NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
thatmediaguy

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by thatmediaguy »

Having same problem with Asus BW-16D1HT. It was produced Jan 2020.

Thanks
Billycar11

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Billycar11 »

Imkindanew wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm
Hey guys,
i just got a new Asus BW-16D1HT with Firmware version 3.1.

I tried using the "ODD FW changer modified" to get UHD friendly firmware onto it, but i always get "Update Failure #4" .
I did select the 3.10 firmware from the MK folder, but i cant get it to work :-/

MakeMKV reports 3.10 original.

i could get the drive out of my server to look at the bottom if needed, but i think i remember reading dec 2019 or jan 2020 as a production date.

Could it be that late 2019 produced drives cannot be flashed with that? or is it because im running it in an unraid VM ?

I hope you guys can help me; it's quite hard to find UHD friendly drives in europe...
VM is your problem
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
thatmediaguy

Post by thatmediaguy »

And to be clear I am getting Failure #4 on my Asus BW-16D1HT. I am running Windows 10. And I am not running a VM.

Thanks
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

thatmediaguy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:35 pm
And to be clear I am getting Failure #4 on my Asus BW-16D1HT. I am running Windows 10. And I am not running a VM.

Thanks
how is it connected and if usb what usb to sata converter are you using?
what firmware are you trying to flash?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
thatmediaguy

Post by thatmediaguy »

The DVD drive is connected via SATA to motherboard.

I am was trying to flash to 3.02 from 3.10.

When i hit start I get the "Updating Failure 4 "message.

Thanks
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

Try to flash first WH16NS60 1.02 MK firmware and then the 3.10 MK ASUS.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You don't need to crossflash but you need to flash 3.10MK BEFORE you can flash 3.02. But I would lkeave it at 3.10MK.
Roger65

Post by Roger65 »

I just received my ASUS BW-16D1HT today and flashed it with ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014
This worked as it should with no issues from a Windows 10 PC connected to a sata lead.
Manufacture date on the drive was 10-01-2020 (UK date format)
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

Hi all, did I do it right?

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: KLAJ9OB2954
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 13:51
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

Disc Information
Label: EX_MACHINA
Timestamp: 2017-04-11 12:55:39
Data capacity: 59.75 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 2
Bus encryption flags: 80
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

I'm assuming I did the flash correctly (above). If so, I have these questions, if anyone would be kind enough to answer.
If I put a disk in. I can't play it from MPC-HC and I don't see how to get MakeMkV to play it. It analyzes the disk, and offers to decrypt it to my hard drive, I think...

This will sound strange I'm sure but... How do I get it to play discs?

Can I open my MPC-HC directly and play a disk from that? Do I play it from MakeMkV? Do I have to save the movie to my drive and/or decrypt it and save it to my drive first?

I have found the "Integration" tab in MakeMarkV preferences and ticked both boxes. I still get an error when I open MPC-HC saying I am trying to open from a third-party app. And that I need to start MakeMkV first. This error pops up three times. When I open MakeMkV first, there is no change.

Also, Regarding my Optical Drive's Firmware:
Is there a better MK firmware to use than what I've just flashed with?

Can I make "Unrestricted Read speed" enabled, or should I?

Should I use firmware for WH16NS40, instead of WH14NS40?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

oatmeal769 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:07 pm

No you should use WH16NS60 firmware if you are planning on playback because it fixes the sleep bug
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:10 pm
No you should use WH16NS60 firmware if you are planning on playback because it fixes the sleep bug
Thanks for replying.
Okay, I'll do that. Will that fix the reasons MPC-HC won't play a disk, and the error messages I'm getting?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

You can't play from the disc. Rip to folder or to MKV first.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

oatmeal769 wrote:
I'm assuming I did the flash correctly (above). If so, I have these questions, if anyone would be kind enough to answer.
It appears to be correct, however, only YOU can confirm for sure. So, can you rip/backup/decrypt a UHD BD disc successfully on your end? It's the only way to know for sure.

oatmeal769 wrote:
If I put a disk in. I can't play it from MPC-HC and I don't see how to get MakeMkV to play it. It analyzes the disk, and offers to decrypt it to my hard drive, I think...

This will sound strange I'm sure but... How do I get it to play discs?

Can I open my MPC-HC directly and play a disk from that? Do I play it from MakeMkV? Do I have to save the movie to my drive and/or decrypt it and save it to my drive first?

I have found the "Integration" tab in MakeMarkV preferences and ticked both boxes. I still get an error when I open MPC-HC saying I am trying to open from a third-party app. And that I need to start MakeMkV first. This error pops up three times. When I open MakeMkV first, there is no change.
MakeMKV is NOT a video/media player. It's main/primary function is to create MKV files. Hence, why it's called MakeMKV. What is an MKV file? In short it's a popular container for video data. For the long detailed and drawn out explanation Google (https://www.google.com/) is your friend. Use it. This type of video container format is a fairly popular one and Google will return thousands of step-by-step guides (written and video/Youtube) detailing what it is, how to use it, and even how to use MakeMKV to create such files in detail.

However, there is an integration that can be used with VLC which some within this forum have experimented with. You can start your reading/research here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... akemkv+vlc

If it's something you would like to learn/play with. For decryption on the fly to do what you are describing/expecting here in general with apps like MPC or other--which is supported in apps like AnyDVD for example--then you'll have to use that other decryption software.
oatmeal769 wrote:
Also, Regarding my Optical Drive's Firmware:
Is there a better MK firmware to use than what I've just flashed with?

Can I make "Unrestricted Read speed" enabled, or should I?

That has been discussed aplenty as well. Start here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ock#p85971

and for additional conversations on this topic:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.ph ... ds=Riplock

Forum search function and Google will provide answers to many of these common/frequent questions.
oatmeal769

Post by oatmeal769 »

st4evr wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 pm
It appears to be correct, however, only YOU can confirm for sure. So, can you rip/backup/decrypt a UHD BD disc successfully on your end? It's the only way to know for sure.
Yes, I can, and yes, it does.
st4evr wrote:
Google (https://www.google.com/) is your friend. Use it.
Your condescension is noted, thank you. This, like many forums, has many thousands of pages to sift through, even when using Google if one doesn't know exactly what he's searching for. - For example, "Riplock" and "VLC." I have already spent hours searching, hence my ability to find the correct drive, and flash it without posting here. I didn't know what to search for regarding my other questions, and so I posted here. Apologies for putting you out.
st4evr wrote:
You can start your reading/research here:
So VLC is the preferred player. That's all you needed to say. Your other links are helpful as well. Thank you for saving me endless hours of searching without knowing what I'm searching for.