Help or advice please - Asus drive not reading 4K UHD discs anymore

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
flashp

Help or advice please - Asus drive not reading 4K UHD discs anymore

Post by flashp »

Hi all, first of all, I'm probably not as knowledgeable on preparing a new drive for this function so if anyone who replies could keep that in mind when I'd be grateful. I'm happy following instructions but please don't make any assumptions along the way :lol:

My drive, an Asus BC-12D2HT, has recently started acting up when trying to read UHD discs and it seemingly has the same problem reading Blu-Ray discs (Oil in the Blood). It can however read a DVD. It's a 2019 drive and I bought it ready to go for UHD compatibility. I'll list what's going on below.

- Using Make MKV software
- Start software then put disc in drive, software doesn't see the disc. Drive can be heard making noises as if it's repeatedly trying to scan or read. When it fails to read noises stop.
- It did subsequently read one disc as normal then failed to repeat a successful read.
- Firmware is 3.11
- UHD discs were recent releases - 1917 & Midway. Brand new unmarked discs
- In the past, after running Make MKV successfully it has been necessary to close the software and re-start it before moving on to a second disc. Software couldn't read a second disc without a re-start.
- Tried drive on another PC, same behaviour

Any ideas what's going here?

Thanks.
flashp

Re: Help or advice please - Asus drive not reading 4K UHD discs anymore

Post by flashp »

OK, an additional bit of info to add. I removed this drive and re-fitted a standard BD drive and continued to use my PC. This morning I re-fitted the UHD drive with it in mind to collect some log files and thought I'd try Midway again. First time it failed to read and the second was successful.

In between the first attempt and the second I enabled logging and restarted the software.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

flashp wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:52 am
In between the first attempt and the second I enabled logging and restarted the software.
The paranoid among us would say, "It knew it was being watched, so it decided to behave."
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
flashp

Post by flashp »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:40 pm
flashp wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:52 am
The paranoid among us would say, "It knew it was being watched, so it decided to behave."
:lol: Indeed.
I just tried 1917 again and it loaded as normal so guess there's nothing to add.

The only other thing I can think of relates to something I did. For Blu-Ray discs where there are multiple mpls files I use Process Monitor to look for an mpls file to load when playing the disc with PowerDVD and I tried to do this with a 4K disc. Since I don't have a 4K monitor it displayed an error, can't remember what exactly. I did wonder whether something had become corrupted. I had already uninstalled and re-installed the software and at the time it made no difference.
probedb

Post by probedb »

I've just had this happen except the drive now refuses to read anything but standard DVD, won't even read standard BR any more :(
flashp

Post by flashp »

probedb wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:08 pm
I've just had this happen except the drive now refuses to read anything but standard DVD, won't even read standard BR any more :(
Mine remains functional, for now at least. Please update us when you have it sorted. Bit of an odd one this...
flashp

Post by flashp »

It's dicking about again...