NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Billycar11

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Billycar11 »

BRDawg wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:31 am
I am trying to flash a brand new ASUS BW-16D1HT using the latest updater listed in the edit of the first post of this thread as well as a couple others I have found. I have used a USB to SATA adapted that was listed as know flashing friendly as well as directly attaching this to a serial port on a desktop. I have tried both DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.01 and DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.

Everytime I try to run the tool, the drive pops open and I get a error message saying "Updating Failure #4". I have tried searching for this error with no luck. Anyone seen this before or know what to try next?
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
read Newer OEM Firmware section
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
BRDawg

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by BRDawg »

Ya, I have already been to that thread and read though some of it and explored some of the links.

The drive came with 3.10 so I was able to load the MK version of 3.10 then was able to load the DE version of 3.02. I have not yet actually tested the drive for ripping yet but at least I was able to flash it twice without getting that error. I thought the MK version was just to enable basic LibreDrive function. But if that version of 3.10 was required to actually unlock downgrading capabilities, I missed that step.

Hopefully the drive will work for me with 4K and MakeMKV when I test this weekend.
maxrotor

Post by maxrotor »

Did you get it to work? I received the same error with this drive and it does not work with 4K disks. IT apears I need to complete another step. Can someone let me know what I need to do? MY drive information is below:

Drive Information
OS device name: H:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KL9K15E2348
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 39

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Your drive does not have the 3.10 mk firmware. It's the OEM 3.10 firmware which is not libredrive compatible. Flash the 3.10 mk firmware.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

maxrotor

Post by maxrotor »

I get this "device doesnot exist error" at the end of this note after successfully flashing with 3.1. What could be causing this error?

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

Disc Information
Label: Crossroads 2013 Disc 2
Timestamp: 2013-10-12 12:37:48
Data capacity: 39.62 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)

Error Message:

MakeMKV v1.15.0 win(x64-release) started
Backing up disc into folder "D:/Movies/STEVIE_WONDER/Crossroads 2013 Disc 2"
Using LibreDrive mode (v05 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'OS error - This device does not exist' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts' at offset '230682624'
Backup failed
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Could be a read error but I'd probably try rebooting the machine and seeing if the error still occurs.
maxrotor

Post by maxrotor »

I rebooting the machine several times and tried different disks. Any other recommendations?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Nope, I'm afraid I don't. It's not likely the drive as it looks to be flashed correctly. Something with MakeMKV and your OS not playing well together but I've no idea what.
Macen

Post by Macen »

Hi guys, I just got a new LG WH14NS40 and planned to fix the firmware for UHD, it's currently at 1.04.

This is the process I'm planning:
use the patching tool - "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" to flash MK firmware - HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.04-NM01201-211901041351.bin.

Should this be enough or should I then downgrade?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Macen wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:28 pm
Hi guys, I just got a new LG WH14NS40 and planned to fix the firmware for UHD, it's currently at 1.04.

This is the process I'm planning:
use the patching tool - "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" to flash MK firmware - HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.04-NM01201-211901041351.bin.

Should this be enough or should I then downgrade?
If you use makemkv flash WH16NS60 1.02mk
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Macen

Post by Macen »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 pm

If you use makemkv flash WH16NS60 1.02mk
Nice, will try it Billycar11. Thanks for the reply!
The_AVB

Post by The_AVB »

I've got an WH14NS40 with V1.00 FW dated 2015/08/18. I know it is UHD friendly and what I have read says that V1.04 needs to be flashed to a lower FW for it to work with UHD discs. Since it is already at V 1.00 I'm not sure that is something I need to do in this case.
I've not had the need to try and rip a UHD disc because until last month I didn't have a 4K TV to play it on. Now I do - so I borrowed a copy of Dark Phoenix in 4K and proceeded to make a backup copy. That worked fine with no delays, stoppages or glitches. I thought I could then open the disccat.dat file in MakeMKV and then rip that way as I have done that for regular BD discs. That didn't work as I get a "failed to open disc" error. Since there is no actual disc I don't know if that means my backup copy is bad or if it is something else. I am using the most current version of MakeMKV 1.15.0.

So my questions are what did I do wrong and how do I fix it and if I have to flash the drive what should it go to?

Thanks
Decibel

Post by Decibel »

I just received my LG BH16NS55 drive today. I had already received my Lantec NexStar DX USB 3 external drive case from Amazon last week and put them together. I put in a standard Bluray disk to test functionality and all went well. Now on to the fun stuff.
I fired up MakeMKV and checked the drive info:

It showed LibraDrive Information as posible with patched firmware with my current firmware version as 1.04

I fired up the ASUS)_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) program and selected the firmware under the BHi6NS55 folder which was:

HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS55-1.04-NM01701-211901041342.BIN

and clicked on Start. The drive ejected and the firmware update started and was completed in approx 45 seconds.

I cycled power to the drive and restarted MakeMKV, and now see under LibreDrive Information Status is now set to enabled and firmware shows as patched and version is still 1.04.

I am now curently ripping my first 4K Ultra HD. Fingers crossed.

Update:

45 minutes later, one successfully ripped 4K bluray
Big thank you and kudos to Billycar11 and his comrade's

Decibel
vojta272

Post by vojta272 »

Hello,

please I need help I just buy ASUS BW-16D1HT, here is link for picture from MakeMKV + Photo of the burner (https://imgur.com/a/9cei5Y5), is it possible to rip 4k and which version should I download (and flash) to rip 4K please, because right now I found a lot of versions of manuals and I am not sure which is the best and best verison for my ASUS burner. Which tutorial is newest what should I do please?

Thank you very much
Assblaster1979

Post by Assblaster1979 »

Wow thank you man for saying the Asus firm ware worked on the drive . I also have the Lg 60 drive . Flashed it you made me so happey now UHD rips he we come man