Help a newbie, UHD friendly drive, some questions

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
HelloThere

Help a newbie, UHD friendly drive, some questions

Post by HelloThere »

Hello there,

...and sorry for what I´m going to ask. I red already some of the "how to´s" and "UHD friendly drives", but I´m totally new
to this subjects and kind of confused, not sure what I really need.

I would like to rip some of my UHD 4K Blu Rays to my HDD. I red about his new easy libredrive mode and would like to give
this a try. Some UHD movies I like to rip direct, without any quality lost into an .mkv, some of them if there is a good BD menu
into .iso or straight the files/folders into an AVCHD folder. My player will read both .mkv and AVCHD folder (incl. UHD BD menu)
Ahh...and by the way, my UHD Blu Rays are European discs, if this make any differences.

Questions, to the drives I could buy? Following drives are avaible in my area:

1. LG Blu-ray BH16NS55
I have to crossflash this drive to an WH16NS60 Firmware?
I think all files I´m going to find here on the board, also the tutorial/program to do so?

2. Asus BD-RW BW-16D1H-U Pro external
I would prefer this external drive, as it would be easier to setup.
I´m sure this would be one of the latest versions of this drive, because the offer is a new one.
Is this a problem for flashing it?
What firmware should I use to flash this Asus drive?

Last questions, because I never used a program like makemkv.
1. Will I only be able to rip into a .mkv file (with makemkv)?
2. Is it possible to rip into .iso or just a 1to1 copy of the files on the UHD disc via makemkv?
3. If .iso / files copy isn´t possible, will I be able to copy those files just via MS Explorer, because of this new UHD friendly firmware or do I need another program to do this?

Thank you for your help...and again I´m sorry, but there are just to many informations on this board :)
I wrote this here, because in the first place, I need to get one of those drives.

Greetz HelloThere :)
rui-no-onna

Re: Help a newbie, UHD friendly drive, some questions

Post by rui-no-onna »

HelloThere wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:50 pm
Last questions, because I never used a program like makemkv.
1. Will I only be able to rip into a .mkv file (with makemkv)?
2. Is it possible to rip into .iso or just a 1to1 copy of the files on the UHD disc via makemkv?
3. If .iso / files copy isn´t possible, will I be able to copy those files just via MS Explorer, because of this new UHD friendly firmware or do I need another program to do this?
1. No. MakeMKV has a backup option that allows copying to a decrypted BDMV/AVCHD folder.

2. Straight to .iso is not possible but folder is as per #1.

3. MS Explorer will let you copy the files but they'll be encrypted so your player wouldn't be able to play it anyway. See #1 for a decrypted copy.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

HelloThere wrote:

Questions, to the drives I could buy? Following drives are avaible in my area:

1. LG Blu-ray BH16NS55
I have to crossflash this drive to an WH16NS60 Firmware?
I think all files I´m going to find here on the board, also the tutorial/program to do so?

2. Asus BD-RW BW-16D1H-U Pro external
I would prefer this external drive, as it would be easier to setup.
I´m sure this would be one of the latest versions of this drive, because the offer is a new one.
Is this a problem for flashing it?
What firmware should I use to flash this Asus drive?

Get the BH16NS55, the BW-16D1H-U Pro is not compatible for the 1000th time.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

Thank you for your answers !!!

@rui-no-onna:
Great....thx again. Everything I need !!

@Billycar11:
I´m sorry...but I´m a newbie.
May I ask you again why not compatible?
...and for what exactly, not compatible?
For UHD friendly use general or for using libredrive mode?

Because in the UHD Drive guide I see "ASUS BW-16D1HT Pro, UHD Friendly Internal 5.25"
Or is that a different drive, because it is the external version I ask for? (BW-16D1HT vs. BW-16D1HU)
And one last question, if I´m going to use the BH16NS55 (internal) as you recommed,
is it possible to use an external USB case to make it external and compatible?

Thank you for your help !!
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

Found the answer:

Woodstock wrote:
The USB Asus drives do NOT use a BDXL-compatible drive, so they do not work on UHD movies.

Even though the first 6 or 8 characters of the model number are shared with the BDXL-capable SATA drives, they aren't the same. I know... I bought one and found out.

O.K.

Then just my last question, if I can use an external USB3.0 case, for switching firmware and of course use
makemkv for UHD disc ripping incl. libredrive mode !?

Thx !!
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

HelloThere wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:11 pm
O.K.
Then just my last question, if I can use an external USB3.0 case, for switching firmware and of course use
makemkv for UHD disc ripping incl. libredrive mode !?
Some people have run into issues/errors when attempting to flash via USB connections. You'll have to try it and see if it works for you.

If not, then connect the drive via SATA to a PC and try again.
HelloThere wrote:

And read this:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

There are literal step-by-step video tutorials listed there. You have to do your part and take the time to read what's already available in this forum and go through the existing tutorials. We can't do this part for you or hold your hand through the whole process. This is an online forum, it's impossible without you doing your part in this.
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

Yes...and thanks for the information regarding firmware flashing with external USB3.0 cases.

I just ordered the BH16NS55 and one ICY BOX IB-550StU3S 5.25 case.
So in a few days I´m going to test the UHD friendly firmware flashing.
Hopefully everything will work. I already saw that there are easy flashing tools
@this board to do so. So I´m optimistic to get this working.
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

Well, my drive has arrived, also the Icy Box and everything is setup for flashing.
I red a lot of threads on this board, but I´m still kind of unsure what (and how) to flash the drive.
So I would like to ask a few more questions...please.

I got the LG BH16NS55, built 2018, with firmware 1.03.
Makemkv information on LibreDrive is: Status: Possible (with patched firmware) / Drive platform: MT1959

So I downloaded the BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe and found also the DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin.
If I understand this video correct (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfpf6HoMMis&t=3s), this should be anything I need to do, to make
my BH16NS55 1.03 drive, UHD friendly.

First question: Does that mean, after using DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin, the drive will be not only UHD friendly, but also
will be able to run and use Libre Drive mode?

What I don´t understand, is the difference between this DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin firmware, comes with flasher and those "mk" custom firmware
pack with LibreDrive patch, on this thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... S55#p79954

Second question: Is this DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin firmware, comes with the flash tool, already a "mk" version? Is that really all I need to do
for a complete UHD friendly and LibreDrive flash?

Last question: Someone ask on this board "what is now the recommended FW for an LG BH16NS55 crossflashed as ASUS BW-16D1HT?"
And now I´m totally confused :) Is there anything I miss? why crossflashing to the ASUS BW-16D1HT? Is this about getting around the sleep bug?

I´m ready to flash and don´t think I will run into problems, using the tools and firmware DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin, but maybe
I missed something so it would be nice, if someone could help my.

Thank you...
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

HelloThere wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:23 pm
Well, my drive has arrived, also the Icy Box and everything is setup for flashing.
I red a lot of threads on this board, but I´m still kind of unsure what (and how) to flash the drive.
So I would like to ask a few more questions...please.

I got the LG BH16NS55, built 2018, with firmware 1.03.
Makemkv information on LibreDrive is: Status: Possible (with patched firmware) / Drive platform: MT1959

So I downloaded the BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe and found also the DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin.
If I understand this video correct (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfpf6HoMMis&t=3s), this should be anything I need to do, to make
my BH16NS55 1.03 drive, UHD friendly.

First question: Does that mean, after using DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin, the drive will be not only UHD friendly, but also
will be able to run and use Libre Drive mode?

What I don´t understand, is the difference between this DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin firmware, comes with flasher and those "mk" custom firmware
pack with LibreDrive patch, on this thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... S55#p79954

Second question: Is this DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin firmware, comes with the flash tool, already a "mk" version? Is that really all I need to do
for a complete UHD friendly and LibreDrive flash?

Last question: Someone ask on this board "what is now the recommended FW for an LG BH16NS55 crossflashed as ASUS BW-16D1HT?"
And now I´m totally confused :) Is there anything I miss? why crossflashing to the ASUS BW-16D1HT? Is this about getting around the sleep bug?

I´m ready to flash and don´t think I will run into problems, using the tools and firmware DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin, but maybe
I missed something so it would be nice, if someone could help my.

Thank you...
1. Yes, UHD friendly and libredrive enabled. The diff is that DE (downgrade enabled) firmwares are already libredrive enabled. The MK firmwares are newer firmware versions that were not originally libredrive enabled, so mike admin has patched them to enable libredrive. PS: Don't forget, libredrive does not necessarily equal UHD friendly.

2. As per answer for Q1, MK firmwares are created from newer versions that were not downgrade or libredrive enabled. Therefore, no it is not a MK version but it is libredrive enabled.

3. Some people cross-flash their drives for many different reasons. The most common firmware versions cross-flashed to the BH16NS55 are:
  • LG WH16NS60 1.00 - this is an "Official" UHD firmware and is fast with no sleep bug.
  • ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10 MK - the MK version happens to be UHD friendly still and is about 15% faster than the BH16NS55 with 1.02.
Hope that helps.

Cheers
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

Thank you @MartyMcNuts and yes thats help :)
Now I understand a lot more....

Well, I still not sure what is the best solution for my drive, but I will go with DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin
for now. I have to start @ one point...so let me try this first. Maybe I will do later this crossflashing to LG WH16NS60 1.00,
and hope that is even possible:)

Thanks again...I will report how it went.
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

Here are my first results and problems...so far ;)

I flashed my drive with DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin, over USB external case.
No problems 100%, I´m on 1.02 LibreDrive ready.
So I rebooted the drive and first tried a standard BluRay, ripping into .mkv
Erverything went right, .mkv done, great :)

Next I tried to copy UHD Valerian, to my HDD (unencrypted).
Everything went o.k, until the drive started with the main .m2ts
Approximately at 50% of this file, I get those hash-check errors:

Hash check failed for file xxxx.m2ts at offset xxxxxxx, file is corrupt.
Too many hash check errors in file xxxx.m2ts.

But makemkv didn´t stopped, the drive just went slower reading.
It finished the reading, telling me no success.
In fact the complete UHD structure is on my HDD.
Also...this copy worked without any problems on my Oppo203 player.
The menu, all chapters, soundformats, I didn´t found any problem with this rip !?
Of course I have to check (see) the complete movie for a final result. But I´m
pretty sure it will work.

Next I tried to copy the UHD encrypted, same Hash-Check errors.
I red on this board, to clean the disc should help, so I did clean the disc but it look
extremly new and clean from the beginning. Same results, hash-check errors.
I also tried another USB 3.0 port....just to add this.

Then I red here, it should be possible by using version 1.12.2 makemkv, may help with this kind of errors.
I used the latest keys_hashed.txt but with also the same hash-check errors.

Well right now, I´m trying to rip the UHD into an .mkv
It´s still running, but there are also "corrupt or invalid at offset xxxxxx, attempting to work around" errors.

Any proposals on this issue?
I will try another UHD next...
Maybe trying to run the drive internal over sata!?
Or maybe using another firmware, that also will work with my LG BH16NS55?
Crossflashing?

Cheers...
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

I watched the UHD Valerian rip I made, including those hash-check errors.
About in the middle of the film, there are some artifacts :(
In one scene, 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times in this chapter, sound plays without any problems.
The rest of the copy works fine.

Btw. no artifacts when playing direct from the disc...

Hmmm...I double check the UHD disc and it is perfectly clean, looks brand new.

What should I try next? using an different firmware?
Crossflashing to another drive firmware?
Which one, should I use?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

HelloThere wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:33 am

What should I try next?
Clean the disk
Get a new disk
Try different UHD disk
Get a new drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
HelloThere

Post by HelloThere »

Well...as I wrote, the disc "is clean, like brand new" ;)

I did tried crossflashing to ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02.
Running into same problems with Valerian, without the hash-check errors, but it copy failed at the same region :(

Then I tried the LG BH16NS55 1.04 MK firmware.
Also...same hash-check errors. The drive seems to work faster with 1.04 MK

Right now, I´m trying to copy Men in black International. A brand new disc... I´ll report.

If this will failing, last idea is to try running the drive via internal sata.
But I feel those hash-check errors are more related to the disc, reading the disc without problems.
I don´t see, that there should be a problem with external USB,...but maybe the USB controller !?

Update:
Men in Black International UHD, ripped with BH16NS55 1.04 MK firmware without any problems :)
So maybe...there is a problem just with this Valerian disc? I need to test more UHD disc...that´s for sure.

Also...I did, for testing, an Valerian UHD .mkv rip (not a complete copy) yesterday. I get a lot of errors under BH16NS55 1.02
but the .mkv was finish. Just check the .mkv and I don´t find those artifacts, playing it on the pc. So I will test this files
also via the Oppo an will report.
Last edited by HelloThere on Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If MakeMKV saved the file, it survived a hash check to validate that the data was correct, so the likely candidate is the player's interpretation of the data. Is the Oppo playing it across a network, or as a local resource?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging