NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jkosanke wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:26 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 am
jkosanke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm

If I understand the instructions above, the ASUS ODD Firmware Changer (Modified) can downgrade a WH16N40 with a 1.03 firmware version to 1.02 in Windows 10 without having to boot off of a USB Stick into DOS to change the firmware? If so, is there any reason why anyone would not want to do it this way?
Thanks for your help, Jack
Hi jkosanke,

Yes, you are correct. (As long as your WH16NS40 is a newer drive (2016+) with SVC NS50 on the label)

No need for the old dosflash method. No need to boot from usb stick.
Sweet, Thanks for the quick reply!

I need a new drive and is there any benefit in getting a WH16NS60 over another WH16NS40? My WH16N40 drive (F/W 1.02) suddenly started to make loud sounds like a garbage disposal (literally) a few weeks ago ripping a Blu-ray disc. I unplugged the power as quickly as possible as the only way to stop the drive and used a paperclip to eject the disk thinking it would be chewed up. To my suprise, the disk still worked (in another drive) and the computer recognizes the drive and Device Manager reports no problems. However, the drive will not read a disk anymore and there is no grinding noise. I am guessing the laser assembly malfunctioned as I do not hear any head seeking.
Yes! The WH16NS60 is an official UHD drive and when downgraded to firmware 1.00 is compatible with MakeMKV. (Eventually firmware 1.01 should hopefully also be supported). If you can get one, go for it!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts »

battousai2 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:36 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 am
It could be your external adapter. I have heard of some people having issues with certain usb enclosures not passing through all commands to the drive. Perhaps your adapter is doing a similar thing?

Can you give this file a try. It is the official ASUS 3.02 firmware updater (only downgrade enabled. No other patches) If this doesn't work for you,then your adapter would be the culprit.

ASUS ODD FW 3.02 Updater for BW-16D1HT (DE).zip
Same error. I'm using vantec cb-st00u3 nexstar usb 3.0 to Sata 6gbps adapter, so that doesn't work for this. Is there any enclosures on amazon that have worked? Also, would I have to use the new enclosure every time I rip a 4k disc or is this just for the firmware?
Are you able to connect your drive to a sata port on your motherboard at all. Even for just a few minutes to be able to flash your drive? Because once it has been flashed, your adapter should then work fine.

EG: If you have multiple hard drives, could you unplug one and use the sata connection for your ASUS drive?

The cable I use is a Unitek Y-1034 which I have never had an issue with. (see below link)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNITEK-Y-10 ... 1438.l2649

Your's would be a similar thing to this (but Vantec). The enclosures I've heard people having issues with are also Vantec. Maybe something in Vantec's programming?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
hazer

Post by hazer »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 am
hazer wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 pm
Picked up a BW-16D1HT drive, came with the 3.02 FW revision, but appears to be the busticated one... I booted up the flash util, opted for the 3.02 firmware and hit start... How long should the drive sit there with the tray out? It spit out the tray, but hasn't retracted it for about 10 minutes now. Utility shows to be eating between 10 and 11% CPU so it's doing something,,, but is it actually working or did Amazon break the drive when they (quite literally) threw it at my door earlier today?
Not sure what the go is with your drive... Is it installed internally? In an enclosure? Do you use a cable adapter?

The firmware change should take around 20 seconds. The drive tray opens, the flash takes place (approx 20 seconds) then the drive tray closes and a fw update completed message pops up.
After 20 minutes I manually closed the tray. Another 10 minutes after that I killed the app. When I opened MakeMKV it showed this time that LibreDrive was working and I was able to pull the data from my UHD disk... Not sure if environment counts but: Win10 Pro 1803 x64, Intel i7 6850k
battousai2

Post by battousai2 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:24 am
Are you able to connect your drive to a sata port on your motherboard at all. Even for just a few minutes to be able to flash your drive? Because once it has been flashed, your adapter should then work fine.

EG: If you have multiple hard drives, could you unplug one and use the sata connection for your ASUS drive?

The cable I use is a Unitek Y-1034 which I have never had an issue with. (see below link)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNITEK-Y-10 ... 1438.l2649

Your's would be a similar thing to this (but Vantec). The enclosures I've heard people having issues with are also Vantec. Maybe something in Vantec's programming?
I just built a new pc, and currently only have the nvme type of storage. Either way I gotta buy a cable. Hopefully I can get this working, as I have got a decent amount of 4k discs I want to add to my NAS.
lightsout

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by lightsout »

Sorry for a repetitive question. I just bought this drive, BW-16D1HT.

Was just wanting to be clear that the instructions in the 1st post will apply to me.

It sounds like I can select "cancel" when choosing the FW and it will auto select what I need?
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts »

lightsout wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Was just wanting to be clear that the instructions in the 1st post will apply to me.

It sounds like I can select "cancel" when choosing the FW and it will auto select what I need?
Yes. If you hit canel, the 3.02 firmware should auto-load. You will see this in the main interface under "firmware selected".
lightsout

Post by lightsout »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 pm
lightsout wrote:

Yes. If you hit canel, the 3.02 firmware should auto-load. You will see this in the main interface under "firmware selected".
Sweet thanks a lot man.
dialupisbad

Post by dialupisbad »

Hi MartyMcNuts. Thanks for putting this together and making it available. I've been waiting quite a while to rip several 4K discs that I've accumulated, and this finally seems to be doing the job and doing it well. I'm part way into my first 4K rip and looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Just so that you know, Cylance AV really hates the firmware changer tool...I'd guess it's probably got to do with Cylance's non-traditional detection that uses AI to find things that act harmful, and flashing firmware (especially in a way that enables Libre mode on an optical drive) probably looks harmful to it.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dialupisbad wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:40 am
Hi MartyMcNuts. Thanks for putting this together and making it available. I've been waiting quite a while to rip several 4K discs that I've accumulated, and this finally seems to be doing the job and doing it well. I'm part way into my first 4K rip and looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Just so that you know, Cylance AV really hates the firmware changer tool...I'd guess it's probably got to do with Cylance's non-traditional detection that uses AI to find things that act harmful, and flashing firmware (especially in a way that enables Libre mode on an optical drive) probably looks harmful to it.
No problem. Happy to help. The firmware flashing tools have helped so many people. It's just amazing!

Thanks for the AV note. Yeah, you are right about them not liking firmware changing tools. LOL my AVG kept scanning it when I was debugging during programming! It doesn't bother with it now though. It's all good!

Cheers..
battousai2

Post by battousai2 »

Got it working, and got first disc ripped. I guess if you use an optical drive external enclosure, unitek works while vantec doesnt.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

battousai2 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Got it working, and got first disc ripped. I guess if you use an optical drive external enclosure, unitek works while vantec doesnt.
Good to know. Glad you got your's working!
lightsout

Post by lightsout »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 pm
lightsout wrote:

Popped in the new drive, flashed the FW and started ripping my first disc. Thanks a lot man!!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Your welcome!
conrailguy

Post by conrailguy »

After reading the first post on page 4 of this thread:
"If I understand the instructions above, the ASUS ODD Firmware Changer (Modified) can downgrade a WH16N40 with a 1.03 firmware version to 1.02 in Windows 10 without having to boot off of a USB Stick into DOS to change the firmware? If so, is there any reason why anyone would not want to do it this way?
Thanks for your help, Jack"

and being somewhat challenged because I cannot get dos to run on my machine no matter what I have tried,I would just like to know if there is anyone who has tried this method and can confirm that it has worked for them?Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your time,
conrailguy
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Please be extra careful with that drive. You MUST ensure it has a SVC of NS50 on the label. Anything else and you will cause yourself problems. IF the drive has a SVC code of NS50 on the label then yes, the Windows flasher can be used. Or you can see this post:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113