NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
dp5081

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by dp5081 »

Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: MDCG5LB0421
Firmware date: 2115-04-22 15:17
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

svc ns50

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

I keep getting "Updating Failure #5"
i'm following the guide step by step and keep getting the same error.

please help
Billycar11

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Billycar11 »

dp5081 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Drive Information
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP50NB40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: MDCG5LB0421
Firmware date: 2115-04-22 15:17
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

svc ns50

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

I keep getting "Updating Failure #5"
i'm following the guide step by step and keep getting the same error.

please help
Umm your drive is alread libredrive enabled what are you trying to do?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dp5081

Post by dp5081 »

oooooh, interesting so how come i can't see uhds on it then?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dp5081 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 am
oooooh, interesting so how come i can't see uhds on it then?
LibreDrive does not equal UHD readability.

To make the BP50NB40 UHD capable, you need to cross-flash it to BP60NB10 using the hybrid firmware. (See the first post in this thread).
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dp5081

Post by dp5081 »

So I tried that too. Error #5
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dp5081 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:21 am
So I tried that too. Error #5
You can't go straight to the hybrid firmware. Your drive needs to be on MK firmware first.

You need to flash the drive with BP50NB40 MK firmware, then flash the drive with the hybrid BP60NB10 firmware.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
seanklei10

Post by seanklei10 »

I just tried updating the firmware on my Asus 12D2HT, the drive popped out but then nothing happened and I received the error message with an error #1. Now when I try to load the firmware updater it does not even see the drive. I am no longer able to manually open or close the drive either. How can I recover?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

seanklei10 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:06 pm
I just tried updating the firmware on my Asus 12D2HT, the drive popped out but then nothing happened and I received the error message with an error #1. Now when I try to load the firmware updater it does not even see the drive. I am no longer able to manually open or close the drive either. How can I recover?
You are using the modified flasher from the first post? I think that error #1 is something like "Firmware update not required. Drive is on the latest firmware version." Generally, if you get this error, the drive does not get flashed. Not sure why you can't see the drive anymore. Try power cycling the drive?

Also, I really hope you tried to flash firmware 12D2HT_3.11-MK. This is the only firmware you should use for this drive. I've heard of so many people having issues once/if they have managed to cross-flash it.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what has happened to your drive and am not certain it can be recovered. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

seanklei10 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:06 pm
In addition to what Marty has advised above, how old is this drive?
dutchvc

Post by dutchvc »

I just purchased a LG WH16NS40, firmware 1.04. I tried using this tool to go to 1.02, but the drive pops open and I get error message #4. I have this in an external OWC mercury pro enclosure. Perhaps that's the issue when flasing? Worst case I can open the case, flash, then put it back but looking for advice. Thanks!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

dutchvc wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:27 pm
I just purchased a LG WH16NS40, firmware 1.04. I tried using this tool to go to 1.02, but the drive pops open and I get error message #4. I have this in an external OWC mercury pro enclosure. Perhaps that's the issue when flasing? Worst case I can open the case, flash, then put it back but looking for advice. Thanks!
Flash WH16NS60 1.02 mk
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dutchvc

Post by dutchvc »

where's that one located? I don't see it listed
dutchvc

Post by dutchvc »

NVM I think I found it and that seemed to work!
Imkindanew

Post by Imkindanew »

Hey guys,
i just got a new Asus BW-16D1HT with Firmware version 3.1.

I tried using the "ODD FW changer modified" to get UHD friendly firmware onto it, but i always get "Update Failure #4" .
I did select the 3.10 firmware from the MK folder, but i cant get it to work :-/

MakeMKV reports 3.10 original.

i could get the drive out of my server to look at the bottom if needed, but i think i remember reading dec 2019 or jan 2020 as a production date.

Could it be that late 2019 produced drives cannot be flashed with that? or is it because im running it in an unraid VM ?

I hope you guys can help me; it's quite hard to find UHD friendly drives in europe...