Windows 10 shows drive as different device

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Krawk

Windows 10 shows drive as different device

Post by Krawk »

Anyone ever seen this issue? I have an ASUS UHD Friendly BW-16D1HT but in device manager it appears to be shadowing my DVD drive and showing up as an ASUS DRW-24B1ST. Within MakeMKV or even other programs of similar nature it does show up correctly and functions correctly, but to the rest of the system, it just shows up wrong!
I've tried deleting device drivers as well as unplugging the ASUS DVD Drive, rebooting after each test but that doesn't change what it shows up as.
It's more an annoyance than say a broken system, but it sounds like we have some talent here that may be able to point me in the right direction.

Drive is connected to sata bus internally on MSI Gaming Series motherboard.
st4evr

Re: Windows 10 shows drive as different device

Post by st4evr »

First and foremost this is the “MakeMKV Support Forum”. Not the “Everything Support Forum”.

With that said, since MakeMKV sees the drive model correctly, then it obviously becomes a Windows issue. And it is a known issue that can occur. It sometimes appears to be a Windows registry reporting issue or a native driver reporting issue on other occasions. Often software will check/validate for hardware installed differently and not go/use with what Windows reports directly, hence why they report/show the correct drive model while Windows does not.

Sometimes the drive will not work in Windows and sometimes it’s just a simple cosmetic issue as you noted in your case, which could fix itself over time as Windows is updated or when the other drive is removed (but as you noted did not work in your case).

If it works regardless I would ignore it and move on. Attempting to modify registry and/or driver values by brute force can do more harm than good. If you are still curious or it’s that big of an issue there are literally thousands of Windows support forums available for discussions like this and many which already have discussions on this subject with advice on what can be done, but at your own risk.