Teardown for WH16NS60??

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
gt4400

Teardown for WH16NS60??

Post by gt4400 »

I had a disc get stuck inside my WH16NS60. I managed to get it out by using the brute force method and now the drawer doesn't close properly. When I do try to force it shut, I can hear the ratchet sound of the gears that operate it. Does anyone know of a youtube video or guide that shows a teardown or other repair, disassemble, etc that would help me to open it up further (beyond just the external shell) and then put back together?

I know now that I should have searched for a video before resorting to brute force to open it, but I'm hoping I haven't bricked it and can save the drive.

Thanks!
Billycar11

Re: Teardown for WH16NS60??

Post by Billycar11 »

gt4400 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:19 am
I had a disc get stuck inside my WH16NS60. I managed to get it out by using the brute force method and now the drawer doesn't close properly. When I do try to force it shut, I can hear the ratchet sound of the gears that operate it. Does anyone know of a youtube video or guide that shows a teardown or other repair, disassemble, etc that would help me to open it up further (beyond just the external shell) and then put back together?

I know now that I should have searched for a video before resorting to brute force to open it, but I'm hoping I haven't bricked it and can save the drive.

Thanks!
i do hope you tried the emergency eject with a paper clip or similar before your method

Eject the tray while powered or the emergency eject port

Disconnect drive

Pop off the drive bezel not tray bezel 3 clips 2 on sides and 1 bottom just leave it hanging on tray it can't come off unless you remove tray bezel or tray

Remove 4 screws on the bottom

Flip back over and lift the top straight up it can take some jiggling and pulling out on the sides a bit

You then have access the laser right away

Assemble in reverse order

Additional info
the disk hold down mechanism is part of the top case so you can not run disks without the case on unless your an ultra haxor

The bottom of the case has thermal pads if you remove it make sure they go back
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
gt4400

Re: Teardown for WH16NS60??

Post by gt4400 »

That did the trick, I'm back in business! I did try the paper clip, but it was unsuccessful.

Thanks for your help!!!