't work directly from BP50NB40_1.02_MK, you should downgrade to BP50NB40_1.01_MK first. Once the HBD firmware has been flashed, your drive will be seen as a BP60NB10 UHD drive and it will work just fine with MakeMKV.

Let us know how you go!

Cheers
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
keithhelms

Post by keithhelms »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:14 am

Yes, please try to flash the hybrid firmware to the drive. If it doesn't work directly from BP50NB40_1.02_MK, you should downgrade to BP50NB40_1.01_MK first. Once the HBD firmware has been flashed, your drive will be seen as a BP60NB10 UHD drive and it will work just fine with MakeMKV.

Let us know how you go!

Cheers
Worked great. I was able to flash the bp60nb10 firmware without first needing to downgrade to the bp50nb40 1.01 firmware. MakeMKV now reports the drive to be model bp60nb10, it listed the titles off a 4k disc just like it always has for regular blu rays and I was able to back up a 50gb 4k title in about 35 minutes. Whoohoo!

The video was choppy using vlc on Xubuntu on a 4k laptop, but played fine using the mpv player. Now I need to read up on handbrake and the x265 encoder to see about shrinking the files.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

keithhelms wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:36 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:14 am

Let us know how you go!

Cheers
Worked great. I was able to flash the bp60nb10 firmware without first needing to downgrade to the bp50nb40 1.01 firmware. MakeMKV now reports the drive to be model bp60nb10, it listed the titles off a 4k disc just like it always has for regular blu rays and I was able to back up a 50gb 4k title in about 35 minutes. Whoohoo!

The video was choppy using vlc on Xubuntu on a 4k laptop, but played fine using the mpv player. Now I need to read up on handbrake and the x265 encoder to see about shrinking the files.
That's great!! Thanks for letting me know how it went.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
ibanezbass

Post by ibanezbass »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:03 pm
@Billycar11, @jonghotti, @SamuriHL,

I thought you guys might be interested in this.

@ibanezbass,

I dont' know if it will work (probably not!) for your BP50NB40 with 1.02 but please give this hybrid firmware a try. It won't hurt. It will either work or you will get the same error as before. If it manages to flash successfully then you will be good to go.

EDIT (03.09.2019):
I have created 2 modified (hybrid = HBD) firmwares solely for the BP50NB40. Firmware BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD will allow you to flash your BP50NB40 to BP60NB10. Firmware BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD will allow you to go back to BP50NB40_1.01_MK if you ever require it. See my original post for the firmware zip.

Cheers!
You are awesome, sir. My drive wasn't the one at 1.02, but the crossflash worked perfectly. I can read UHD discs now!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

ibanezbass wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:31 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:03 pm
@Billycar11, @jonghotti, @SamuriHL,

I thought you guys might be interested in this.

@ibanezbass,

I dont' know if it will work (probably not!) for your BP50NB40 with 1.02 but please give this hybrid firmware a try. It won't hurt. It will either work or you will get the same error as before. If it manages to flash successfully then you will be good to go.

EDIT (03.09.2019):
I have created 2 modified (hybrid = HBD) firmwares solely for the BP50NB40. Firmware BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD will allow you to flash your BP50NB40 to BP60NB10. Firmware BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD will allow you to go back to BP50NB40_1.01_MK if you ever require it. See my original post for the firmware zip.

Cheers!
You are awesome, sir. My drive wasn't the one at 1.02, but the crossflash worked perfectly. I can read UHD discs now!
Excellent!! Glad I could help!
Bobvader

Post by Bobvader »

I m new here

Some questions

1- I have buy on ebay uhd friendly drive asus. With 3.10 firmware and work pefect for 4k disk. It is because it s 3.10 modified firmware?

2- If I buy another asus 16d1ht drive on amazone... probably came with stock 3.10? And not uhd friendly? For use flasher... I can put directly 3.02 firware or I must go with mk 3.10 before go to 3.02?.... and If I stay with mk 3.10...4k will be ok? Or I must flash to 3.02 after?

3- for now I have flash 2 lg wh14s40 with 1.02 firmware and work perfect. I can use these lg drive for my second pc... but guy at blue cloner say to me asus are better? True?

4- for make a copy of my 4k movies on 50gb blank disk with blue cloner?
Which burner is best asus 16d1ht or the new lg wh16ns60?

Thanks for answer to my 4 questions

Sorry for my english.. I m french canadian.

Thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Bobvader wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:45 pm
I m new here

Some questions

1- I have buy on ebay uhd friendly drive asus. With 3.10 firmware and work pefect for 4k disk. It is because it s 3.10 modified firmware?

2- If I buy another asus 16d1ht drive on amazone... probably came with stock 3.10? And not uhd friendly? For use flasher... I can put directly 3.02 firware or I must go with mk 3.10 before go to 3.02?.... and If I stay with mk 3.10...4k will be ok? Or I must flash to 3.02 after?

3- for now I have flash 2 lg wh14s40 with 1.02 firmware and work perfect. I can use these lg drive for my second pc... but guy at blue cloner say to me asus are better? True?

Thanks
1. Yes, correct.

2. No. If the new drive has stock 3.10, you must flash 3.10-MK first, then any other firmware you want.

3. That is just his personal opinion. The ASUS firmware is faster though.

4. The NS60 is an official UHD drive. I don't know anything about "that" software application to give a complete answer. The one question I ask is:
Can that program use official UHD drives, such as the NS60, or does it only use UHD friendly drives? If it can, then the NS60 is the best drive.

Cheers
Bobvader

Post by Bobvader »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 pm
Bobvader wrote:
I m new here

Some questions

Thanks
1. Yes, correct.

2. No. If the new drive has stock 3.10, you must flash 3.10-MK first, then any other firmware you want.

4. The NS60 is an official UHD drive. I don't know anything about "that" software application to give a complete answer. The one question I ask is:
Can that program use official UHD drives, such as the NS60, or does it only use UHD friendly drives? If it can, then the NS60 is the best drive.

Cheers
Yes blue cloner need uhd friendly drive... the lg ns60 his better than the asus in this case?

Thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Bobvader wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:18 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 pm
Bobvader wrote:
I m new here

Some questions

Thanks
1. Yes, correct.

Cheers
Yes blue cloner need uhd friendly drive... the lg ns60 his better than the asus in this case?

Thanks
From a quick google of "blue cloner", I found the list of compatible drives and can clearly see that it only uses "UHD friendly" drives, not "official" UHD drives, so the answer is NO, the NS60 cannot be used with "blu cloner".

As I said previously, the NS60 is an "Official" UHD drive. It is not a "UHD Friendly" drive. By definition:

1. A "UHD Friendly" drive = a standard blu-ray drive that uses AACS 1 encryption/decryption methods. EG: The ASUS BW-16D1HT drive

2. An "Official" UHD drive = a blu-ray / UHD drive that uses both AACS 1 and AACS 2.x encryption/decryption methods. EG: The LG WH16NS60.

Hope that helps.
Bobvader

Post by Bobvader »

Thanks for your answers. I have order another asus for my second pc
Bobvader

Post by Bobvader »

And now guy at blue cloner say to me I must use my asus drive because my lg have certificate revoked ???

What is that? And I can fix that or my drive is dead?

Thanks
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Bobvader wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:36 pm
And now guy at blue cloner say to me I must use my asus drive because my lg have certificate revoked ???

What is that? And I can fix that or my drive is dead?

Thanks
Ok first and foremost this is the MakeMKV Support Forum. It’s literally what this forum is called. Use a bit of your common sense there. Not the Blue Cloner support forum. You’ve been asking Blue Cloner related support questions here since you joined.

Two, you have to discuss this with their support as to how their application handles certificates for drives and how they add support for AACS host certificates. Not at the MakeMKV support forum. These are two completely different softwares and completely unrelated development teams/entities. Again, common sense.

Here Mike (owner/developer of MakeMKV) has his way of updating MakeMKV for support as versions come out. You need to discuss with Blue Cloner support how they provide their customers (you) with support for this separately. And what drives they specifically support and why. It's their software and their decision as to what to support and why.