Advice on purchasing drives.

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
sweetymice

Advice on purchasing drives.

Post by sweetymice »

Been browsing the forums and reading up on drives and firmwares.

I am looking to buy 2 drives for ripping my movies for Plex. After reading the forums I would like advise on which one of these drives would be faster with using MakeMKV.

WH16NS40 firmware 1.02de or WH16NS60 firmware 1.00.

sweetymice
Billycar11

Re: Advice on purchasing drives.

Post by Billycar11 »

They can be the same speed if you flash WH16NS60 firmware to both other wise the WH16NS60 is faster
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm
They can be the same speed if you flash WH16NS60 firmware to both other wise the WH16NS60 is faster
I agree with Billycar11.

I would be happy to help and advise you on purchasing your own drives and flashing. Or I can provide you pre-flashed drives at a keen price.

I have large inventory of drives in stock.

PM or email me.

uhdfriendlydrives@gmail.com

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19387
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
SnowDog

Post by SnowDog »

I've just joined to vouch for asmcom's previous post.

I've been using MakeMKV for some time. I recently upgraded my TV and SKY and am now UHD capable. I also recently built a new PC after the other one was bricked by a power-cut. So I started looking for UHD/Blu-ray drives for my disk collection now that I have limitless watching time available to me.

Last week I got my fingers burned. I purchased an Archgon MD-8102P-U3YC-UHDB-K from Amazon. It ticked all the right boxes in the advertising - but this was before I discovered it simply didn't work, and then found out about the LibreDrive issue (first through MakeMKV itself, then on here). The device was based on the Panasonic BDR-UD04, for which I could find no firmware updates of any kind, which I'd happily have carried out had there been any. It refused to read a 2019/2020 UHD disk (not sure if it could do older ones, which I suspect it might have been capable of) and produced a lot of fatal errors in MakeMKV. And there was no indication of it becoming LibreDrive compatible any time soon. I've sent it back and got a refund.

Seeing one of asmcom's posts, I ordered one of the one's he sells through eBay mainly because of the guarantee he gives that they work (it may even have been the above post I saw). Not particularly relevant, it was actually a better price than on Amazon, too.

It came today and it DOES work right out of the box. It doesn't even get noticeably warm in use (the Archgon did). It also has a thicker outer shell than the Archgon - I'd noticed you had to be careful when closing the drawer on that because the top and bottom bowed slightly and prevented it closing if you held it in the wrong place, but the Vantec doesn't do that.

There are many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes. But if you don't like any of the other ways, the one I've just used is worth going for.

I know this sounds like a paid-for advert, but trust me: it isn't, and I don't know asmcom personally. It's exactly like I explained it, and I found this forum's discussion(s) on the subject as I began to try and figure out why the one I initially bought didn't do what it said it could.