ASUS BW-16D1HT problems with triple layer BD-100 discs...

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Esch30

ASUS BW-16D1HT problems with triple layer BD-100 discs...

Post by Esch30 »

Before I begin, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum as I was able to purchase, install, and downgrade a brand new ASUS BW-16D1HT drive very easily. Marty's recent firmware updater made it particularly easy to flash the drive to 3.02. I successfully ripped most of my small 4K collection without issue.

However, after reading many posts on this forum, I was concerned before I attempted to rip Saving Private Ryan with my ASUS drive. I read accounts of others having problems with BD-100 discs using this drive. Sure enough, the rip failed just over halfway through the process. Are triple layer discs a known problem with the ASUS drive?

If so, are any of the LG drives known to perform better with these discs? I'd hate to never be able to rip any BD-100 discs when another drive out there can do the job.

Thanks again for all the knowledge shared on this forum.
aerandir92

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT problems with triple layer BD-100 discs...

Post by aerandir92 »

I have the same drive, but with 3.01. Had no problem ripping Saving Private Ryan
Esch30

Post by Esch30 »

^ Good to know. I suppose falling back to 3.01 is always an option should I run into any real problems.

Tonight I decided to give it another shot. I wiped down the disc despite the fact it was pristine. This time it successfully ripped the movie without a problem. :shrugs: I guess I'll stick with 3.02 for the time being.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The ASUS can be a little picky when it comes to media. I find it's almost always necessary to use a microfiber cloth even on "brand new discs" because they put some kind of film on them that this drive doesn't particularly like. Once you clean it, I've never had one fail to rip with 3.02.
Esch30

Post by Esch30 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:29 pm
The ASUS can be a little picky when it comes to media. I find it's almost always necessary to use a microfiber cloth even on "brand new discs" because they put some kind of film on them that this drive doesn't particularly like. Once you clean it, I've never had one fail to rip with 3.02.
Awesome, thanks for that tip. I'll do the same from now on to try to prevent ripping things twice.