Ultimate UHD (slim) Drives 2020 advice request (post moved)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
newbiefromstars

Ultimate UHD (slim) Drives 2020 advice request (post moved)

Post by newbiefromstars »

Hello from a lost planet!
I did read lot of threads on this very informative forum but still, as many newbies, it may stay a bit confusing for simple minds like mine :)
I'm on the way to get a new BR burner and I would not be there is I did not plan to make it able to backup 4K BR.

It's not a irrevocable need but I would prefer a portable external (slim) solution. I did not read much that it was not advised, but I may have misunderstood and if you guys advise me to go internal regular 5.25, I could certainly live with that.

Now, I had a look on available units on my location (greetings from Finland), and I could easily get a LG BU40N (so I'll need a case to add) or two different models from Buffalo, the BRXL-PT6U2VB or BRUHD-PU3-BK (and these are already enclosed).

I'm unsure to understand all, but it seems that all of them are actually LG BU40N, am I right??? The differences being locked in the firmware, still right?
Or do the BRXL-PT6U2VB is a different drive than the most expensive BRUHD-PU3-BK, and possibly both of them not even close to the LG BU40N?

If they are all the same, buying the LG + an enclosure would cost just little more than the Buffalo BRXL-PT6U2VB. So maybe I save some time and go this Buffalo straight? Or should I keep on the original LG, or the more expensive BRUHD-PU3-BK?

I guess that the choice is more about the probability to succeeded flashing the drive, so, in short :
- which of those is the best candidate for a safe flashing?
- if the external slim are too weak, should I better go for a regular 5.25 (really can but really would prefer to other option if there no issue).

Ultimately, after many pages of many posts, if there is one best candidate from my initial casting, could someone drives me straight to the right firmware to download, because it starts being confusing from pages to pages : )

Thank you for your patience, I guess that it's a bit tiring to answer again and again similar questions.
Jere
PS: if this post doesn't belong to this pecular thread, feel free to move it to the appropriate place.
oddeyeball

Re: Ultimate UHD (slim) Drives 2020 advice request (post moved)

Post by oddeyeball »

Not sure about those, but I have an external Blu-ray slim burner BP50NB40 svc NB50 that works just fine. It's USB 2.0 though. Compared to my USB 3.0 enclosure with the WH16NS60 drive, it is slower by a couple minutes or so. Both are Libre drives and can work with UHD
newbiefromstars

Post by newbiefromstars »

I don't have this drive on store localy. Will stick with one of this options.
Thank you.
bobby121418

Post by bobby121418 »

Hello,
I found this thread as I too am looking for an external slim 4k/UHD drive to backup my 4K movie disks. For this I was looking at :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0742F7JTF/ ... UTF8&psc=1

I will do all flashing to enable 4K ripping, but my question is if this is a good drive and if there are other alternatives?
Many thanks
Bob
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634

That thread contains recommended drives.