Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware crashes? Faulty drive?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
monkeymindboy

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware crashes? Faulty drive?

Post by monkeymindboy »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:29 pm
I have my bw-16d1ht flashed with ns60 1.00 firmware right now. For speed control on all my NS60 drives, after testing the crap out of it with re-ripping all my dolby vision discs, I came to the conclusion that for me, the best setting is:

0=99;U3=0

I had the most success with that while still retaining fast speeds for non triple layer UHD's.
Hi SamuriHL,
Do you have any speed setting suggestions for older drives? I still use an external LG WH16NS40 pre SVC NS50 drive when I want to fire up all three of my drives. I tried 0=99 and the drive went crazy. I removed it and everything was fine. Just curious with all of you research you have done.
Thanks, Eric
Windows 10 Pro
LG WH16NS40 - UHD Friendly
Asus BW-16D1HT - UHD Friendly
LG WH16NS40 - External Drive - Blu-Ray
HD/DVD - XBOX360 - External Drive
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

My 3 drives are all on ns60 1.00 firmware so I've not tested other drives or firmware. Older drives might benefit from having settings for each media type set individually. That way you can really fine tune each media type to get the best performance. Obviously this will take some testing to find the best settings for your particular drive across all supported media types.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Liersi

Post by Liersi »

Oh, I hadn't seen this thread when I made mine about what seems to be the same issue. Just to add to the pile here: my ASUS BW-16D1HT had trouble reading or successfully completing UHD rips as well on 1.15.2. It all magically worked again after cross-flashing it to an LG WH16NS60 1.02MK. Before that it was like people here report, sometimes not even detecting a disc (no disc).
Bolter

Post by Bolter »

I too have this problem. It started at least 2 versions ago. I have not changed my firmware, it is on the original firmware that it came with (which is ver.3.00)
I am not trying to read UHD disks, just Blu rays and dvds but the drive now doesn't read the disks it just seems to freeze the software and I am unable to eject the disk unless I reboot the pc. I am running windows 10 pro. Current version of Makemkv being used is 1.15.2

Is there any suggestions for a fix?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Bolter wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:45 am
I too have this problem. It started at least 2 versions ago. I have not changed my firmware, it is on the original firmware that it came with (which is ver.3.00)
I am not trying to read UHD disks, just Blu rays and dvds but the drive now doesn't read the disks it just seems to freeze the software and I am unable to eject the disk unless I reboot the pc. I am running windows 10 pro. Current version of Makemkv being used is 1.15.2

Is there any suggestions for a fix?
Try going back to makemkv v 1.15.1.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Mondays

Post by Mondays »

Had same problem. ASUS drive started locking up / shutting down during attempted rip and required a PC reboot to get it working enough to eject the Blu- Ray movie.

I downgraded MakeMKV to v1.5.1 and issue seems fixed - Will use this version until I run into disks that won't work with the older MakeMKV version. At that point I will try the latest version, and if that does not work I will try to flash with the LG firmware.

One thing, not sure if related, a few months ago I removed Java not thinking I had anything that used it anymore. I just realized MakeMKV uses it, maybe that broke something in latest version of MakeMKV ?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Lack of Java shouldn't crash MakeMKV. I just eliminates the 'best guess' of a valid playlist for Lionsgate, et al, titles. Many users are unaware it's even a option.
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

Navvie wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:53 pm
On the original 3.01 firmware, 1.15.2 kept giving me errors on discs or telling me tht no disc was inserted.

I flashed to NS60 1.00 firmware, rebooted... no disc.

Flashed to 3.10MK and everything seems to work. Ripped a few UHDs and Blu-Rays. Got an old Blu-Ray backing up now and it reach 10.4x speed. Can't complain.
This was premature. Only upgrading to 1.15.3 fixed the problems I was experiencing.

I even bought a new drive, BH16NS40 and on various firmwares and LibreDrive speed settings, that had the same problems.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
AlexChris003

Post by AlexChris003 »

I have somewhat a similar problem.
For me, it fails with only Disc 1 of 3 in UHD.
First I tought it might be only "MEDIUM ERROR or "corrupt or invalid at offset" errors", but after cleaning the disc thoroughly and it working fine in the player at the TV I'm not so sure anymore.
Because I tried 3 different MakeMKV-Versions (first .3, then .1 and now .2) and all of them show the same behaviour it always stopps at the same point.
It reads the Disc up until the specific point, then says it failed and aborted.
And finally it shows partly the behaviour which is discussed here, it doesn't recognise the disc anymore until I eject it with the physical button because the button in the program doesn't work.
Or is it really a defective disc?

Windows 10 x64
Asus BW-16D1HT (1959) with 3.10MK installed
MakeMKV Version 1.15.1, .2 and .3

EDIT:
Same happend with Season 2 Disc 1 now...
morbius

Post by morbius »

Interesting situation with Superman - The Movie UHD on my Asus BW-16D1HT on 3.10MK. 1.15.3 could barely register the disc had been loaded on multiple attempts, when it did register the disc as being loaded, the title decryption stage struggled badly and eventually loads of errors appeared in the makemkv log window. Tried 1.15.1, also a nightmare. Tried another PC/drive combo, also a nightmare. On the point of giving up, I installed 1.14.5 (last of the 14.x versions that handles subtitle flags to my preference), and the disc loaded first time, decrypted without fuss, then steadily but surely ripped its way through the triple-layer disc.
morbius

Post by morbius »

Follow-up to the post I just made. The Superman UHD issue I had with 1.15.x is reproducible. Having successfully ripped with 1.14.5, I switched back to the current version, and immediately had issues with opening the disc. Power-cycling the drive and dropping down to 1.14.5 then worked again.