MartyMcNuts

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2019

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Moebius01 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:15 pm
Yeah flash it to WH16NS60 1.02 mk if you use makemkv
Ok, I reeeeaaaallllyyy didn't want my first post on this forum to be an "I'm confused" post, but the more I've read through this and the other threads, I've managed to get myself confused. Long story short, building a new box (current one coming up on 7 years old), and as I've been in the process of ripping my entire collection to a Synology NAS (using MakeMKV), I decided I'd try to grab a UHD Friendly drive and see if I couldn't finally get to ripping my small-but-growing UHD collection as well. With that in mind, I snagged a new LG WH14NS40. Mfr Dec 2019, SVC code is NS50, and ROM ver 1.04.

Where I've managed to get myself confused is it seems there are different downgrade/firmware/crossflashers and multiple firmware versions and methods. In the first post, it notes about the LG 1.04+ firmware having downgrade checks, so you have to cross flash before.
LG 1.04+ BU40N 1.03 Asus 3.10+ and similar
The newer OEM firmwares cannot be flashed easily due to the additional downgrade checks. If your drive has one of these firmwares, and there is no MK version of the same or higher number, you will have to sidegrade to Asus 3.10MKor LG 1.04MK. Then flash to your desired firmware if you don't want that one.
So as I have a 1.04 firmware, I'm assuming this applies. Where I'm a bit confused is "if your drive has one of these and there is no MK version of the same or higher, you will have to sidegrade to Asus 3.10MK or LG 1.04MK." However, none of the downloads I have found so far seem to have an LG 1.04 MK, or at least I'm not seeing the right file name. I'm sure I'm just missing it, but if someone could point me to which thread it's in and the file name, I'd appreciate it.

The second piece is the flashers themselves. We have 4 links in the first post, and I'm having a little trouble discerning which would apply to the LG drive I have, and if I need 2 executables with 1 to sidegrade to 1.04Mk and a second to downgrade to WH16NS60 1.02 mk. I'll only be using the drive for ripping, and VERY occasionally burning a disc or playing one to verify it works or find the right MPL, no other player or ripping software is really in play, so it seems this would be the best firmware option. My only confusion is which method and files I need to take the LG I have to it.
Both the ASUS and LG flashers will work. What you have read is accurate, however, there is now a WH14NS40_NS50 1.04-MK available. If you download the ASUS flasher and firmware pack from the first post in thread https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18933 you will find the 1.04-MK firmware in the MK folder.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
norwegianbite

Post by norwegianbite »

Hey I have gotten the lg bu40n but having troubles find a case for it here in Norway. I have found this one Delock External Enclosure for Ultra Slim SATA Drives 9.5 mm > USB Type-C™ female. how can I find out if this works oki with the drive and supports flashing ? or should I try and order the Vantec USB 3.0 Slim SATA Optical Drive Enclosure (NST-510S3-BK) from the USA ?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

norwegianbite wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:11 am
Hey I have gotten the lg bu40n but having troubles find a case for it here in Norway. I have found this one Delock External Enclosure for Ultra Slim SATA Drives 9.5 mm > USB Type-C™ female. how can I find out if this works oki with the drive and supports flashing ? or should I try and order the Vantec USB 3.0 Slim SATA Optical Drive Enclosure (NST-510S3-BK) from the USA ?
Yes do the second thing!!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
vojta272

Post by vojta272 »

Hello,

please I need help I just buy ASUS BW-16D1HT, here is link for picture from MakeMKV + Photo of the burner (https://imgur.com/a/9cei5Y5), is it possible to rip 4k and which version should I download (and flash) to rip 4K please, because right now I found a lot of versions of manuals and I am not sure which is the best and best verison for my ASUS burner. Which tutorial is newest what should I do please?

Thank you very much
Fitzchiv

Post by Fitzchiv »

jonghotti wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm
norwegianbite wrote:
Kind of in the same boat here in the UK, and ordering from the US in the current climate probably isn't going to happen fast. I've set this is a bit of project whilst isolating, so has anyone come across any decent alternatives to the Vantec NST-510S3-BK in Europe? Alternatively, are there any indicators of what to look out for in the various 9.5mm caddies/cables available that indicate suitability for flashing?
Moebius01

Post by Moebius01 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:33 pm
Both the ASUS and LG flashers will work. What you have read is accurate, however, there is now a WH14NS40_NS50 1.04-MK available. If you download the ASUS flasher and firmware pack from the first post in thread https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18933 you will find the 1.04-MK firmware in the MK folder.
So finally got a chance to build the new PC, which even posted successfully on the first boot, then got to spend the next 12 days in bed sick, because irony. Finally had a chance to get up this morning, flash the firmware udpates, and test a 4k rip (Endgame). Everything went smooth as glass. The drive flashed both to the 1.04 MK and 16SN60 1.2 MK without a hitch, and the disc ripped on first pass. Just shy of 40 minutes total, which base on what I've read in this thread seems pretty good.

To that end, a hearty THANK YOU to Marty and all the others who have been helping out in this thread!!!
SnowDog

Post by SnowDog »

I've posted in another topic on this, but can I just recommend the drives 'asmcom' (a user on here) is selling on eBay?

I just bought one, after a mistake buying one on Amazon (didn't work, returned and refunded), and the pre-flashed Vantecs he is selling work faultlessly out of the box.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

SnowDog wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:54 pm
I've posted in another topic on this, but can I just recommend the drives 'asmcom' (a user on here) is selling on eBay?

I just bought one, after a mistake buying one on Amazon (didn't work, returned and refunded), and the pre-flashed Vantecs he is selling work faultlessly out of the box.
Yes, and you can post and vouch for him in his topic/thread here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

There is a place for those kinds of posts.
SnowDog

Post by SnowDog »

Mmmm. I think I've said enough.

Managed to upset one of the locals already. And I wonder why I don't use forums anymore.

Bye bye.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Hello Snowdog,

Glad to hear that you are happy. Don't let this comment put you off MakeMKV. This is a brilliant forum with loads of information.

I would like to make you very welcome as a new member and yes sometimes people can make comments without saying anything nice.

Please be assured this is a very good forum with some very helpful people.

I have sent you all my details and please contact me anytime as I am always here to help my customers with continued support.

I hope you and your family stay safe with this terrible coronavirus.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

norwegianbite wrote:
PM me plenty of these cases.

Asmcom

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=19387
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Fitzchiv wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:34 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm
norwegianbite wrote:
Kind of in the same boat here in the UK, and ordering from the US in the current climate probably isn't going to happen fast. I've set this is a bit of project whilst isolating, so has anyone come across any decent alternatives to the Vantec NST-510S3-BK in Europe? Alternatively, are there any indicators of what to look out for in the various 9.5mm caddies/cables available that indicate suitability for flashing?
Plenty of stock of Vantec Cases.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=19387
Mikesp2

Post by Mikesp2 »

Locutos wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:56 am
I can recommend the external drive https://www.amazon.de/techPulse120-Supe ... 158&sr=8-4 .Works fine.... :mrgreen:
I bought this drive after seeing it here, however I am unable to make this drive work.
Would you be so kind and help me out.
Thanks!
Mikesp2

Post by Mikesp2 »

asmcom wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:25 am
Hi Marty

It is a Hitachi LG-BU40N-N inside. Great design. PM me if you want more info.

Asmcom
Would anybody be so kind to help me out with this drive. I, bought it after seeing it here but i am unable to make it work.
Thanks a loit!
sadalius

Post by sadalius »

Hello and thank you to all that help out here. I'm new here and this looks like a great place to learn about these drives and such. I have an LG BP50NB40 on the way. I'm trying to wrap my head around the flashing procedure though. I know I have to use the Marty's modified Asus flasher and that there is a firmware pack available just for that model. I have downloaded both and the MK firmware pack as well. Do I need to flash the MK bp50nb40 1.02 first and then flash the HBD bp50nb40 1.01 and then finally take it to HDB bp60nb10? If not what would be the correct procedure to obtain both a libredrive and UHD friendly drive? My apologies if this has already been asked and answered, I've been reading every chance I get and can only find bits and pieces scattered everywhere. I appreciate the time and effort it takes to take care of a site like this and to maintain the guts of everything else to make it work.