Asus BW-16D1HT troubles

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Cave Man

Asus BW-16D1HT troubles

Post by Cave Man »

I've had this drive for a couple of years now and it's been working flawlessly on my hackintosh. However, today MakeMKV failed to open two different Blu-ray Discs (not UHD, just regular BD) with several SCSI errors. Both discs open just fine with MakeMKV on another hackintosh in my home. Any suggestions about troubleshooting as to what might be the problem? Hopefully, it's not an issue that can't be resolved without buying a new drive.

TIA.
st4evr

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT troubles

Post by st4evr »

1. Post a log of the errors as it may assist forum members in providing more informed advise. Simply saying “it’s broken” or “I get errors” doesn’t quite help us help you in providing more informed advise on these things. This is an online forum. We obviously do not have the visibly you do to the problem you are reporting from your end. So, any detailed information regarding the problem helps.

2. Does it work with other apps? E.g AnyDVD, DVDFab, etc.

Lastly, some of those drives are known to fail. Quickly or after some time. So based on the information you did provide and your troubleshooting step(s), it very much sounds like that may be the case. So do brace yourself for a possible purchase.
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

So, I shut the computer down and unplugged it for about 2 minutes and that seems to have fixed the problem. Weird.
DVD Maniac

Post by DVD Maniac »

As ever there is no definitive reason for this. I to had a 3.02 which worked fine with everything until AACS2.1 showed up and I had a lot of issues. Newer drives properly flashed to 3.10 work fine but when I upgraded the older drive to 3.10 I had the same problems which suggests the drive's laser or whatever is not up to the task or faulty. As ever with this technology the hardware has a limited working life. :roll: I suggest you simply move on with a new drive, latest FW and divert your time to more important things! :)