External Enclosure UK

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Post Reply
Hopest
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:11 am

External Enclosure UK

Post by Hopest » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 am

Hi,

Just ordered a Asus BW-16D1HT and looking for an external enclosure. Live in the UK and for some reason unless I'm being daft can't find a decent choice?

Most people are referring to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vantec-externa ... B01MRUN0HQ but not available anymore.

Any advice from people already done this?

Many Thanks in advance,

Tom

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: External Enclosure UK

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:41 pm

Hopest wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 am
Hi,

Just ordered a Asus BW-16D1HT and looking for an external enclosure. Live in the UK and for some reason unless I'm being daft can't find a decent choice?

Most people are referring to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vantec-externa ... B01MRUN0HQ but not available anymore.

Any advice from people already done this?

Many Thanks in advance,

Tom
Contact user "asmcom". He may be able to help you out!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

asmcom
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: External Enclosure UK

Post by asmcom » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:42 pm

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=19387

PM me and I should be able to help you out?

Asmcom

gerudosun
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:39 am

Re: External Enclosure UK

Post by gerudosun » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 am

For anyone else looking for something different than the Vantec I just got my first UHD friendly drive and put it in a Mercury Pro from OWC. I was hesitant but ended really liking this enclosure its very solid and looks great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWC-Mercury-Ex ... 282&sr=8-1

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: External Enclosure UK

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:08 am

There is also the RaidSonic ICY BOX IB-550StU3S

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RaidSonic-I ... 1438.l2649
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

GazzaC
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Re: External Enclosure UK

Post by GazzaC » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am

gerudosun wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 am
For anyone else looking for something different than the Vantec I just got my first UHD friendly drive and put it in a Mercury Pro from OWC. I was hesitant but ended really liking this enclosure its very solid and looks great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWC-Mercury-Ex ... 282&sr=8-1
I'm between PC's at the moment (rebuilding) and so using my laptop. My excellent UHD friendly Asus 16D1HT (Firmware 3.01) which is normally connected directly via SATA is currently sitting in a box. Am I right in thinking as its already UHD friendly that the USB connection, if I install to an enclosure such as this, works exactly as a SATA connection does, in the sense that I've no 'tweaking' to do - it simply works and MKV sees it if as it's connected via SATA? If so I may well connect via USB when the PC is rebuild rather than reinstall in the PC case itself. But I do not want to buy the (expensive) enclosure if MakeMKV 'sees' the drive differently and I have to faff around to get it to work. Thanks

BlueMac77
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: External Enclosure UK

Post by BlueMac77 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:36 pm

GazzaC wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am

I'm between PC's at the moment (rebuilding) and so using my laptop. My excellent UHD friendly Asus 16D1HT (Firmware 3.01) which is normally connected directly via SATA is currently sitting in a box. Am I right in thinking as its already UHD friendly that the USB connection, if I install to an enclosure such as this, works exactly as a SATA connection does, in the sense that I've no 'tweaking' to do - it simply works and MKV sees it if as it's connected via SATA? If so I may well connect via USB when the PC is rebuild rather than reinstall in the PC case itself. But I do not want to buy the (expensive) enclosure if MakeMKV 'sees' the drive differently and I have to faff around to get it to work. Thanks
Yes MakeMKV works well with the external enclosure OWC Mercury Pro as USB 3.0 as Plug N Play, no additional tweaking needed. I’m using an Asus 16D1HT drive in an OWC Mercury Pro external enclosure and works perfectly.

GazzaC
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Re: External Enclosure UK

Post by GazzaC » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 pm

BlueMac77 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:36 pm
GazzaC wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am

I'm between PC's at the moment (rebuilding) and so using my laptop. My excellent UHD friendly Asus 16D1HT (Firmware 3.01) which is normally connected directly via SATA is currently sitting in a box. Am I right in thinking as its already UHD friendly that the USB connection, if I install to an enclosure such as this, works exactly as a SATA connection does, in the sense that I've no 'tweaking' to do - it simply works and MKV sees it if as it's connected via SATA? If so I may well connect via USB when the PC is rebuild rather than reinstall in the PC case itself. But I do not want to buy the (expensive) enclosure if MakeMKV 'sees' the drive differently and I have to faff around to get it to work. Thanks
Yes MakeMKV works well with the external enclosure OWC Mercury Pro as USB 3.0 as Plug N Play, no additional tweaking needed. I’m using an Asus 16D1HT drive in an OWC Mercury Pro external enclosure and works perfectly.
Excellent, many thanks for confirming, got the enclosure winging its way to me now!

Post Reply