Best Firmware to flash an Asus BW-16D1HT?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Solverz

Best Firmware to flash an Asus BW-16D1HT?

Post by Solverz »

Hi Folks,

Just wondering on people's options on what is the best firmware to flash to the Asus BW-16D1HT Drive

The BW-16D1HT 3.10mk firmware or to crossflash to the WH16NS60 1.03mk

And the reasoning behind the decisions?
st4evr

Re: Best Firmware to flash an Asus BW-16D1HT?

Post by st4evr »

There are plenty of topics/posts on this already. Including this one only a couple of posts down from yours:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=20803

Forum search function works. Recommend you use it. It will save you time and many times headaches.
Solverz

Post by Solverz »

st4evr, yes I know how the forum search works, if you would re-read my question it was to ask if anyone has actually cross flashed the WH16NS60 1.03mk firmware on an Asus BW-16D1HT Drive or whether they just use the BW-16D1HT 1.10mk firmware

Also the post you have linked is a discussion for an LG DRIVE and NOT AN ASUS DRIVE which is why I posted this.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The reason cross-flashing works at all is because the controller hardware inside the drive is the same for both manufacturers. The Asus BW-16D1HT is one of THE most mentioned drives in the firmware topics, along with the firmware people have used for it. Someone even posted a speed comparison recently for different firmware on the same hardware.

I think St4evr's comment resolves around the multiple times per week that people post the SAME question, worded differently.

"I know this was asked and answered before, but what I want to know is what's the best version TODAY. All those other answers are SO YESTERDAY!"
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

As Woodstock advised, the internal hardware for many of these drives is the exact same. Just slapped with different vendor badges. Again, if you take the time to read the many posts discussing this subject, you would get a pretty good idea of how this all works. It is very well documented within the walls of this forum.

The post I linked goes into detailed regarding firmware for both your drive and others that will function exactly the same or very similarly with hardly any variance in performance. Specifically the posts from CIR Engineering, and some of the other links provided by members as well within that post. If you take a moment to read what has already been addressed many times over, things should come into focus.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.ph ... Crossflash
Solverz

Post by Solverz »

Awesome, thanks guys!!