NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 am

FYI,

The flasher & firmware pack link in the original post has been updated with the latest MK firmware pack (20/07/2020).
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

jmm5102
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jmm5102 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:39 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 am
FYI,

The flasher & firmware pack link in the original post has been updated with the latest MK firmware pack (20/07/2020).
Thanks for the tip. I actually was using the most recent versions, as I downloaded the pack on the 24th or 25th. Still no luck with that, but I have hope for the fresh copy of the movie arriving on Thursday.

jmm5102
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jmm5102 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:49 am

The new Forrest Gump 4K disc came in today, and I was able to rip it without any issues. Thanks for the help!

deano
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by deano » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 pm

Thanks the new updated firmware updates worked Great.
Had previously patched my LG WH14NS40 Manufactured Dec 2018 from Firmware 1.03 to 1.02

Got a New LG WH14NS40 Manufactured May 2020 with Firmware 1.04 and was able to patch to 1.05 then I did the Downgrade to 1.02 and it works.

(wanted to get a backup up drive in case my old one failed)

agent4797
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by agent4797 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:54 pm

Hey everyone,

I just bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT which has firmware 3.10 on it. I'm trying to use this tool to flash it to ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin in the folder but I'm getting this error "updating failure #1".

My setup:
Windows 10 using Parallels on MacBook Pro
The ASUS driver is connected to a SATA to USB A cable. I have connected the USB A cable to a USB C so I can connect it to my MacBook.

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Thanks in advance!

Billycar11
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Billycar11 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 pm

agent4797 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:54 pm
Hey everyone,

I just bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT which has firmware 3.10 on it. I'm trying to use this tool to flash it to ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin in the folder but I'm getting this error "updating failure #1".

My setup:
Windows 10 using Parallels on MacBook Pro
The ASUS driver is connected to a SATA to USB A cable. I have connected the USB A cable to a USB C so I can connect it to my MacBook.

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Thanks in advance!
No virtual machines
You can use the new flasher in makemkv on Mac just modify the windows commands to be for mac

agent4797
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by agent4797 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 pm
agent4797 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:54 pm
Hey everyone,

I just bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT which has firmware 3.10 on it. I'm trying to use this tool to flash it to ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin in the folder but I'm getting this error "updating failure #1".

My setup:
Windows 10 using Parallels on MacBook Pro
The ASUS driver is connected to a SATA to USB A cable. I have connected the USB A cable to a USB C so I can connect it to my MacBook.

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Thanks in advance!
No virtual machines
You can use the new flasher in makemkv on Mac just modify the windows commands to be for mac
Thank you, I’ll try that tomorrow. :)
One other question.i saw this post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634 about “ USB enclosures/sata adapters that work with optical drives and flashing” and the SATA cable I bought isn’t on that list; this is the one I bought: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/23 ... skar-svart

Any reason it wouldn’t work? :)

Thanks for your help!

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 am

agent4797 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:52 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 pm
agent4797 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:54 pm
Hey everyone,

I just bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT which has firmware 3.10 on it. I'm trying to use this tool to flash it to ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin in the folder but I'm getting this error "updating failure #1".

My setup:
Windows 10 using Parallels on MacBook Pro
The ASUS driver is connected to a SATA to USB A cable. I have connected the USB A cable to a USB C so I can connect it to my MacBook.

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Thanks in advance!
No virtual machines
You can use the new flasher in makemkv on Mac just modify the windows commands to be for mac
Thank you, I’ll try that tomorrow. :)
One other question.i saw this post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634 about “ USB enclosures/sata adapters that work with optical drives and flashing” and the SATA cable I bought isn’t on that list; this is the one I bought: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/23 ... skar-svart

Any reason it wouldn’t work? :)

Thanks for your help!
A lot of adapters don't pass through the required commands to the drive for flashing. That adapter appears to be only for 2.5" & 3.5" HDD's/SSD's. Generally an adapter for 5.25" optical drives requires AC power.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747

Billycar11
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Billycar11 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:30 am

agent4797 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:52 pm



One other question.i saw this post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634 about “ USB enclosures/sata adapters that work with optical drives and flashing” and the SATA cable I bought isn’t on that list; this is the one I bought: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/23 ... skar-svart

Any reason it wouldn’t work? :)

Thanks for your help!
Yeah sorry that probably won't work needs power for sure. you can try it won't hurt but it's probably not going to work that why I put the list together

agent4797
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by agent4797 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:30 am
agent4797 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:52 pm



One other question.i saw this post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634 about “ USB enclosures/sata adapters that work with optical drives and flashing” and the SATA cable I bought isn’t on that list; this is the one I bought: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/23 ... skar-svart

Any reason it wouldn’t work? :)

Thanks for your help!
Yeah sorry that probably won't work needs power for sure. you can try it won't hurt but it's probably not going to work that why I put the list together
It actually comes with AC power, but you’re right. It didn’t work unfortunately. I’ll try to get my hands on one of those cables you have listed (thanks for the article btw! :) )

agent4797
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by agent4797 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:10 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 am
agent4797 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:52 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 pm

No virtual machines
You can use the new flasher in makemkv on Mac just modify the windows commands to be for mac
Thank you, I’ll try that tomorrow. :)
One other question.i saw this post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634 about “ USB enclosures/sata adapters that work with optical drives and flashing” and the SATA cable I bought isn’t on that list; this is the one I bought: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/23 ... skar-svart

Any reason it wouldn’t work? :)

Thanks for your help!
A lot of adapters don't pass through the required commands to the drive for flashing. That adapter appears to be only for 2.5" & 3.5" HDD's/SSD's. Generally an adapter for 5.25" optical drives requires AC power.
It comes with AC power but still didn’t work. I’ll go with one of those recommended SATA cables and hopefully it will work. Can’t wait to rip my blu rays anymore haha

Webhead2099
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Webhead2099 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:54 pm

I picked up one of the Archgon slim UHD drives with a BU40N inside. It came default with 1.01 loaded. Can I use the ASUS flasher and which FW do I use as I'm unsure as to what region model the drive was manufactured. I've been reading a bit on the subject, but wasn't sure completely of where to start. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Firmware date: 2119-10-16 10:32
Bus encryption flags: 1F

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 am

Webhead2099 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:54 pm
I picked up one of the Archgon slim UHD drives with a BU40N inside. It came default with 1.01 loaded. Can I use the ASUS flasher and which FW do I use as I'm unsure as to what region model the drive was manufactured. I've been reading a bit on the subject, but wasn't sure completely of where to start. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Firmware date: 2119-10-16 10:32
Bus encryption flags: 1F

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Yes, and firmware DE_LG_BU40N_1.00
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD capable drives in AUS & NZ: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18747


MD2020
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MD2020 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:03 pm

I have spent a lot of time reading the forums trying to educate myself before attempting to flash the firmware on my blu-ray drive. I think I have a basic understanding now but since I am a complete noob at this I wanted to ask a few questions. I have an LG Slim Portable (external) blu-ray/dvd writer. Model number BP50NB40, svc code NB50. Made in April 2017. Firmware revision 1.01, drive platform MT1959.

1. Can I uses the Modified Asus flasher?
2. Will the "(hybrid = HBD) firmware for the BP50NB40. Firmware BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD" work for me or is it only for the desktop version?
3. If I understand correctly, before I use the hybrid firmware listed above, I need to first updated with the latest MK firmware pack that matches my model. Is that correct?

Post Reply