NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Bluer

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Bluer »

Follow-up; I now see the source of my confusion; I was using this guide to learn MakeMKV while waiting for the drive and discs, but had declined the first few times the program asked to begin the evaluation period. So, weeks later, when actually trying to use the program there was no offer to again start the evaluation period and I assumed the program that I was seeing was fully functional when it was not. It had only offered 'backup', not, 'makeMKV'. I figured it out, reinstalled the program, started the evaluation period, then all of it's functions appeared. Got it!
The resultant MKV file plays great on the TV.
Sorry for the newbie confusion.
d00zah

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by d00zah »

Bluer wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:12 pm
Follow-up; I now see the source of my confusion; I was using this guide to learn MakeMKV while waiting for the drive and discs, but had declined the first few times the program asked to begin the evaluation period. So, weeks later, when actually trying to use the program there was no offer to again start the evaluation period and I assumed the program that I was seeing was fully functional when it was not. It had only offered 'backup', not, 'makeMKV'. I figured it out, reinstalled the program, started the evaluation period, then all of it's functions appeared. Got it!
The resultant MKV file plays great on the TV.
Sorry for the newbie confusion.
You can always use the beta key, although it will expire every ~60 days:

MakeMKV is free while in beta
Bluer

Post by Bluer »

d00zah wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 am
You can always use the beta key, although it will expire every ~60 days:
MakeMKV is free while in beta
Thanks for the reminder d00zah :)
I am so deeply grateful to all who freely give their time, skills, and generosity to those of us with old eyes that greatly appreciate the new hi-res, and checking accounts that don't, that I will certainly do our part and purchase MakeMKV when the end of the evaluation period nears. I'm slow with much to learn yet.
You all are a living gift.
fosterjazz

Post by fosterjazz »

Hello,
I am new to this support forum but I have been a licensed Makemkv user for some time and reading the recommendations from this forum prior to making my purchase.
I purchased and just received my new LG WH16NS40(NS50) 1.02.
Per MakeMKV v1.1.14.7 my drive specs are listed below.

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision 1.02
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 61

LibreDrive Inforation
Drive platform: MT1959
Hardware support: Yes
Firmware support: no
Firmware type: Original (pathed version available)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all Regions:Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

I downloaded both the mk-firmware-pack-20191013.zip and mk-firmware-pack-20191206.zip files.
Copied the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer (Modified).exe into the same sub-folder of both but all attempts thus far have resulted in the Updating Failure #x
I also tried downgrading it from the firmware update on the LG site which appeared to have the capability of downgrading it to 1.01 but once saw the newer version it stopped with a Current FW is equal or higher!!! message.

The forum listed this model drive one the better ones so do I need to try to return it or has there been a firmware that will convert this to a Libra enabled drive?

Thank you
Curt Foster
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

fosterjazz wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 pm
Hello,
I am new to this support forum but I have been a licensed Makemkv user for some time and reading the recommendations from this forum prior to making my purchase.
I purchased and just received my new LG WH16NS40(NS50) 1.02.
Per MakeMKV v1.1.14.7 my drive specs are listed below.

Revision 1.02

LibreDrive Inforation
Hardware support: Yes
Firmware support: no
Firmware type: Original (pathed version available)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all Regions:Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata: Possible (with patched firmware)

I downloaded both the mk-firmware-pack-20191013.zip and mk-firmware-pack-20191206.zip files.
Copied the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer (Modified).exe into the same sub-folder of both but all attempts thus far have resulted in the Updating Failure #x
I also tried downgrading it from the firmware update on the LG site which appeared to have the capability of downgrading it to 1.01 but once saw the newer version it stopped with a Current FW is equal or higher!!! message.

The forum listed this model drive one the better ones so do I need to try to return it or has there been a firmware that will convert this to a Libra enabled drive?

Thank you
Curt Foster
It appears you have a WH16NS60, not a WH16NS40!!!

For your WH16NS60 1.02, please flash WH16NS60 1.02-MK from the latest MK folder (20191206) first. After that, you can flash whatever firmware you like.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
bluemonkey

Post by bluemonkey »

Hello!

Question, i have a WH16NS40, read the procedure, i'm ok with the concept. Need to side grade then move to the final firmware. I just have a problem with the flasher itself, it tries to write a file to "userdirectory"\appdata\local\temp\ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer.exe and it's denied (and the process does not even start). I've disabled my AV just in case (initial launch flagged it as a potential malware, most likely based on assembly language usage). I'm running windows 10.

Anything silly that i missed? or not so silly?

EDIT: figured it out, i had to remove my AV to be able to run the patcher, even deactivating bitdefender would not let me run it. The double crossflash worked perfectly. Big thank you for the work done on this.

Much appreciated

bm
Last edited by bluemonkey on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

fosterjazz wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Revision 1.02

As Marty advised it doesn’t just appear, but looks like you sure do have a WH16NS60 drive instead of a WH16NS40 drive per what MakeMKV is reporting. Carefully check your shipment box and/or the drive sticker itself to validate this, pay attention, and make sure which drive you currently have purchased before attempting to make changes.
BumBum_2906

Post by BumBum_2906 »

Hi :)

So i will get the ASUS BW-16D1HT tomorrow wich probably will have 3.10!

Just so i'am clear...what do i have to do to make it UHD Friendly? :)

Thx :)
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

BumBum_2906 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Just so i'am clear...what do i have to do to make it UHD Friendly? :)

Thx :)
Read. There are pinned posts/guides across the forum that provide answers to these common questions. Take the time to read through them. Start here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
BumBum_2906

Post by BumBum_2906 »

So i downloaded the (Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack

When i get my Asus bw-16d1ht with 3.10 tomorrow i have to open ASUS ODD FW Changer and select the 3.10MK File correct?
joeyfun

Post by joeyfun »

Hello, I just got the following drive and I'm trying to downgrade my firmware to 1.00 It's what I've been reading I should do, if that's wrong, please let me know. I can't find the firmware to the exact model I have (MD-8107S-U3YC-UHD). I read somewhere on here that I should flash it using the BU40N_1.00 firmware. However, I'm only finding the following files in the new firmware pack provided in this thread. I don't know which one to pick. Only the top file listed has the 1.00 in its name.

Folder Location
===================
\Downloads\(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack
DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin

Folder Location
===================
\Downloads\(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack\mk-firmware-pack-20191206\MK\HL-DT-ST
BU40N-FR
BU40N-N
BU40N-FR
BU40N-R-Taiwan
BU40N-U

Device
==================================

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

joeyfun wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:50 am
Hello, I just got the following drive and I'm trying to downgrade my firmware to 1.00 It's what I've been reading I should do, if that's wrong, please let me know. I can't find the firmware to the exact model I have (MD-8107S-U3YC-UHD). I read somewhere on here that I should flash it using the BU40N_1.00 firmware. However, I'm only finding the following files in the new firmware pack provided in this thread. I don't know which one to pick. Only the top file listed has the 1.00 in its name.

Folder Location
===================
\Downloads\(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack
DE_LG_BU40N_1.00.bin

Folder Location
===================
\Downloads\(Modified) ASUS ODD FW Changer (24.08.2019) + UHD Friendly Firmwares + Latest MK Pack\mk-firmware-pack-20191206\MK\HL-DT-ST
BU40N-FR
BU40N-N
BU40N-FR
BU40N-R-Taiwan
BU40N-U

Device
==================================

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Yep, that is the correct firmware.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Rabik

Post by Rabik »

Hi guys,
I use ASUS BW-16D1HT with original fw 3.02 (UHD friendly) drive and DeUHD for making of my UHD backups. I hear during ripping of each disc some weird scrapes (like during loading of disc) in various periods (after a few seconds, 1 minute etc) but the ripping speed does not slow. The backups work OK on my Oppo, no picture distortions, dropouts etc. but I am concerned about it. I clean each disc is before inserting to drive so it is free of dust etc.
All my discs are in pristine condition and my drive is brand new. I also tried to crossflash to older fw 3.01 or 3.10MK and the same result.
It is weird because when I tried to use AnyDVD those weird scrapes are suddenly gone and the drive has normal sound when the speed is increased etc. Any idea please?
Standard Blu-ray discs work perfectly. No weird sounds.

Is such behaviour usual for ASUS BW-16D1HT drives? Hear the attached files.

I have other problems. I get some reading error in ~98% almost before an end of ripping. It is usual about this disc? That error happened only with this disc.
Another problem is with UHD Spider-Man 3. I am almost not able to load the disc. The drive makes very bad noises like corruped and these same sounds are presented during ripping too. But it is only with this disc. Others discs are "fine" and behaves as I described above.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
ASUS BW-16D1HT_during ripping.mp3
(144.49 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
ASUS BW-16D1HT_Spider-Man 3.mp3
(169.39 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Jim777

Post by Jim777 »

Hello everyone, I would love some help with my BP50NB40

Here is the info from MakeMKV:
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIKYVJ9KB0631
Firmware date: 2119-05-03 15:10
Highest AACS version: 66

I have tried to flash both DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD and DE_LG_BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD firmware via the modified ASUS Changer, but have run into Update Error #3 as well as #4.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Jim777 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:43 am
Hello everyone, I would love some help with my BP50NB40

Here is the info from MakeMKV:
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIKYVJ9KB0631
Firmware date: 2119-05-03 15:10
Highest AACS version: 66

I have tried to flash both DE_LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD and DE_LG_BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD firmware via the modified ASUS Changer, but have run into Update Error #3 as well as #4.
Yep, unfortunately, those with firmware 1.02 cannot currently be cross-flashed.

Have you tried flashing the HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.02-NM00700-211811011016 firmware from the latest MK pack?

Please try and let us know.