UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let you all know that there is another choice when it comes to UHD drives. I have purchased an Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (probably the last one in Australia! as now the website I bought it from shows "No Longer Available. End of Life")

PS: Not that it really matters but mine does not have "UHD" on the bezel. (Even though the website pictures show it!)

Here's a couple of photo's of mine. It is a nice brushed aluminum case which contains a BU40N drive.
Attachments
Archgon MD-8107-U3-UHD (pic-2).jpg
Archgon MD-8107-U3-UHD (pic-2).jpg (718.44 KiB) Viewed 88940 times
Archgon MD-8107-U3-UHD (pic-1).jpg
Archgon MD-8107-U3-UHD (pic-1).jpg (741.72 KiB) Viewed 88940 times
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Also, Mine came with firmware 1.00 out of the box. Here's a pic from MakeMKV.
Attachments
Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (MakeMKV).jpg
Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (MakeMKV).jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 88938 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
PRAGMA

Re: UHD (Official) Friendly Drive - Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD (Powered by LG BU40N)

Post by PRAGMA »

Mine is MD-8107S-U3YC-UHDB
But "Package Contents" is the same "MD-8107S-U3-UHD", the YC and B seem to mean USB Type C Y Cable and B maybe USB Type B or BluRay.
Mine is on v1.01 but im unsure how to decrypt using this drive as makemkv is giving me errors:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.14.3 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=B58DD4A112EE)
<from here tons of SCI Errors>
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\PRAGMA/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone_21AB.tgz
LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Failed to open disc
Any idea?
dan.brown

Post by dan.brown »

I have the Archgon MD-8170S UHD with the BU40N drive and have successfully flashed firmware to 1.00 from 1.01, however Makemkv will still show this error while trying to read a 4K disc:

"Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command..."

along with:

"Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive."

It's a brand new drive, just received today. I'm running Windows 10 and the AACS version of the disc was less than the drives highest version.

I am running Makemkv 1.14.3.

I've tested 2 separate 4K UHD movies, both with same result.

If I'm missing anything else, please let me know.

Thanks for any help in advance.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dan.brown wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:37 pm
I have the Archgon MD-8170S UHD with the BU40N drive and have successfully flashed firmware to 1.00 from 1.01, however Makemkv will still show this error while trying to read a 4K disc:

"Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command..."

along with:

"Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive."

It's a brand new drive, just received today. I'm running Windows 10 and the AACS version of the disc was less than the drives highest version.

I am running Makemkv 1.14.3.

I've tested 2 separate 4K UHD movies, both with same result.

If I'm missing anything else, please let me know.

Thanks for any help in advance.
The error you are getting is advising that the Volume Key is not present. Please make sure you have allowed MakeMKV to connect to server in the settings. This is needed so MakeMKV can download the latest UHD key file.

You should then be good to go!
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Hi Marty,

This is beautiful drive, I have ten of these models coming in next week. I sent mike the details couple of weeks ago. Please find attached if full PDF for the MD-8107-(4kUHD)-E-20180424-S03.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lYdf_u ... sp=sharing

Kind Regards

Asmcom

Will PM you Marty
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
martian

Post by martian »

Hi,

I've got the same issue.

Just to be perfectly clear, you meant this option?
makemkv_connect_webserver.png
makemkv_connect_webserver.png (104.27 KiB) Viewed 88130 times

Drive
Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: 
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21   <Looks strange>
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 66

MakeMKV v1.14.3 linux(x64-release) started
LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=B58DD4A112EE)
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..03F to device 'SG:dev_21:4'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SG:dev_21:4'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as 
.../.MakeMKV/MKB20_v60_The_Martian_13B3.tgz
LibreDrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted.
Failed to open disc
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

martian wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:45 am
Hi,

I've got the same issue.

Just to be perfectly clear, you meant this option?

makemkv_connect_webserver.png

Drive
Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: 
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21   <Looks strange>
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 66

MakeMKV v1.14.3 linux(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..03F to device 'SG:dev_21:4'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SG:dev_21:4'
Saved AACS dump file as 
.../.MakeMKV/MKB20_v60_The_Martian_13B3.tgz
Failed to open disc
Yes. Just make sure that box is ticked. When MakeMKV then starts a disc back-up, it will download the latest volume keys.
martian

Post by martian »

Sorry,

seems not to work here.

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
I guess I need to downgrade to 1.00. Is that possible?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

martian wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 am
Sorry,

seems not to work here.

LibreDrive Information
Yes
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

martian wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 am
Sorry,

seems not to work here.

LibreDrive Information
Yes. Sorry, I didn't notice your drive was on 1.01.

Grab the modified ASUS flasher from https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18933 and flash drive with BU40N 1.00 firmware.

Should be good to go then!!
martian

Post by martian »

Done that, and worked.
But either after Kernel update or when I connected the drive to the motherboard.

Thanks.
kingston12

Post by kingston12 »

I just wanted to leave a quick note of thanks on this thread foe the original recommendation.

This drive is excellent.

Since I moved to UHD, I have been using a bulky LG BE16NU50 drive. Thaty has been fine, but this one has quite a lot of advantages:

1. Much smaller.
2. Bus powered, so totally portable.
3. Much faster. It reaches a read speed of 6x within about 5 minutes and then locks there for the rest of rip. The old drive tended to stick around 4x, but wasn't consistent.
4. More reliable. This has ripped 100% of the Blu-rays and all but one of the UHDs I have thrown at it. The old drive has failed with quite a few UHDs that this one went on to rip.

A couple of disadvantages

1. The one UHD that the new drive failed to rip worked fine in the old drive, so I'll probably keep both.
2. It is quite noisy compared to the old drive, but I'll gladly live with that for all of the advantages.
aan3kk

Post by aan3kk »

I own the Archgon MD-8107S-U3+UJ272(K) (non UHD drive) for two years now and hadn't a single problem. Ok it only was able to read Blu-ray's at 2.0X speed but that's the drives fault, not the OEM (Archgon). I wanted to be future proof and looked for a good drive, ideally in the same form factor. I knew about Archgon having a newer model but wasn't sure if it's good. I then found various information (DeUHD, DVDFab, MakeMKV) and finally noticed Archgon is using the BU40N which is also listed everywhere else.

I bought the Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD, flashed it and everything is much better now. It reads all UHDs I threw at it (only three but hey, still a 100% success rate :) ) and more importantly it isn't stuck at 2.0X like my previous model but maxes out at 6.0X which is the drives maximum speed for BDs. My drive came with the latest firmware (1.01) and is the BU40N-R (Taiwan variant). Interestingly it didn't had any DVD-Region set.

Another nice thing is that the SATA/USB enclosure from Archgon is "flashable" so you don't need to disassemble the enclosure and connect the drive directly through SATA.

On Amazon Germany there is one shop that still has a huge stock:
14 of Drive + USB-A for 137,98 €,
1 of Drive + USB-A + Case for 142,99 €,
19 of Drive + USB-A + USB-C for 142,99 €,
>20 of Drive + USB-A + USB-C + Case for 148,99 €.

The drive and enclosure is always the same, just the accessories differ.
Un-carolo

Post by Un-carolo »

Hi,
I have a Archgon MD-8102S-U3-BDRW since a week. I try to read blu ray disc UHD with makekv but without success, after +/- 15 sec I have the message 'no disc' (that's the same problem with windows, Ubuntu on a pc and Ubuntu on a notebook. Here are the infos of the drive :

Informations lecteur
Nom du lecteur SE : E:
Fabricant : HL-DT-ST
Produit : BD-RE BU40N
Révision : U100
Numéro de série : MZUJ3TJ0802
Date micrologiciel : 2118-10-23 11:29
Marqueurs d'encryptage bus : 1F
Version AACS la plus haute : 63
LibreDrive Information
Aucun disque (no disc).

My request is perhaps at the wrong place.
I searched in the forum but there is so much informations that I don't know where to look.
The revision has a strange name in comparison with what I found.
Can somebody help me ?