WH14NS40 FW 1.00 needs help

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
The_AVB

Post by The_AVB »

I've got the above drive. I know it is UHD friendly and what I have read says it needs to be flashed to a lower FW for it to work with UHD discs. Since it is already at V 1.00 (2015/08/18) I'm not sure that is correct in this case.
I've not had the need to try and rip a UHD disc because until last month I didn't have a 4K TV to play it on. Now I do - so I borrowed a copy of Dark Phoenix in 4K and proceeded to make a backup copy. That worked fine with no delays, stoppages or glitches. I thought I could then open the disccat.dat file in MakeMKV and then rip that way as I have done that for regular BD discs. That didn't work as I get a failed to open disc error. Since there is no actual disc I don't know if that means my backup copy is bad or if it is something else.

So my questions are what did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

I've looked in all the wrong places for a guide so if one exists that would be good to look into also.

Thanks.
hart2hart

Post by hart2hart »

The_AVB wrote:I've got the above drive. I know it is UHD friendly and what I have read says it needs to be flashed to a lower FW for it to work with UHD discs. Since it is already at V 1.00 (2015/08/18) I'm not sure that is correct in this case.
I've not had the need to try and rip a UHD disc because until last month I didn't have a 4K TV to play it on. Now I do - so I borrowed a copy of Dark Phoenix in 4K and proceeded to make a backup copy. That worked fine with no delays, stoppages or glitches. I thought I could then open the disccat.dat file in MakeMKV and then rip that way as I have done that for regular BD discs. That didn't work as I get a failed to open disc error. Since there is no actual disc I don't know if that means my backup copy is bad or if it is something else.

So my questions are what did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

I've looked in all the wrong places for a guide so if one exists that would be good to look into also.

Thanks.
I believe there may have been two versions of hardware with the same model number. If my recall is correct, The older version which had a service code of 40 is not capable of being UHD friendly regardless of FW version.

Is the eject button a like a bump or a real button?

You should look at and ask question here.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18933
The_AVB

Re: WH14NS40 FW 1.00 needs help

Post by The_AVB »

Mine has a real button. I'll look at the link you provided. Thank you.