Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
atp-flo

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Post by atp-flo »

Hi guys, I just created an account to ask. I was about to order a drive from USA to Europe "Pioneer BDR-S13UBK" and to flash it myself but then I saw a post that it is not possible to flash them as 'amateur' user? So what is the current recommendation? I just want an UHD-BD drive that could do everything and is not limited by firmware. Cost don't really matter and I don't care if it is internal or external. What should I buy? I have advanced knowledge in Linux and Windows. If there is a way to flash any current sold drive without fancy professional developer hardware I'd like to know which one I should order.

Thanks!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Europe? You could buy a pre-flashed/tested drive from asmcom, or one of the other vendors (by location) lurking hereabouts.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In addition to the recommendation for Asmcom, in Europe you can also buy a Verbatim 43888, which has a Pioneer UD04 inside it; it should be fully enabled right out of the box.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30533
glc650

Post by glc650 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:58 pm
In addition to the recommendation for Asmcom, in Europe you can also buy a Verbatim 43888, which has a Pioneer UD04 inside it; it should be fully enabled right out of the box.

Is there a US version like this?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

glc650 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:59 am
dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:58 pm

Is there a US version like this?
No
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
GarbDev

Post by GarbDev »

Thanks for the guide worked flawlessly with a BP60NB10.

The encoding part is the tricky part, but searching around this forum the information was present.
ELLEGARDEN777

Post by ELLEGARDEN777 »

Hello guys, I am writing to you because I need your help, wisdom and experience, I bought an external Blu ray reader from the BUFALLO BRUHD-PU3-BK brand. I told you that the device was working well, but suddenly it started reading discs discontinuously, when In the end, the LED stays red and the unit icon no longer appears on my PC. I have tried to solve it in every possible way but I have not been successful. I don't know if the device broke due to hardware failure or maybe it was something. with internal software files, I would greatly appreciate your help to solve this problem T_T

dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

What happens if you unplug your drive, let it power down, wait for a couple minutes, then plug it back in?
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

ELLEGARDEN777 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:17 am
I have tried to solve it in every possible way but I have not been successful. I don't know if the device broke due to hardware failure or maybe it was something.
Wild guess, this may be worth a shot. Disconnect the drive from USB, clear Not Connected USB devices using Nirsoft USBDeview (little portable app - no install), then reboot and reconnect the drive, see if that may help. You have to run USBDeview with admin rights (right-click USBDeview.exe and Run as administrator), then right click and "Uninstall Selected Device" on Not Connected USB devices. Not Connected USB Devices will be listed at the bottom of the shown USB history.

Nirsoft USBDeview: (Scroll right down for download links)

Code: Select all

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
Hyperion_GB

Can I flash my BluRay Drive?

Post by Hyperion_GB »

Hello,

I have just been looking around and noticed that some BluRay drives are capable of being flashed to support 4K Ultra HD Disks. However, I am unsure if mine is compatible and if it is worth flashing or just buying a new drive that supports 4K disks. I am currently only using BluRay disks. However, if I can flash it would save me going out of my way to purchase a new drive.

Information that shows up in MakeMKV -

Drive Information:
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-TD05
Revision: 3.00
Firmware Date: 2012-11-14
Bus Encryption flags: 1B
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information:
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8211
Firmware version: ID74

If you have any insight and are able to assist me that would be great. I do not have high hopes of this working. However, it would be awesome if it did.

Thank you in advance!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That drive was built over three years before the specification for UHD existed, so it is "highly doubtful" it could be modified.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:52 am
That drive was built over three years before the specification for UHD existed, so it is "highly doubtful" it could be modified.
No. Not able to be flashed for UHDs.
Micky12

Post by Micky12 »

Hi

I can prove this.
Fully working.

This retail is sold as a drive with the cable, adapter, cable, a 25GB BD-R and with burning sw.
Bought in in Germany in a store today.

Verbatim 43888, source as displayed: BD-Re PIONEER BD-RW BDR-UD04 with FW 1,14
lordbatwing

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023 - Confirming Steps for BRUHD-PU3-BK

Post by lordbatwing »

Hello!

I've been reading through the forums, and I purchased a drive per the guide.

I've drafted a plan for flashing my Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK. I would appreciate any corrections or validation before proceeding, particularly regarding the SDFtool values referenced at the bottom of the post (boot loader and firmware version). I've found the forums extremely helpful overall and really appreciate those who've contributed. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Plan:
1. Install MakeMKV and identify drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: BU14
Serial number: MO2N5DA3110
Firmware date: 2121-06-21 13:30
Bus encryption flags: 1F
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
2. Download and extract SDFtool Flasher executable, updating for 4K screen per thread.
3. Download and extract firmware files per SDFtool Flasher thread.
4. Configure SDFtool Flasher with the following settings:
- Drive: `{path}: BUFFALO_Optical_Drive_BU14...`
- Drive metadata: MT1959 Platform ✔ | Encrypted Firmware ✔ | Include boot loader (?)
- Firmware: TBD (?)

(?) Seeking Clarity:
* I am unsure whether to include the boot loader per the SDFtool Flasher - UPDATE - 21/12/2021]
The latest version of the SDFtool Flasher has a checkbox option to flash the boot loader with the main firmware to the drive. This is useful for the newer BP50NB40 with SVC: NB52. It's also possible that other newer models may require this option later on. We will all work it out together as we go!!
** I am unsure which firmware to choose based on Re: SDFtool Flasher and Re: BRUHD-PU3-PK BU12 to BU10?
BU40N 1.03-MK is the firmware to flash to first. If you want to flash another after that, such as BU40N 1.00 (for more software compatibility) you can.
1. HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-BU12-OM01001-211902230922.bin
2. DE_Buffalo_BRUHD-PU3_BU10 OR DE_LG_BU40N_1.00
MartyMcNuts

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023 - Confirming Steps for BRUHD-PU3-BK

Post by MartyMcNuts »

lordbatwing wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:21 pm
Hello!

I've been reading through the forums, and I purchased a drive per the guide.

I've drafted a plan for flashing my Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK. I would appreciate any corrections or validation before proceeding, particularly regarding the SDFtool values referenced at the bottom of the post (boot loader and firmware version). I've found the forums extremely helpful overall and really appreciate those who've contributed. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Plan:
1. Install MakeMKV and identify drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: BUFFALO
Product: Optical Drive
Revision: BU14
Serial number: MO2N5DA3110
Firmware date: 2121-06-21 13:30
Bus encryption flags: 1F
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
2. Download and extract SDFtool Flasher executable, updating for 4K screen per thread.
3. Download and extract firmware files per SDFtool Flasher thread.
4. Configure SDFtool Flasher with the following settings:
- Drive: `{path}: BUFFALO_Optical_Drive_BU14...`
- Drive metadata: MT1959 Platform ✔ | Encrypted Firmware ✔ | Include boot loader (?)
- Firmware: TBD (?)

(?) Seeking Clarity:
* I am unsure whether to include the boot loader per the SDFtool Flasher - UPDATE - 21/12/2021]
The latest version of the SDFtool Flasher has a checkbox option to flash the boot loader with the main firmware to the drive. This is useful for the newer BP50NB40 with SVC: NB52. It's also possible that other newer models may require this option later on. We will all work it out together as we go!!
** I am unsure which firmware to choose based on Re: SDFtool Flasher and Re: BRUHD-PU3-PK BU12 to BU10?
BU40N 1.03-MK is the firmware to flash to first. If you want to flash another after that, such as BU40N 1.00 (for more software compatibility) you can.
1. HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-BU12-OM01001-211902230922.bin
2. DE_Buffalo_BRUHD-PU3_BU10 OR DE_LG_BU40N_1.00
There's really no need to ever include the boot loader unless you've royally screwed up a flash.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com