NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Post Reply
MartyMcNuts
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 pm

Japio wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:05 pm
Just tried to update my drives.

On my BW-16D1H-U I immediately get "Updating Failure #1."

On my LG BP60NB10 The drive only opens and immediately get "Updating Failure #3."
1. I'm certain that the BW-16D1H-U actually contains a Pioneer drive, (thus not LibreDrive or UHD friendly) and not downgradeable.

2. I don't think the BP60NB10 can be flashed at this point in time. (Please talk to @jonghotti as I think he has one).

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Tntdruid wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am
Getting:

Updating Failure #1

Drive: ASUS-BC-12D2HT
You need to provide some more info.

1. How is your drive connected to PC?
2. How old is your drive?
3. What firmware are you currently on?
4. What firmware did you try to flash?
5. Did you try the most recent modified flasher from the OP in this thread?

Tntdruid
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:08 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Tntdruid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:27 pm
Tntdruid wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am
Getting:

Updating Failure #1

Drive: ASUS-BC-12D2HT
You need to provide some more info.

1. How is your drive connected to PC?
2. How old is your drive?
3. What firmware are you currently on?
4. What firmware did you try to flash?
5. Did you try the most recent modified flasher from the OP in this thread?
1. SATA internal drive
2. looks like 2013
3.
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BC-12D2HT
Revision: 1.00
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2113-06-14 12:00
Bus encryption flags: 1E
4. The one from Mike and this one from this thread
5. I did

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:59 am

Tntdruid wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:27 pm
Tntdruid wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am
Getting:

Updating Failure #1

Drive: ASUS-BC-12D2HT
You need to provide some more info.

1. How is your drive connected to PC?
2. How old is your drive?
3. What firmware are you currently on?
4. What firmware did you try to flash?
5. Did you try the most recent modified flasher from the OP in this thread?
1. SATA internal drive
2. looks like 2013
3.
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BC-12D2HT
Revision: 1.00
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2113-06-14 12:00
Bus encryption flags: 1E
4. The one from Mike and this one from this thread
5. I did
That drive is too old. DO NOT FLASH IT!!!

The UHD friendly drives are all manufactured from October 2015+, thus you are out of luck with that drive. It can get confusing as they kept using the same model numbers, even though they have some differing hardware. The newer version ASUS drives have firmware starting at 3.00 and up.

jerryfudd81
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jerryfudd81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi,

Bought myself a pre-flashed Asus BW-16D1HT off e-bay, came with 3.01 and working fine however I do like to know what I'm dealing with so have been reading the thread.

On page1 what is the 2nd file for 'if you already have the 'DE' enable firmware' - is that if you are re-flashing after already using the first file? ...and what is the significance of 'DE'?

thanks, feel a bit late to the party and trying to catch up.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 pm

jerryfudd81 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:50 pm
Hi,

Bought myself a pre-flashed Asus BW-16D1HT off e-bay, came with 3.01 and working fine however I do like to know what I'm dealing with so have been reading the thread.

On page1 what is the 2nd file for 'if you already have the 'DE' enable firmware' - is that if you are re-flashing after already using the first file? ...and what is the significance of 'DE'?

thanks, feel a bit late to the party and trying to catch up.
The first link is for the modified flasher and firmware. This is for people that have not previously downloaded the DE (downgrade enabled) firmware.
The second link is for just the modified flasher. This is for people who have already downloaded the DE firmware.

Newer drives generally come with unfriendly firmware installed, that disables downgrading, which basically stops us from replacing it with older firmware. Thanks to Mike, we can change just one byte in the older firmware, to re-enable downgrading, which then allows the newer firmware to be replaced with the older firmware version. The firmware that has had this byte changed is what is called "Downgrade Enabled" firmware.


Hope that clears it up for you.

Cheers!

SamuriHL
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by SamuriHL » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 pm

One small caveat to that excellent summary is that for this drive, the 3.10 official firmware prevents so-called DE firmware to be flashed. The work around if you end up with a BW-16D1HT with official 3.10 on it is to flash Mike's MK 3.10 which removes the new downgrade restriction and then you can either leave it there (as it's currently the best firmware for this drive) or you can then use a DE firmware to downgrade to an older version. Again, this only applies to official 3.10 for the BW-16d1HT.

jerryfudd81
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jerryfudd81 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks both, its clear a lot of work has gone into this and is very much appreciated - I was dreading going back to optical media when looking at 4K.

I know the general consensus seems to be 'if it aint broke' but is there any benefit to me upgrading the firmware to 3.02 or MK 3.10 (...from the 3.01 I'm running)? I've already run into the sleep bug which doesn't bother me as I only use the drive for occasional ripping - nothing else at all.

So to upgrade to MK 3.10 id just use the flasher 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe' (prevously 'BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe') tool to apply the MK 3.10 firmware?

or for 3.02 use the 'ASUS ODD FW 3.02 Updater for BW-16D1HT (Patched).exe' (though could I not just directly apply 'DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin' with the flasher?)

thanks again for all this information.

(btw does every post have to be moderator approved or is it just until you reach a certain post count or something???)

mathewbeall
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:00 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by mathewbeall » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:07 am

Quick question - I have the ASUS 161DHT drive, and it came with 3.03 - I got the latest firmware updater - and attached it to a win10 machine via SATA - and I am getting the error occured during getting handle of the device : error 5

Any ideas?

AnyDVD and the device manager see it just fine, and it's not hooked up via USB.

Thanks!

Matt

SamuriHL
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:14 am

jerryfudd81 wrote:Thanks both, its clear a lot of work has gone into this and is very much appreciated - I was dreading going back to optical media when looking at 4K.

I know the general consensus seems to be 'if it aint broke' but is there any benefit to me upgrading the firmware to 3.02 or MK 3.10 (...from the 3.01 I'm running)? I've already run into the sleep bug which doesn't bother me as I only use the drive for occasional ripping - nothing else at all.

So to upgrade to MK 3.10 id just use the flasher 'ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe' (prevously 'BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe') tool to apply the MK 3.10 firmware?

or for 3.02 use the 'ASUS ODD FW 3.02 Updater for BW-16D1HT (Patched).exe' (though could I not just directly apply 'DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin' with the flasher?)

thanks again for all this information.

(btw does every post have to be moderator approved or is it just until you reach a certain post count or something???)
Some of us have seen more stable reading of triple layer discs with mk 3.10. You can always go back to 3.01 or 3.02 if you decide to try mk 3.10 and don't like it. But yes that's how you would flash it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


MartyMcNuts
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:34 am

mathewbeall wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:07 am
Quick question - I have the ASUS 161DHT drive, and it came with 3.03 - I got the latest firmware updater - and attached it to a win10 machine via SATA - and I am getting the error occured during getting handle of the device : error 5

Any ideas?

AnyDVD and the device manager see it just fine, and it's not hooked up via USB.

Thanks!

Matt
Weird.. I haven't heard of anyone getting that error when directly connected to SATA port on motherboard, unless they have an old drive. Just to make sure, how old is your drive? If it is newer than October 2015 can you give the LG flasher a try. (Link below..) Just unzip it in the same folder as the ASUS flasher + firmware.
BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 134 times
Let us know how you go.

jerryfudd81
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jerryfudd81 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 am

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:14 am
Some of us have seen more stable reading of triple layer discs with mk 3.10. You can always go back to 3.01 or 3.02 if you decide to try mk 3.10 and don't like it. But yes that's how you would flash it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
thanks - I wanted to give the flash a go (just to know I could) and hate messing with something I rely on so just bought myself another BW-16D1H.... off the shelf this time and as cheap as I could find. From the looks of it Asus will most likely only make it harder so a spare will be nice.

thanks again for everyones help

Dave77
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: UK

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by Dave77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 pm
The first link is for the modified flasher and firmware. This is for people that have not previously downloaded the DE (downgrade enabled) firmware.
The second link is for just the modified flasher. This is for people who have already downloaded the DE firmware.

Newer drives generally come with unfriendly firmware installed, that disables downgrading, which basically stops us from replacing it with older firmware. Thanks to Mike, we can change just one byte in the older firmware, to re-enable downgrading, which then allows the newer firmware to be replaced with the older firmware version. The firmware that has had this byte changed is what is called "Downgrade Enabled" firmware.
I've flashed my LG WH16NS60 1.01 with the 1.01 MK firmware and it seemed to work. Should I have flashed a DE firmware on it first?

jerryfudd81
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jerryfudd81 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Dave77 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 pm
The first link is for the modified flasher and firmware. This is for people that have not previously downloaded the DE (downgrade enabled) firmware.
The second link is for just the modified flasher. This is for people who have already downloaded the DE firmware.

Newer drives generally come with unfriendly firmware installed, that disables downgrading, which basically stops us from replacing it with older firmware. Thanks to Mike, we can change just one byte in the older firmware, to re-enable downgrading, which then allows the newer firmware to be replaced with the older firmware version. The firmware that has had this byte changed is what is called "Downgrade Enabled" firmware.
I've flashed my LG WH16NS60 1.01 with the 1.01 MK firmware and it seemed to work. Should I have flashed a DE firmware on it first?
as I understand it the DE - downgrade enabled firmware was just to aid going backwards so if you are there and working then its all good but I'm sure someone who knows more will also reply :)

SamuriHL
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by SamuriHL » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Yea, if you're on MK 1.01 there's no need to use a DE. The DE firmware were released before the MK firmware were available. The MK firmware allow you to use the latest firmware for your drive (for the most part assuming there's an MK version for it) which in some cases provide useful fixes. But regardless of whether you choose a DE firmware to downgrade or an MK firmware to potentially use the latest with LibreDrive functionality restored, as long as it's supported by LibreDrive you're good to go and no need to change it.

Post Reply