No disc - LG BD-RE BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MercmayMKV10

No disc - LG BD-RE BH16NS55

Post by MercmayMKV10 »

Up until a few weeks ago I was happily copying Blu Ray discs to my Plex Server.
An hour ago I needed to copy the Blu Ray film "Red". MakeMKV said a new version existed so I downloaded it, updated the registration code and started the copy process. It got about halfway through then error'd out. Foolishly, I didn't take note of the error message as this happens sometimes with a "dirty/damaged" disc.

Since then the drive now fails to recognise or open any Blu Ray, (including any that it previously played/copied before). All it shows is "No disc". (Both in Makemkv and also in Windows 10 Explorer). It will still happily play/copy DVD's and CD's but not Blu Rays.

Has my drive just died or have I erroneously screwed something up. I read somewhere that my "Revocation List" might have been updated by the Blu Ray but that means very little to me... Note that although it says "no disc inserted" it does in fact have a Blu Ray disc inserted!

Can anyone suggest an approach or am I destined to spend an age purchasing/fitting and retro loading old firmware et al to a newly purchased drive.

All suggestions gratefully received...

Drive Details:

Drive Information
OS device name: I:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BH16NS55
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIK9NH198362
Firmware date: 2115-12-11 14:40
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 65

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

No disc inserted
Coopervid

Re: No disc - LG BD-RE BH16NS55

Post by Coopervid »

Your drive has a total of 3 lasers for the various kinds of discs (CD, DVD and BD) that are co-positioned - so very close next to each other. The most sensitive for all kinds of pollution is the BD, the least sensitive is the CD. It's very likely that the BD laser is defective or that the diode is polluted. To clean it please use a cleaning CD. If cleaning is not working then there is almost no hope and the BD laser is defective. The drive will still read DVDs and CDs but that doesn't help with BDs.
MercmayMKV10

Re: No disc - LG BD-RE BH16NS55

Post by MercmayMKV10 »

Thanks for your thoughts, I feared as much. I have already tried compressed air cleaning with no effect. I'll give your cleaning idea a go though I suspect I'm looking at a new drive.

Least it's only hardware and not data lost...

Update: Cleaning made no difference - purchased a new drive and all up and running again.