LG WH16NS40-SVC-NS50 FW 1.04

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
SilentJim1980

LG WH16NS40-SVC-NS50 FW 1.04

Post by SilentJim1980 »

Hello, new user here (I apologize in advance for the noob questions)
Drive Image:
I just recently had an issue where my LG-WH14NS40-SVC-NS40 (Manufactured 1/6/2015) FW 1.03 quit reading B/R disc , but would read regular disc. I didn't read up on the subject & flashed FW in an attempt to see if it would correct the issue.(noob mistake I know) hence I bricked the drive (I think & am pretty sure as it won't read any disc now & trying a new FW flash either errors or works but the drive won't spin up / read any disc).

Long story short I purchased a new drive from amazon & it was delivered today, here is the link: amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7B08MS/ref=pp ... UTF8&psc=1 Image

Here is a picture of the drive info:

I've searched the forums for what I need to do to make this "4k ready" but there are multiple / conflicting post about firmware versions, side flashing, using one unlocked FW updater vs. another. I'd rather not brick this drive & have to deal with a RMA to amazon.

In as clear concise instructions as able, what steps do I need to do to:
1. Backup the firmware / drive information (drive configuration or speed I think I have seen mentioned) the drive came with (obviously in case something goes horribly wrong).
2. Which firmware loader to use (Unlocked / Stock from LG's website) & which firmware (i've seen WH16NS40 1.03, 1.02, 1.00..DE ..MK & even stock firmware from LG's website).

Sorry for the long post & question's probably already answered question's somewhere in the labyrinth of post here on the forums. Any responses appreciated & thank you in advance.
d00zah

Re: LG WH16NS40-SVC-NS50 FW 1.04

Post by d00zah »

All questions answered in the 1st post of this Stickie:

Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2020