LG BH16NS40 unable to load or open any disc

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
ZeroBuffoonery

LG BH16NS40 unable to load or open any disc

Post by ZeroBuffoonery »

Hey y'all. Been using makeMKV for awhile now and today is the first time I've had any issues. I definitely think it's my drive or the computer, not the program. Today, I ripped a UHD without any issue. When it was complete, I inserted another UHD and it failed to load the disc or even recognize a disc. It acted the same whether I inserted a UHD, BD, or DVD. Within a second or two of inserting the disc it would say, no disc inserted. Without attempting to even read the disc it would seem. I was using a USB enclosure, so I plugged directly into the motherboard and nothing changed. The log doesn't show anything, I'm assuming since the program is not even trying to read the disc. Unless something in the drive failed between rips today, I'm at a loss for what it could be. Both makeMKV and Windows recognize the drive but neither will load anything. I've been using this drive with makeMKV for about 14 months.

Drive:
LG BH16NS40
FW 1.02

Thanks in advance for any help.
ZeroBuffoonery

Re: LG BH16NS40 unable to load or open any disc

Post by ZeroBuffoonery »

Update:

Drive is an LG WH16NS40, guess the BH was the firmware.... But I flashed the firmware today to the new 1.05 from the MK package and it made no changes. The process was extremely easy thanks to the pinned tutorial, BTW, so thanks for that. Still get a No Disc Inserted message without the drive even attempting to read the disc. Completely disassembled the drive again, continuity checked the ribbons cables, and no obvious component damage. Seems a component, maybe the spindle motor died in between rips, which seems crazy. Sad day. Ended up ordering another drive. If anyone has any idea, I'd still love to fix this one. Thanks.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

May be a long shot, but can you drive be flashed to WH16NS60? I encountered the same behaviour on three of my drives with 1.15.2, made a thread asking, and finally solved my issues by flashing ALL of my drives to WH16NS60. There are a few threads now documenting reading/recognizing issues that were solved in the same way. Could be coincidence, could be a different underlying issue independent of MakeMKV. If you're drive is compatible with the firmware, it's so easy that's it's worth a shot.
ZeroBuffoonery

Post by ZeroBuffoonery »

Thanks for the suggestion! I just flashed the drive with the WH16NS60 firmware and same issue persists. A new drive should be here today that I'll try and if it works, I guess my drive just failed a couple minutes after a successful rip....doesn't seem right though.